Considering Dumping NOD32 For KIS 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by poutine, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Hi.
    My subscription to NOD32 is nearly up ( been two years) and i just recieved my renewal notification. But over the last year ESET and NOD32 have been beset with problems and i dont know that i trust it anymore.
    Anyway for the last two weeks i have been using Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 on a 60 day trial and must say i am more than impressed with it. But it to has a few niggles, one being it slows my Internet Explorer 7 down even though i unticked ports 443 and 80 as advised by Kaspersky Tech Support. And the updates are slow even on my 8MB connection.
    So its decision time for me, if any of you guys or girls were in my position, which one would you choose now and what would sway you ?
    Thank you. :)

I am using XP Pro and also use a NAT Router ! PC Specs are under....

2. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

Why limit yourself to trialing only Kaspersky?

There are other excellent contenders out there as well, such as Avira, Symantec and AVG. If there are issues about Kaspersky that bother you, why not give some of the other names a try?

3. risl

risl Registered Member

Try different products and select the one you like most, I think all the major vendors are able to provide sufficient protection. Kaspersky has a very good reputation and have been a top product for many years in a row, so that might be an excellent choise. NIS2009 has received good reviews and user experiences here have been mostly positive.

4. poutine

I should of said that i have actually been trialing a few different Internet Security Suites, just using my True Image Backup each time, and i narrowed it down to Keeping NOD32 or moving to KIS 2009.
    Avira and AVG and PCTools and BitDefender just didnt cut it for me. Norton 2009 looks good but its ridiculously expensive.

5. icr

icr Registered Member

For me KIS 2009 is much better than NOD32.I used them both on trial version but i liked KIS and bought 1 year license it is still running on my brother's computer. I personally use NIS 2009 but if u feel thats expensive than u should choose KIS.
    BDTS 2009 :Crap product has many bugs

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw have you got the lastest network drivers installed?
    only thing not listed in your sig is your motherboard so i cannot give you a link to the drivers.
    updating your network drivers may solve the slow internet isssue. plus of course nvidia motherboards/driver are known to be flakey.

7. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

In that case, go with Kaspersky.

The fact you received a reply from Kaspersky support means you had better luck with it than you'll likely have with ESET's. Kaspersky typically outperforms NOD32 in detection, and while its heuristics is slightly weaker than NOD32's, Kaspersky has behavior blocking and whitelisting functions to back it up. Kaspersky adds new definitions to the database much faster than ESET as well.

IE slowing down is a problem, but slow updates shouldn't be an issue since everything happens automatically in the background anyway. In my experience the slow update is due to the updater authenticating itself and searching for a good mirror to download from. Once the actual download begins the process is pretty quick.

8. poutine

:D Now .. For the last few days i am not using my own pc as it is back at novatech for a service, ( i just didnt bother changing my sig) my current test machine is only my old Pentium 4 3GHz with 1 GB RAM.
    The Mobo is a Abit AL8 - V and all the drivers are up to date.
    I know the different AVs will peform a whole lot better and differently on my Quadcore when i get it back, but as they run so well on this old machine i should imagine they'd fly on my beastie when i get it back.
    The internet speed tests and all other software on here perform well, getting
    7200 up and 442 down.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Did you personally experience any problems?

10. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Have a go trialling NAV 2009 or NIS 2009.
    You'll get a nice shock.

Been anti-symantec for years but hat's off to them now.
    Single licence covers up to 3 home PC's too!

:D

11. poutine

Yes,
    Bad all round detection of spyware and trojans. ( KIS 2009 picked up a few hidden ones in my downloads folder) keyloggers etc.
    High CPU usage.
    Totally screwed my Outlook Express accounts in earlier versions. And still has hiccups to this day !!
    Firewall isnt up to scratch.
    Customer support isnt very good.
    Updates arent pushed out fast enough.

But having said all that i do still like it, i just feel ESET really lost the plot this year.

By the way i found Norton Internet Security 2009 on Amazon for ........... £22.30

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  12. Medank

Medank Registered Member

consider that top3 right now are: Avira, Kaspersky, Symantec, just choose one of them and i think you will be protected real good.

13. poutine

Thanks guys . ;)

Yeah i think so to. I might trial NIS 2009 and see what i think. Its about the only one i havent tested yet.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw atm kaspersky is beta testing an update to their emulator which will reduce fp's and improve speed and detection. im sure kaspersky heristics will soon be as good if not better than eset's

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You don't think that the guys at Slovakia are sleeping , do you ? ;)

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

of course not but competition is good isnt it?

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.