Connectivity

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Often times, 'Microsoft Solitaire Connection' says trouble connecting to internet, then after a brief wait, connects.

Note during the time 'MSC' says trouble connecting to internet, I'll immediately try, my browser FF, which connects & does not have a problem reaching home page.

Also 'KIS' AV occasionally, says failed to 'update'

Also occurring at the time of the above, was my internet connection would switch from ethernet to wifi, for no apparent reason.

Replaced modem, bridged, so Asus RT-A68U, handles the WIFI, while my computers are ethernet connected. & other apps are wifi

The random change from ethernet to wifi, is SOLVED, via remove battery from UPS. The first two paragraphs problems persist.

Changed, switches, cables, modem, update Asus router firmware. Tried Ipconfig this or that, winsock thing. Restore to with Macrium.

Can the problem be with MSC & KIS fail to connect, reside on there end?

Also very frustrating is: Chrome (browser) often times, won't load & complains of Network change. Sometimes, running CCleaner fixes Chrome other time NOT. Sometime reboot fixes Chrome log on, other times not, same for ipconfig & winsock

DSL connection (complained to provider), visited no help. On a win 10 64 machine.

Not sure where to look, or if it's MSC or KIS problem sporadic.

Previous speed checks internet, would work at NORMAL then sporadically, fall to almost 'ZERO' speed, like causing, streaming to movies etc to stop. This seems resolved.

Any ideas? Some of the above would seem to be resolved, only to re-occur weeks or months later.

Thanks Guy

2. lofac

lofac Registered Member

Can you try to ping either of the websites and see the results?
    You can try so, by opening a CMD window and type: ping dnl-17.geo.kaspersky.com

If the 4 packets are successful sent & received, then you may try to ping it infinity by adding -t at the end of the above line. Disconnects with "request time out" shows there's a connection problem from your computer to the server (or your connection in general).. To make sure it's not kaspersky's server issue, you may open more CMD windows and ping one or two major sites like google.com, if you get similar results with "request timed out" it's most likely an issue with your computer or your modem.

You can report back with results by right clicking in CMD window, then "Select All", then CTRL+C OR Enter key and insert them in a reply as [ code ].

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.192]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping dnl-17.geo.kaspersky.com

Pinging dnl-17.geo.kaspersky.com [38.124.168.125] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 38.124.168.125: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=49
    Reply from 38.124.168.125: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 38.124.168.125:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 43ms

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [172.217.14.174] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 172.217.14.174: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=54
    Reply from 172.217.14.174: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 172.217.14.174:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 17ms

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

This intermittent problem existed, with an old Verizon modem & replaced by phone company did not help. Or helped a little. When it was real bad, streaming movies TV not computer, would come to a halt. During that lack of streaming, I'd run to the computer, & go to speedtest. c o m, where the graph of speed would be very close to zero. An hour or so later, speedtest, was normal, then happen again. The phone co. came out replaced the modem/bridged, so the Asus Router handles WiFi. The phone co. doubled my download speed.
    Just ran speedtest, got 12.88mbps down & 0.89mbps up, randomly new or old modem, the little gauge (speedtest) would be close to zero. Verizon sold to Frontier & the old Verizon was updated to an enhanced internet by Frontier. So far I've not caught gotten a bad speed report with new modem.

What persists is Microsoft Solitaire Connection, KIS. reports having trouble connecting to internet, & Chrome fails with network_change error. Same thing on another machine, on my network.

No driver errors, & updating them not the solution.

5. lofac

lofac Registered Member

This really looks like to me just a line/Wifi problem especially since it is intermittent. Having contacted your ISP, did they guide you on a few changes/tweaks in the router settings? like DSL settings in router is the usual cause for these sort of random disconnects (that's if it is not an issue on ISP part). Have you your ISP asked you to change anything there?
    What's the DSL mode you're currently using? - The router settings is different from router to another, but you may look for 'DSL' setting and see which mode is selected, if you cannot find it, let me know what's your router model.

To understand correctly, you're saying that when this sort of disconnecting happens, it happens in all your devices that's connect by both, cables and wifi? (during that exact time when you notice your streaming is stopped?)

Also, during these disconnects, you may take a look at which LEDs of your router are lighting and report back to me.

Note: you should run these pings for quicker checking of your internet status, instead of using speedtest. If once you try to ping a site, and the window opens for few seconds, shows nothing, then it closes, that means your internet is down.

What's confusing me, is that you mention that your internet disconnects, but at the same time you're able to open speedtest website and yet it reacts as if your internet is nearly down (!)

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Iofac thank you for your help here.

I don' t think disconnect is correct, it would slow down so much that streaming failed, hence the really near 0 from speedtest. Could the connection slow down so much, momentarily, thus giving the messages previously stated?

When for instance MSC shows, "Checking Internet > Were having difficulty connecting to the internet. While happening, I should try 'ping?'

Yes both cable & wifi, show the same glitch.
    Phone Company, did make changes to the router, I thought that was something to do with bridge-ing,

Not familiar with 'DSL MODE'
    Note as both wired & wireless share the problem, can it still be the Router?

Wire's go like this: From wall to MODEM > then CABLE to ROUTER > then out the back of ROUTER cable to, my 4 machines in the garage all ethernet. The rest of the house is
    WiFi. Would unplug ethernet from router & plug directly into the modem, be helpful for troubleshooting.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/594320/Asus-Rt-Ac68u.html?page=2#manual
    Also see 'gargoyle's https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/356196
    the 192.168.0.1 is a hot link in his post, results in 404 error.

Also if degugging mode is necessary, is it just close or reboot to exit debug?

Thanks
    Rico

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. lofac

lofac Registered Member

Yes, by disconnect I mean the connection is not stable - in other words, it briefly (like once each millisecond) disconnect, this could easily cause the inability to use the internet as you explaining. That's why the ping utility can be very useful here to determine if that's the case or not.. my advice is that you run ping google.com -t all the time your computer is on, it has no harm at all, you just leave it running in the background and take a quick look at it every minute or so, as long as it is maintaining frequent the same messages that starts with "reply from xxxxx etc." it means your connection is fine. BUT if you see a frequent messages with "Request timed out" then this reflects there's a problem with the connection.

When was the last time this kind of connection issue happened?
    Your router page should be either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 try both and see which one works, you may copy the numbers into URL area just as I've written them. Afterwards it will as for username & password, the defaults are: admin for both username & password. It may differ if they were changed or sometimes the router manufacturer may change them to something like, in which case you may refer to the router manual or on the back of the router sometimes the default login is written there, with the router model number.

Yes it could be the router itself as a device, or its settings, or your line quality is low, in the latter case you have nothing you can do except talking to your ISP. We may first try changing few settings and see where this leads.
    So, after opening router page try to look for 'DSL' page, I cannot know where to find it exactly since I do not know what's your router model.
    In some routers it usually follows like this: under 'Status' page, then WAN, then DSL, there will be information under 'Line Status' which has several attributes like "Line Standard", "Upstream line rate", "Downstream line rate" and few more. If you managed to find this page you can copy its contents here or take a screenshot of it.

It would be very helpful in troubleshooting this issue to do so, since it could be one of these could be the issue, so try plugging it directly for some time and see if that changes anything.
    In fact, we may as well try to see if that changes anything in line status, and that could be very helpful in determining where's the issue. You may follow the following 2 steps.

First: kindly let everything as it is in current state with the cables and router, and take a copy of information about Line status as I explained above.
    Second: after taking a copy of Line status when all routers and modems are connected like it has been. Now plug your device directly and obtain another copy of the same information and kindly post them here.
    It's not usually necessary to enter debug mode just to get these basic information about connection status. Also note that they could be very well talking about another router model different than yours. You may just follow my above explanation on how to get to these info. If you didn't manage to do so, you can easily let me know your router model and I'll try to look into it. As I said you should find router model on its back, or on router's box, or router's manual paper.

8. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

@Rico I would install network monitor software on all the computers and the next time it happens, analyse each one to see if there was any unusual activity on any of your machines at the time.

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Update - I have no problem reaching my router page, cannot find anything regarding dsl

Since my last post the system has been stable, none of the problems above have happened <fingers crossed>

Thanks

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Thought my network gremlins were gone. This may be an indicator

Tried to open Chrome today got:
    2018-02-06_14-59-24.jpg

This has never happened with FF only Chrome.
    1. How to fix, seems like one time this works, next time not. Tried allot things
    2. Anyway to make Chrome less sensitive.

Previous post mentioned something about software to watch the network, any free, i'm using win10 64bit, can such software point the finger at the guilty?

11. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

This happens to me occasionally too, if I turn my VPN on and start Chrome before the VPN fully connects when it does connect it will cause Chrome to do this, so are you using a VPN?

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice