connectiong 3 computers...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Griogair, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griogair

Griogair Registered Member

hey...was trying to transfer the music from one of my laptops to the other

first off i tried using the lan network in my uni halls to transfer from one port to the other...but was having trouble getting on of them to connect.

it was then my idea to use the lan cable from the socket to connect both notebooks together....

however i have no idea how to make the two work together.

as far as i got was typimg the commands in 'run' to tell my comps ip address.

*edit* title: connecting 2 computers!!! :p

:oops: any advice??

thanks!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Easiest way is to plug into an existing network and share a folder on each machine and transfer data between folders.

2nd option is to plug in a "Crossover" cable directly between 2 machines, and again share a folder on each machine and transfer data between folders, further information here

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  3. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

If you can't get both PCs onto an existing network, you will need to connect them together using a crossover network patch cable as Blackspear said.

To get them to see each other, you'll need to make them part of the same Windows Network Workgroup (not domain) - you can call the workgroup anything you like, as long as they are both on the same workgroup. I usually set mine up as MAIN since it's quick'n'easy to type. Set this up in

Right-click My Computer
    Select Properties
    Select the Computer Name tab
    and set the workgroup in there.

You'll need to set them to IP addresses on the same subnet - such as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 in both cases, as an example. The IP addresses need to be set up in the network properties of the LAN adapter of each PC. Shout if you need guidance to do that.

Then, once you've shared the relevant folders to make copying files possible, you should be all set.

Hope that also helps. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.