Confusion Reigns

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Shankle, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Don't get me wrong I am totally satisfied with ESS
    and as you read a forum like Wilders somebody always has a better mousetrap. These are pushed by people who might or might not know what they are talking about. There is a limit to how many programs a person can buy to insure security and at $30+ this can add up rather quickly.
    Running ESS why would I need "Sandboxie or H.I.P.S" etc.....?

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

ESS is very good, but needs some time to detect new threats, like any other antivirus software. And heuristic don't always catch anything. Running Sandboxie to control suspicious file's behaviour and/or sandboxing the web browser and/or using HIPS are very good ways to prevent being infected by new threats, when normal signatures and heuristics cannot detect something.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That's a good thing regardless of the AV\Firewall.

Given one could replace the name ESS with any top tier AV\Firewall, my personal thoughts are that you would receive a better discussion if a AV\Firewall installed, do I need "Sandboxie or H.I.P.S" thread was started in our other anti-malware software forum. This would allow comments concerning other programs and not over step the boundaries of this being a forum strictly for Eset support.

Bubba

4. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Didn't intend to overstep any boundries.
    Delete message if you think it does not belong here.
    I feel that the anti-malware site is a bit biased toward
    the other mentioned programs and I possibly couldn't
    get an unbiased opinion there.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No "boundries" have been steppped over but will if a discussion of anti-malware programs(Sandboxie or H.I.P.S) develops.

On the flip side, I'll have to say one couldn't find a better group of folks with opinions galore and the majority are unbiased when it comes to topics such as this.

We'll simply see how it goes and move the thread to a more appropriate forum if the need arises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.