Confused by comparisons

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bluesmanuk, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesmanuk

bluesmanuk Registered Member

I have been playing around with B&R Free and found that it works a treat for both backup and restore.

I was going to take up the offer of the Hard Disk Manager 12 suite because according to the feature list, it has the option for incremental backup.

Then I spotted B&R 12 Home but the compare editions lists states that incremental backup is not available in the hard disk suite (which i do find to be an incredible omission if that is the case).

Can anybody confirm whether the hard disk suite will perform incremental backups?

On another quick point, my usual product of choice which I am ditching because it is too slow has a feature where I can both view the contents of any image, including the ability to restore files selectively right from the windows explorer interface.

I can't seem to confirm whether the same feature is available with either B&R Home or the disk suite. I know that selective restore is possible but it doesn't state how it is done, so wanted to confirm.

Thanks for any replies and assistance.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I haven´t used these features, but according to both the Paragon website and the HDM manual, HDM can create "Sector and file level backups with differential or incremental updates".

Besides, images can be mounted and browsed, as in other common imaging programs.

3. Volare

Volare Registered Member

Some of the comparison's on the Paragon site can be confusing. The comparison that appears to be least confusing is the one that's available for Paragon B&R12 Home - click here

I've never used HDM, but I do use B&R 12 (therefore I might be wrong). According to this comparison, it appears that HDM 12 does do "incremental file backups", but not "incremental sector backups" (increments of disk images). I would interpret it as such that B&R 12 Home provides all "back-up and restore" features and less other "hard-disk management/maintenance" type features (ie, partitioning, migration, virtualisation, etc). HDM provides a little bit of everything - Jack of all trades, master of none. Nevertheless, HDM appears to be offer a strong set of features - just depends on your needs.

Cheers,

4. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

bluesmanuk,

1. It looks like "HDM 12 - Suite" does Not include "Cyclic Backup", Incremental - Sector Images", "Syntheic Backup" and "Scripting".

2. However, "HDM 12 - Professional" does include "Cyclic Backup", Incremental - Sector Images" and "Syntheic Backup" and supports "Scripting".

3. Therefore, if you want all the Backup features in "B&R 12 - Home", then you need to get "HDM 12 - Professional" and "HDM 12 - Professional" has the additional advanced partitioning features and additional Virtualiztion features.

... So, imho, the best 2 versions to choose between are "B&R 12 - Home" and "HDM 12 - Professional".

Checkout the below paragon pages.

HDM 12 - Professional
    http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/HDM12_Pro_Full_Features_List.pdf

HDM 12 - Suite
    http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/HDM12_Suite_Full_Features_List.pdf

HDM 12 Professional vs. Suite
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/comparison.html

Use this one, to checkout the "advanced - partitioning" features that B&R 12 - Home is missing.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/comparison.html

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My only advice is to carefully evaluate just what your partitioning needs really are before jumping onto the HDM Pro program. Virtually everything I do can be done with B&R combined with Windows Disk Management.

You, of course, may have different needs and priorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.