Conflict Between SpywareBlaster & AdwareSpy

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Smitty, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty

Smitty Registered Member

o_O I'm new to SpywareBlaster. When I run adware spy it tells me I have 398 objects to remove. When I remove them SWB tells me that 398 items are unchecked and not protected. When I check them and then run Adwarespy you guessed it, it tells me there are 398 items to remove. I just want to make sure the two programs are cancelling each other out! Explanation and advice appreciated!!!

2. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

Adware spy is on Spyware Warriors rouge anti-spyware list.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Smitty, welcome to forums. :)

In other words, what Clowny is correctly saying, AdwareSpy is a piece of garbage, it's a knock-off of some genuine program, poorly databased, coded, etc.

It gives what we call the "Wow Factor". You scan with it, gives a whole heap of false positives [meaning it postively identifies spyware, but they are false findings] so you go "Wow, look at all the crud this thing finds, where's my Credit Card, must buy this."

SpywareBlaster IS THE GENUINE ARTICLE! Trust it! :D

Cheers, TAS

4. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up, Tassie. :)

That's what I get for trying to post while getting ready for work! :rolleyes: :D

5. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Smitty:

As the others pointed out, AdwareSpy is on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware pages, and with good reason: inexcusable false positives. Hundreds of them even. That's what you've encountered. AdwareSpy is falsely flagging Registry keys related to SpywareBlaster's ActiveX control protections as "spyware." It removes the keys and values, and then SpywareBlaster correctly reports that those protections have been disabled.

This is one of the reasons the AdwareSpy is listed as "rogue/suspect" -- because using it will, in some circumstances, actually LOWER the amount of protection your system has against spyware and adware.

In fact, AdwareSpy is simply one of a number re-branded cloneware anti-spyware applications built from the same codebase, almost all of them with the same problem:

2004 Adware/Spyware Remover & Blocker
    ADS Adware Remover
    AdwareSpy
    AdWare SpyWare Blocker & Removal
    AdwareX Eliminator
    Privacy Tools 2004
    SpyBeware
    The Web Shield

See here for comparative screenshots:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/family_resemblances.htm#3

Best,

Eric L. Howes

6. Smitty

Smitty Registered Member

Thanks everyone;

Boy do I feel stupid! Has anyone tried to go after these bums via FTC, better business bureau etc. Don't suppose anyone has any ideas on how to get my money back??

THANKS AGAIN!

7. GazC

GazC Registered Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been conned by the false advertising of Adwarespy too and they are refusing to give me my money back. Is there anything I can do or anyone I can report them to?

I'm going to be contacting my Credit card company in the morning to see if I can claim my money back that way, but some help would be appreciarted.

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi GazC. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Sorry to here of your delimma but i guess all we can do is get the word out on these crapware vendors and hope people will investigate first before purchasing something that could very well be a ripoff. I check the rogue list regularly just to stay up to date on the latest crapware out there.

Good luck.

snowbound

9. GazC

GazC Registered Member

Thanks,

I really had a gun to my head when I got it. I'd been trying in vain to purge my system of the coolweb parasite when I saw adwarespy advertising (lying) that it could remove coolweb. When I found out that it couldn't I was seriously annoyed.

I had to reformat in the end and fired off an e-mail to Adwarespy asking for my money back.

Here is their reply:

Now I'm no legal buff, but surely they cannot point blank refuse a refund like, that can they?

Oh and thanks for the welcome :)

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Once that purchase has been made, we do not offer refunds. We feel this policy
    is consistent with the major software retailers nationwide.

Consistent with major software retailers nationwide? i don't think so.....

Of course there will be no refund. They know all to well what they are selling and how when people find out, they will surely demand their money back.

What a joke. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what can be done.

snowbound

11. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Gaz and Smitty,
    You guys probably won't get your money back....but you may certainly get some value for your money by giving this company $30/$40/$50? worth of bad press. Tell everyone you know and then some not to use this product. Post on various forums about your experience....and you can also let the company know that you will be doing this. It would certainly make me feel a lot better!
    Buck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.