Configuration Tips for 3.0.657? Extreme instability

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by barryj, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barryj

barryj Registered Member

Hi, brand new NOD32 user here - and I'm wondering if I made an enourmous mistake here. I just purchased liscences for our network and server last week, and have been using my own workstation as a test bed - we're replacing McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise. I completely cleaned all traces of McAfee from my system before I began - but I'm seriously considering putting it back on.

We've got a pretty 'plain vanilla' network here - single Windows Server 2003 server, and workstations all running XP Pro SP2. Since installing NOD32 on my own PC, I've had more random lockups and freezes in the past 4 days than I've had in the past 4 years combined. I've tried various configuration tweaks with no success or change in behavior - I've made sure that it ignores all network drives, and doesn't scan all files. I've never been able to successfully run a system scan - gave up after the first day. It seems to be particularly prone to freezing shortly after receiving a new signature update.

So any tips on configuring this product for stability? Or possibly reverting back to an older, more stable version? The links I was given upon purchase showed the 2.7 version, but I wan't sure if it was compatible with the Remote Administrator console and server (which I'd like to use once I can get a stable installation). I'm afraid to roll this product out to any other workstation until I resolve these issues

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If the trial version that Eset offers is still at version .650, I would suggest a total removal of .657 on this test bed workstation and then install the .650 build. The "random lockups and freezes" in the past 4 days might be attributed to what some users are seeing with this .657 build.

Bubba

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When did you install EAV? If it was before last week, have you restarted the computer after update 3121?

4. barryj

barryj Registered Member

Hi, I installed it a week ago today (5/21 - late in the day) - it appears that the first update to the database was for version 3118 (currently on 3139)

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Has the computer been restarted after the update 3121 ?

6. barryj

barryj Registered Member

Unfortunately, yes - many, many times. (average 4-5 times a day since NOD32 installation)

7. barryj

barryj Registered Member

More obervations on the timing for system lockups/freezes:

First observation - my test workstation is shut down each evening. Each of the past 3 days, the machine has frozen the first time it was booted in the morning (desktop would appear, but would freeze while loading 'tray' programs) Subsequent restarts are OK.

Second observation - It seems a very common time for the system to freeze is when closing Office documents (mainly Excel sheets)

I can find no links to the .650 version anywhere on the ESET site - the only links on the Business Edition page for prior releases are for 2.7. Is this my only choice for a 'downgrade"?

8. barryj

barryj Registered Member

And another freeze right after a signature update (3145) - it appears when this happens, the update is successful but the machine stops responding immediately afterwards.

A little clarification on the term 'freeze' - you can still move the mouse cursor, but the machine does not respond to either mouse or keyboard commands. The only solution is a 'hard' reboot (power button)

Also, there is no other AV or anti-spyware software running on this machine.

Suggestions? My alternatives seem to be a) uninstall and get a fresh download of 3.0.657, and pray for the best, or b) try 2.7 instead

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, I would suggest that you download a fresh copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.657 from ESET's website and SAVE the installer, then uninstall and reinstall using “TYPICAL” settings.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.