Concerning Regedit Microsoft

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Luna, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luna

Luna Guest

I have a question to submit:

Datas deleted in Regedit are really deleted o_O

Thanks

2. snowman

snowman Guest

LUNA

welcome to the forum......

an answer to your question is both yes and know....if you copied the information prior to the deletion in can be re-entered in many cases if you know where to properly put it....Or if you made a back up...which is always best when messing with the registry.
    by using a tool such as..say regcleaner a back up will be made automatically.....perhaps a better way of going.
    if none of the above was done....no copy ..no back=up...no knowledge of where to properly make a correction in the registry.......an no one to advised you where and what and how........thats a big OOPS!! I did this once...an had to re-format or do without the windows program......
    perhaps if you list here your os and what was deleted someone may be able to offer help. An certainly wait for others to comment.......an just perhaps better advise you.

snowman

3. snowman

snowman Guest

typo correction

should read: "the answer to your question is both yes and NO''

sorry....

snowman

4. snowman

snowman Guest

Luna

I am getting ready to shut down....before doing so just want to suggest that you wait for others to comment....I by far am not all that computer experiened.....( a computer dummy to be more to the point)......so do wait for other replies.......an hey...hope this works out for you.

snowman

5. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hi Luna,

If you have windows 98, i know u can u might be able to recover from ur deleted regedit. Windows usually makes backup copies of the registry, so if u go to ms-dos..... type in "scanreg /restore" it might be able to restore previous entries of the last few times u or windows made backup copies to the registry. Maybe that will work and u can restore a previous copy..... if not u can try to type "scanreg /fix", i don't think thats will get back all ur deleted keys... If you have a newer OS than that I think ummm ME has restore setting..... where u can restore ur computer to a certain date.... i don't know much about just heard about it...hopes that works luna! ;)

YODA

6. Luna

Luna Guest

Thanks snowman and Yod,

The questions is simple: If I delete a key or a string value in the Registry Microsoft, is it really deleted id i don't made a back up.

Second question; Is it possible to avoid that W98SE made a daily backup registry o_O?

Thanks for your help

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

With respect to your second question:
    yes, it is possible:
    See the comment of Theodore Fattaleh, the creator of the back-up software ERS here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2019

8. snowy

snowy Guest

LUNA

simple questions do not always have simple answers that fit every user and every situation..........an "honest" answer is somewhat more difficult to express not knowing the users experience...os...etc...
    some people may quickly say...yes,,its gone forever....some people may say that without a back up it can not be replaced....both answers would be correct in certain circumstances.....an wrong in certain circumstances.

I'll try to present an explanation:

ok..I decide to modify the following;
    0011 00f2 0200 co da 00 00

to

0022 00a3 0300 do 00 00 ( all faked numbers)

ok,,say I made a mistake entering the second string.....an it does not work.......obviously it will have to be changed back to the first number.........if no backup was made...an the first number is now totally unknown.....it could possibly be considered as "gone"......or just perhaps you know someone with the same os or program who is willing to look into their registry..an give you the correct numbers......an you then could replace the numbers..an everything works fine again......

or

lets say you just wrote the first numbers on a piece of paper.....but did not make any actual backup......you could simply refer to the numbers of the paper..re-enter them...an everything works fine........
    so..if as you say..no back up was made.......does your os have a means of restoring the lost registry settings.....here I would have to honestly say that I can't answer.....an someone more knowledgable in this area will have to answer...perhaps a person using your type of os....
    what I am expressing is that its not always a completely hopeless cause......if a newbes with very little experience...an no one to help..runs into such a situation there is a fair chance that the newbes will have no other option but to reformat
    now...lets say...refering again to the first number.....that the first number was deleted....lets say it was a complete accident......that it just happened somehow for whatever reason.......
    if a person knows where the deleted string was in the registry....how to locate that previous "place" then it could possibly be replaced..........if the person has no idea where the string was....or even what it belonged to....here all I can say is that I would not want to be the one trying to locate it......there are a bunch of numbers in that there registry.....LOL.....keep in mind that a person still has to know the proper string id.....an know how to properly enter it.........if it was 0002 00 it could not be entered 000200
    I seriously doubt if any of this will actually answer your question...........in essence my guess is that you are wanting to know if there is a way Windows can automatically re-enter the deleted string........here I will bow to the more knowledgable to answer.....I am just a rather feeble minded computer dummy trying to make it through the day...

best of luck LUNA

snowman

personally I suggest that only very experience users attempt changes to the registry.......many a good computers have gone the way of the dump because of improper registry changes..an no means of reformating

9. snowy

snowy Guest

good golly miss mollie...surely I didn't just post all that...it much be my illness...the fever burning my whats left of a brian......the snowman does not know that kind of stuff.

snowman melting

10. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Hi snowman! I have a nice big freezer right here. Don't you melt, okay? Think cool thoughts. I'd say you were feeling inspired. I'm no expert on the Registry either. I like to let sleeping dogs alone. I know some people who are experts on Windows. If they can't help you, no one can.

http://www.aumha.org/

It's called the Windows Support Center. Should help you out. Go to the Forum there, to ask your question. :)

11. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hey prince.......

even that site can help me out, I got a IE 6.0 brower prob...... heh i'm gona go check it out, keep up the good work prince ;)

P.S. Take it easy prince... stop working so hard, lol :D

YODA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.