Concerning AOL

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x-man

x-man Guest

I used AOL at one time and i found their intrusive software to be a resource hog! Their so called dialup accelerator didn't speed up my connection one bit. I would not return to AOL also because of their very high rates for basic dialup. You can get the same, or nearly the same, service from other ISPs for less than half the price. AOL is just overbloated junk.

As for Nod32_9's comment about resuming a download after a broken connection, all i can say is i have tried reconnecting after a disconnect with my download manager and it just won't work, unless the site supports that feature and very few do. So that's not really an option most of the time.

And how do you download a 250mb Windows update at the library? Where do you put the updates? On cd's? They won't even let me use the cd drive at my library and you are only allowed a certain amount of time on the computer, which is not nearly enough for a 250mb download. Unless maybe you have cable internet connections at your library?

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I just hate AOL to the core, no need to ask why i hate them, try their AOL Instant Messenger program and you'll know.

It contains spyware.

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Hi nadirah,

I was just wondering about what you wrote here.

Can you give more details about the spyware you say is in AOL's IM program. I think I heard somewhere that the 'net version... AIM... may have some issues but I don't know of any problems with the built in IM program that would be used by AOL members online to contact each other directly.

I don't use it myself but my son is a very active IM'er, but he only uses the member to member in house program where he simply contacts his buddys when they pop online.

To me this seems like a very good system and I have never seen any problems with it, but if you know of spyware in this, then please tell.

zar :)

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Download Express works well with most legitimate sites...NERO, TUCOWS, NONAGS, MAJOR GEEKS, etc....

We have broadband at our local library. This, of course, would not be a viable option if your local library is still connected to the net via 56K modems. You can still pull in 100MB of data with the 5 hour limit. Discounting games, video, and audio materials, there are very few applications that would exceed the 100MB limit.

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Nadirah
    I have never tried their messenger program--have it uninstalled like the players.have a great day
    Rita

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Registered Member

Ive used aol for a few years and really like it.

Just recently ive moved over to aol broadband and now have no aol software on my comp at all, you only need it for dial up or the parental controls if you need them.

One thing I did hate about the aol software though was realplayer, it was a real pain until i disabled the startcentre and blocked it access with me firewall, glad those days are long gone!! :D

7. Untouchable J

Untouchable J Registered Member

AOL dosent come bundled with any spy/adware, but AIM does comes bundled with WildTangent (needed for AIM games to work properly) and Weather Bug. When installing AIM, it would give you the option to install or not install these programs...so its your choice. I've installed the latest AIM version while choosing not to install WildTangent and WeatherBug and it worked.

-J

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I've investigated and tried out all versions of AOL's IM program, and i've found a piece of spyware called: WildTangent
    And i've confirmed that AIM is the culprit behind this wildtangent spyware.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Check out this link for more information: http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/wildtangent/index.phtml

9. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

mass spyware in aol what you all smokeing

10. steverio

steverio Registered Member

LOL....AIM gone...Oops, I shot the messenger! :-* goodbye...

11. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:cool: eh i still use it no bigy

nothing i cant handle

12. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Thanks nadirah,

This confirms what else has now been said here... it's just AIM for 'net users rather than the built in program that is part of the AOL member package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.