Computers are getting more expensive, and here’s why

Discussion in 'hardware' started by hawki, Jul 13, 2017.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Let me guess. Another chip manufacturing plant "mysteriously" burned down in Taiwan.:rolleyes:

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They teach everyone the "law of supply and demand" and then claim a shortage of everything. That's fine, I don't need a new one.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I saw it. Very bad trend, but I must say that some desktops and laptops are still reasonably priced. But overall, prices really need to drop. I'm not willing to pay over 1000 bucks for high end machines.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This isn't an issue for me, as I only buy used computers. For my usage, I see no point in buying a new computer and buy all my computers from eBay.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I buy my computers for cash at swap meets :)

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Count me in on that too, only Amazon is been the supplier. Used sometimes equals better than new with a little time & effort.

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have always bought computers new and directly from the manufacturer's website. I check reviews before I buy but I am very skeptical of them. I got a beautiful W7 laptop at a 50% off sale several years ago. It was new but had been introduced 2 years previous (that explains the sale).

I am not sure what to do now that Microsoft's WaaS is underway, especially if a new W10 build may or may not obsolete a system. I originally thought that this would only impact upgraded systems, but it applies to a new W10 system as well. OEMs have reduced their EOL support cycle on hardware from 24 months to 18 months as well. Component manufacturers are not providing drivers for all their GPUs (some that have only been 2 years or so on the market, e.g. the CloverTrail chips).

I spend extra to get a well built, decently configured system, but if Windows systems are expected to last no more than 3-4 years before becoming obsolete, I am not going to spend big bucks on them anymore. If the supply chain is going to increase costs even more, that is not good. I am looking at what you guys are sharing here in this thread. I see there are alternatives that I have not considered before.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Gamers use fast machines, and they tend to replace them often. Old gaming i7s make sweet VirtualBox hosts. Plus, there's no money trail :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.