Computer won't power up at all?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BlackScarletLove, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackScarletLove

BlackScarletLove Registered Member

I'm pretty sure my cat screwed up my computer. I was in bed last night and the computer all of a sudden began making some really peculiar noises, and I woke up and turned on the light and the cat darted out from under the desk where my tower is and now it won't even turn on. Like, I press the power button and nothing whatsoever happens,as if it's not even connected to a power source. I checked all the connections inside and everything is connected just like it was before, but still no response to a power up.
    I've never had a computer actually refuse to even power up before, at the very least it turns on but doesn't do anything -- this time it's totally dead. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Windows XP SP3

AMD Radeon HD 6850 - 1024MB

MotherBoard:
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE Rev 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0401 07/19/2007
    Realtek Onboard Audio

3328 Megabytes DDR2 RAM

Processor:
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

If the BIOS date reflects the year of the PC purchase, it could be either the Power Supply or the Motherboard that went out.

3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ BlackScarletLove, I had some time ago similar signs. Hard drive dead indeed...
    I needed to buy a new drive, and like I had done recently a hard drive backup with Redo Backup, I restored the backup into bought hard drive.
    I hope you have a drive backup to restore. Good luck.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I had a similar situation here with a 4 year old desktop. Turned out the motherboard was fried somehow. End of PC, end of story.... :)

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Was the side-covers on the tower?

A failed hard drive wouldn't of have prevented the computer from powering up.

'Most' cases I've seen like this was from the PSU (Power supply unit) having failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.