Computer switches itself off - any ideas please?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ljblee, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljblee

ljblee Registered Member

Hi

I have NOD32 installed (auto updates). When I switch on the computer it boots up as normal but then after it has completed the start-up it simply switches itself off. I can boot up in safe mode and this doesn't happen - ie it doesn't switch itself off.

I don't know if this is a virus or not - a recent NOD32 full scan showed all clear.

Does this sound like a virus or something else? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. 2AD

2AD Registered Member

I dont think its NOD32. My work computer does this to me all the time. Without warning about 3 times a day. It could happen now! I dont have NOD32 on it either. Mines a Packard Bell with an AMD processor. What are your system specs?

I know after a reformat and a check at the events log there is nothing on mine to see what is going on. My next move is messing about with the connections and such to make sure their all secure. Maybe replace the memory or atleast remove and reinstall.

Your system specs may help everyone out though.

3. ljblee

ljblee Registered Member

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

I don't think that NOD is the problem. I do wonder if it is a virus. I remember a virus a couple of years ago which used to cause the computer to shut down.

My first thought had been the hardware but then if it was that I would have expected it do the same in Safe Mode.

It switches itself off almost immediately that it has completed booting up as though something in start-up is causing it. I had a look at the programs in start-up and couldn't see anything suspicious

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Do you mean that the computer turns itself *off*, as in, it turns off the power? Not just a reboot, but totally off?

5. divedog

divedog Registered Member

is there an alarm before it shuts off ?

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sounds like the old Blaster Worm.

7. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Mine does it the odd time also. I read the reason for it was to prevent serious damage to your computer if it kept running. :)
    It would freeze more often, it is squeaky clean inside. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.