Computer protection mode in the network, very basic question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Alloneword, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alloneword

Alloneword Registered Member

OK every since i have used ESET I have always set it to "Strict Protection" main reason being i never share anything on my PC, even with other laptops on the network, they just share internet via wireless router.

However I am now moving into having to share some folders/drives etc as I want to buy WDTVLive, AppleTV2 or maybe AppleTV3 (depending on specs) my question is when i buy a media player should i set this setting to "Allow Sharing"? I presume this will only be visable to others on my network (ie; the media player) as it stands right now when i look at my network all i see is the name of my PC, Any helpfull tips to allow the media play to see my PC and the folders/drives I intend to share is welcome, but be carefull I know very little about networks and sharing of drives/folders.

All1

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Yes, switching your protection mode to "Allow Sharing" will allow your home network (and ONLY your home network) to see the other computers and devices. You can use the following KB Article to make this change and allow your media device to connect as well:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2887&ref=wsf

3. Alloneword

Alloneword Registered Member

OK thanks for the reply dwomack hopefully that will sort that, now i just have to work out how to share drives and folders on PC but i know this is not the place to ask that kind of question, once again thx for the reply. :thumb:

All1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.