Computer poll

Discussion in 'polls' started by museheart, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. museheart

museheart Registered Member

Okay, I am not sure I am doing this right...

Pick one or tell me your choice and why, pretty please with sugar on top.

(Oh no...did I put this in the wrong place? How do I move it?)

2. Gateway, I just bought one! They give you the original System Cd's and application drivers, so you can have the computer without all that garbage other companies "are so nice to include"...

I bought it at a Country Store..

Shipped to my house..

Heavy, Desktop Replacement Laptop..

Knowledgeable Tech Support, no long hold times!!!!!\

Accident Warranty, too! (Option)

15.7 inch screen!

:D

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Very commercial thinking: I built my own. No need for fancy grafx or multimedia, so I picked a very stable shuttle mobo, fast amd, silent Artic cooler, silent Maxtor fluid drive hardisk, lots of ram and go :cool:

But if I should pick any other commercial computer: I love those IBM mainframes. They do run linux...

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Build my own. (at home)

Prefer the ability to tweak/reduce the machine to what I want, without the pain of "proprietary software". Also have the ability to "load-up" on the hardware *I* think is important.

Don't really have a great need for tech support--just warranty on the hardware itself is fine for me.
    :cool:

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Yep I build all my own, always have right from the first (a P75 with 16meg ram!!)

6. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Built my own too! Basically for the same reasons JimIT cited, like the idea of tweaking it to my needs. ;)

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

As this is for commercial use this poll I must say that my Dell Latitude X200 is very cool. It came with my job. Its dimensions are height 0.8" width 10.7" depth 8.9" and very lite to travel with (Im on the road with my work a fair bit) wieght 2.8lbs with battery Its one really nice toy lol. I would recommend it to anyone . I get a new one next year lol But for home use i use an older Dell and thats sweet too.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have a H/P pavillion.I wouldn't vote for H/P though!

A lot of my friends have Dells.
    I haven't heard anything negative yet.

When it's time to buy a new pc,I'm going to Dell first!

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Even with the strange power supply fan failure; I'm still 100% behind my custom job. I got it without any advertising garbage pre-installed and got to select every single part myself. I went heavy on it and built a really nice custom machine; but even if I was only going to buy a mid range machine I still would by far prefer a custom. Next time I think I will attempt to build it on my own; really can't be too tough if I do my homework first.

10. Tinribs

It very rewarding building your own Detox, when/if you decide to do it and you need any help then give me a shout and I'd be delighted to help. :)

Kev

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hey I really appreciate that! admittedly; it should be some time from now as I think my computer shouldn't be too "out of date" for some time. I know the stuff is advancing quickly but still... I'm pretty good now.

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Roll my own as well - Started with a 286 wtih 1MB of RAM & no hard disks just two 5 1/4 floppies & a hercules driven orange coloured text/graphics moinitor running under DOS 3 - Could run Word Perfect or Lotus from one floppy & save your work to the other. Oh output was to a Dot matrix printer - much posher than the popular daisy wheels because it could go graphics! :p

13. Tinribs

Blimey Pilli, you're giving you're age away now :D

Its funny, a friend of mine who is in his 40's always tells me that things haven't been the same since DOS ! :blink:

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yep, Old ! Wish I was a hunded years Younger!
    Now Where wAS dos EDIT? oR WAS IT ddOS, NO ibm dOS oH SHAT i GET SO CON FUSD! Linux for beginners here I come...
    Wht year is this?

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Don't worry about him he's hissed :rolleyes:

16. ggratto

ggratto Registered Member

Dell, for a enterprise enviorment they have stable systems, and good support.

17. museheart

I have always heart that Gateways were not compatible with a lot of things like a regular PC. Is this true?

How about security?

18. museheart

Well...I can't build my own and an IBM mainframe is a little out of my league. :rolleyes:

But I'm glad for you!

Peace,

19. museheart

Maybe I phrased this wrong. Commercial as in something you can go out and buy...but I should have mentioned to use as a personal computer.

Sorry. :'(

20. museheart

I have an HP also and I will never buy another one! They also have the
    worst support I have ever had. :mad:

21. museheart

I must say, I have a friend who has owned two computers both custom builted.

Both of them cost less, had local support, and out did both of my store bought computers!

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It doesn't look like many people on this forum like hp computers. I use them at home and at work and have had very good luck with them. The only one I had give me any problems was replaced and upgraded to make up for my trouble. It only took two toll free calls to get this taken care of. They shipped it overnight fedx. I guess any piece of man made equipement can go bad but the majority sems to work fairly well. Have a good evening :)

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Ireally have to appoligize again for my typing I am right handed and have a cast on it bit I am trying. Thank you

24. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

I have a HP (Heaps of Problems) and it does. I have had nothing but problems with it. In the first month the motherboard got a crack in it and they replaced it and wiped our Hard Drive. Then i have had nothing but problems with the modem. Their tec support is crap, to solve any problem i simpily ring freinds for help even though it is still under warrenty. I would vote aganist HP (Heaps of Problems) if i could. The company started out bad, their name was decided on a coin toss and by the looks of things so has the rest of the buisness. My next computer will be a custom job so i know i will be getting quility instead of a paper weight.

25. Buster

Buster Registered Member

Build my own. That way I get exactly what I am after at a great price...and the tech support is free :) :D :D

;)

Buster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.