Computer does not boot from CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gm10, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gm10

gm10 Registered Member

I prepared a bootable CD. It has 7 files on it: bootmenue, bootwiz, f11, kernel, mouse, ramdisk and splash. Award Bios shows the following boot sequence: CD, hard, floppy. For some reasons during boot computer does not notice presence of the CD in the drive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

gm

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello gm,

I assume those 7 files are contained in a folder called Recovery Manager? If that's the case then the CD should boot o.k.

Have you tried booting from some other bootable CD (e.g. the Windows installation CD)? If you are using a laptop be aware that, despite the BIOS boot order, some brands/models require that you press a particular key combination to force a boot from CD.

Regards

3. gm10

gm10 Registered Member

A very good question. It does not boot even from Windows CD. I will have to take it back to the shop. They just recovered my computer recently after I was fooling with Registry. :( Probably changed some settings.
    Thanks for the help.

gm

4. gm10

gm10 Registered Member

The correct title would be "Computer does not boot from Sony DVD RW". I just recently installed it. Everything looked OK and I removed old CD drive. Luckily, I discovered "surprise" now, not after the computer crashed. One more reason not to touch anything from Sony.

gm

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  5. Drumboy444

Drumboy444 Registered Member

I have the same problem with acronis true image. It won't boot from the Cd. When I try to access it from within DOS, I see something called "Joliet FS" It looks like a directory name but it is not a directory. the stats say there is one file present and no directories. I can't get to any files. whatever this Joliet thing is I can't get into it. I can't run it, execute it, start it whatever. The CD works fine in my Laptop, but won't on anything else. When I create a boot cd from any of my other computers it won't boot, only on my Dell laptop will it work correctly. Shouldn't one cd work on other computers too? Even still a boot disk created on my other computer won't work on thier either. I have seen this Joliet thing before. It appears to have something to do with Cd Images. ISO, or Joliet are two different options to burn CD's in nero. Is this the same thing, and if so how can I get my cd drives to autoload the files on this cd?

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If any disk created in one computer doesn't work in another you may have a hardware problem.

Joliet is a file system used on CDs. ISO9660 is another one however in its pure form only supports things like the 8.3 filename convention. Joliet supports long filenames and other file system stuff.

7. Drumboy444

Drumboy444 Registered Member

Is it possible that older CD roms do not read the Joliet file specifications? when I pop the CD into Windows it reads the recovery manager folder and all of the necessary files within it. Dos however is only displaying "Joliet FS" and won't boot. My Laptop which I bought last year however boots right from this CD, however this CD placed in any other computer will not boot. Is there a way of rewriting these files to the CD but not in the Joliet file system but as for insance ISO instead, or something that DOS can boot from? I really would like to create images of these computers but will never be able to retrieve the images if I don't have a working boot cd. One of my computers being an older server dousn't have a cd rom installed so I need to boot from a USB cdrom, but any other computer regardless of an internal or external cdrom is not booting to the CD. Only my Laptop works.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't really know if the older CDROMS have a problem but something tells me that when I had my first burner a 2X HP that cost me a few hundred dollars it wanted ISO9660 to be bootable. If so, whether that was a burner or an OS (win9x) problem is another question.

Hopefully somebody who knows more about this will jump in with some good info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.