Computer Associates Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ibrad, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well...it seems like no one wants to talk about this AV.

How is this AV? I don't see it much on home machines but it seems like many companys still use this AV. How is CA AV's detection rates? Is it really that bad of an AV that no one wants to use it? From what I have read the 2010 version is lighter then previous versions.

I could not find many reviews of the latest version online o_O

2. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

I know that some ISP's (at least one, RoadRunner) offers the Internet Security Suite as a freebie to their subscribers. Other than that, I do not know much more about it.:rolleyes:

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

they are more geared toward corporate customers.

but they do have a home line.

as for being good well i havnt used them.

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I used CA Internet Security a few years back and it was OK, :doubt: . I had a lot of problems with their firewall which was actually a Zone alarm firewall at that time. THeir tech support was helpful, but in the end the firewall proved to be too much of a hassle so I dumped it. THe pest patrol AS portion worked well though.

5. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

To be blunt.... it's horrid, terrible detection rate and a huge resource hog.
    :)

6. falkor

falkor Registered Member

LOL . That IS blunt and to the point ! I agree 100%:thumb:

7. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

In short, if you see any one using CA IS 2010 ... Just point and laugh !!

simpsons_nelson_haha2[1].jpg

8. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've worked on a couple of computers with CA installed. It slowed them down badly and I had to turn off the firewall because it kept interfering with internet access. Even if it were freeware I would not recommend it.

10. BenMar522

BenMar522 Registered Member

About 5 years ago I thought I would give CA a try, as it was free through my ISP. I learned very quickly that it was a drag on my system and the firewall was very cumbersome. It sounds like it hasn't improved much since then.

BenMar

11. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Probably because hardly anyone uses it nowadays. I got a complimentary copy of their corporate AV, Ver.7, ~7 or 8 years ago. All you had to do at the time was sign up and let them spam you. This is, by the way, a version that doesn't expire. I could still use it if necessary. Back then the detection was considered to be pretty good. It has two engines, Vet and eTrust, both of which used to consistently do well on the Virus Bulletin tests. The GUI of this thing makes Dr.Web's look as flashy as one of the rogues :D

At present, the best description of CA's AV is that it sucks.

12. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I was finally able to find a review of the latest suite and though it has improved it does not like its the best AV currently: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354379,00.asp

The odd thing according to the review is that it does not give an alert when it blocks malware, that's the only software I have ever head that does that :rolleyes:

13. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

A few years ago CA AV powered the virus engine of ZoneAlarm AV and ZASS but its detection rate was so poor [and still it is] tha ZA dumped it for Kaspersky and hasn't looked back ever since.

Regards,

Carlos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.