Compression could equal corruption--if you move the .tib

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MageJubi, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MageJubi

MageJubi Guest

Something I noticed about moving .tib files. If you make an image.tib using standard compression, then move it from it's original location, it tends to get corrupted. (Obviously, not having to moving it at all is best). It seems however, if you make an image with no compression and move it, it remains intact. I made two .tibs of my entire drive--one with standard compression, and one with none. I moved them around a bit, then did some archive checks. The compressed one was corrupted, and the non-compressed one was good to go. Note, that while this test is not conclusive in any way, I thought I'd mention it.

2. AlexSP

AlexSP Registered Member

I'm using the TI 8.0 build 937 ... and I noticed that after burn my images on CDs (I use the indirect method to burn CDs, so I create the images in the HD first) they get "Corrupted", the strange is that I used the eXpress CheckSum Calculator to check them, as posted on this forum, and it says that they are the same files. Initialy, I thought that it was a burn problem related with the file length (650MB files), so I divided it in chunks of 100MB, but I still get corrupted files. Even after compact them with a zip tool, that has a CRC check, and get no errors after restore the files. I've tryed to reduce the burn speed, and change the media, but no results.
    I'm using max compression, but the image works fine in the HD, the problem only happens when I create the CDs. Now, my question is: Are the backups that I put on CDs really corrupted? Well, I don't think so but if I need them, the answer that I need is: how do I recover/restore them?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

3. AlexSP

AlexSP Registered Member

Another question is: Where do I save my image backups? Since I can't save them on CDs ... by the way ... I don't have enough disk space to create a new partition, .../start rant ...and I'm not willing to put in risk my data using a tool that looks like not realible to make a backup/image (that is its main funcion) to reorganize my HD. The rant is mainly because the TI9 that I bought 3 days ago to make my backups + image, and it didn't work as well ... I had to use my old method (ZIP + burn), and TI8 to make the image, that it seems, still more reliable (not the TI8 part *sigh*). .../end rant...

Alex

4. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

one of the best places to create your images to, and to store them on, seems to be an external hard drive. it is easier to "check image" because the image is all in one place instead of spanned over several disks.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Moving .tib files should not corrupt them. If it does, you have a hardware problem.

Some computers do not handle large files, greater than 1-2GB, properly. The same is true with some USB 2 chipsets on motherboards or add-in cards and external drives.

6. AlexSP

AlexSP Registered Member

The funny thing is that only with TI files this happens ... and like I said I've verified them with a CRC tool and it says that they are the same that were in my HD. To check it I used the tool that the acronis support posted here, in this forum.

I don't really know because it says that my files are corrupted but it is not because they weren't the same as I had before create the CDs.

I burned lots of CDs with 650MB files on the last 3 days, and, again, only the image ones had corruption problems.

Alex

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MageJubi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would agree with jmk94903, since this problem is most likely related to the faulty hardware (memory stick, hard drive cable, hard drive controller, ect.).

To find out whether your image files are really get corrupted please do the following:

- Download the hash calculator and unpack the archive;

- Run the application;

- Browse for the file and click Start to calculate the checksums;

- Compare a certain checksum (e.g. MD5) with that of the original to make sure the files are identical.

If checksums are different then I would recommend you to test the computer in the nearest service center.

In case checksums are identical but embedded Check Archive tool (Check Image tool for Acronis True Image 8.0) still verifies the copied\moved file as corrupted, please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Verify the copied\moved image archive by means of the Check Archive tool when the program is running from Bootable Rescue CD and inform us about the results;

- Find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AlexSP,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Create new image archive splitting it to either 100MB or 650MB parts and saving it to any separate folder on your local hard drive;

- Verify the image to make sure that it is not corrupted;

- Burn all the volumes (parts\files) of the image archive to CDs using any third-party CD-writing software;

- Verify the image archive residing on CDs and see the result;

Please note that to verify the image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs you should insert the last created CD first (actually, CD that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions.

- Copy all the files from all discs back to the hard drive;

- Verify the image once more and see the result;

- In case this image archive verifies as corrupted, please check whether it is really got corrupt by comparing it's checksum with that of the original image archive (see instructions above);

If the checksums are different then the problem is most likely related to the third-party CD-writing software or CD-burning device you use.

In case checksums are identical, please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Verify all the image archives (actually three of them: original one, copied to CD, copied from CD back to the hard drive) when booted from Bootable Rescue CD and see the result;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.