Component Upgrade

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by AStevDMI, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AStevDMI

AStevDMI Registered Member

Hi,
    I have ESET NOD32 version 5. I got an unsolicited message that ESET wanted to install a component upgrade. I went through the process, which removed and then re-installed the program. Now it wants to restart.

Before I allowed the restart, I searched on the eset website to make sure the component upgrade was legitimate. The only mention of one I could find was from a couple of years ago regarding ESET v. 3, so I was suspicious about the current one that I received. I also read another thread that suggested that the component upgrade had to be initiated by the user. In this case, I just got a popup that asked me to install, I did not manually check for updates.

As a side note, I recently had another problem that was mentioned elsewhere on this forum - which was that plugging in a USB hard drive caused the entire computer to seize up. This happened at the same time that I was updating the software on my iPhone, and as a result, the phone was wiped clean and had to be restored from a backup. Thankfully, the backup was recent, but it took about 45 extra minutes for this process.

Anyway, the question is, is the component upgrade legit?

I am using Win XP SP3. Right now, before restarting, ESET says it is version 5.0.95.0

2. Ismail

Ismail Registered Member

Mine, per chance? :D

I'm guessing that if both of us got the same component upgrade request that it has to do with NOD32 itself, unless there's an ingenious virus going around disguising itself as the program.

3. AStevDMI

AStevDMI Registered Member

Well, I restarted the computer - actually I turned it off last night and then turned it back on this morning. ESET still shows that I am running version 5.0.95.0. When I open the program window, I clicked on Check available version of ESET NOD32, and it shows that 5.2.9.1 is available. When I click on "install" I get an error that says "virus signature database update failed". However, this doesn't make sense as the virus signature database is not what I am trying to update and I already have the latest version of the signature database.

Any suggestions?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Would it be possible to connect to your computer via TeamViewer to diagnose the problem and eventually fix it? I'd need to get a Wireshark log as well as check your update.ver file containing information about available program and module versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.