Compatibility issues

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by sandokan, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

Hi,

I have been pondering whether to purchase TDS or not. My protection is deviced in layers, and I have yet to get infected by a viri/trojan/worn/whathaveyou. However there are so many more embedded trojans lurking on the net, that I am considering adding a new layer of protection, and that would be TDS.

My question is this: Is there any known compatibility issues with any A/V package (I run KAV4), or port protector (I use PortbusterXP), or with any firewall (I am currently using ZAP, but I will soon ditch it and move to a rule-based one)?

Also, running TDS in real time is it going to deteriorate the performance of my system?

My system is XP Pro SP1 with 1GB of DDR RAM powered by a P4 @ 2.5Ghz.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi sandokan & welcome,
    No compatability problems with KAV versions 4 - 5, I run KAV and NOD32) on different PC's.
    I am not familiar with port protector.
    No known firewall problems as far as I am aware.
    You will get an upgrade to TDS4 for free
    If you want to protect against the new very nasty rootkits and many other types of attack, I would also suggest you add another layer in the form of Process Guard. www.diamondcs.com.au

Cheers. Pilli

3. sandokan

Thanks for your swift reply. However you didn't answer my question as to the possible performance hit expected from running TDS in real time.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Sorry, Missed that :) Was early morning in the UK and the first coffee had not clicked in!

Very little performance hit with Execution Protection Enabled (the resident component when TDS3 is iconised to the task bar) - A very slight delay as you open a program - Milliseconds.
    However, a full scan with TDS3 with all options selected does consume some time and is best done whilst you are doing something away from your PC. Most people use a right click on new or downloaded files and do a full scan weekly.

5. sandokan

OK. Fair enough. Milliseconds you said. It'd be better if it was nanoseconds, but I guess I can live with that. I'll check on the FAQ what sort of restrictions are applied to the shareware version of TDS until it's registered to see if I like it. Cheers.

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I used to run TDS-3 on a 333Mhz box without a problem. It took a while to perform on-demand scans of the entire local drive, so I ran them overnight. But the background protection was transparent - no degradation in performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.