Comparing ZAP to BlackIce to 8signs to Tiny and so on?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by php111, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. php111

php111 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Currently I have an older version of ZAP on my Windows XP system. I would like to compare from ZAP to 8signs to BlackIce to Tiny to Kerio and so on to help me pick another firewall. Out of those firewalls I listed, what are the differences? Are they easy, medium or hard to configure the options? What is an IDS? I would like to look for another firewall with some help from this forum. I got ZAP from my Uncle. This time I am getting a firewall on my own and I would like it to be freeware. Thank you everyone for any replies to help me with a firewall.

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

As far as I know, implicit A vs B threads are against policy. So you might want to look for individual firewall software post in Wilders. Else see some firewall shootout done by popular magazines like PC-World, PCMag.

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

A vs B is allowed for firewalls - not for AV's :)

4. fax

fax Registered Member

ooh, interesting exception to the rule... LoL

Fax

5. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks for the info, seriously didn't know that :eek:

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Tiny is now CA. From memory it was quite configurable and powerful. Dont know how the beta is going.

Blackice is no longer being sold after IBM bought ISS and began to phase the SMB products out.

Kerio is now Sunbelt and I think they have just recently released an update.

8 signs is the only one that is till on sale however from memory it is more of a server product than a consumer desktop orientated firewall.

7. php111

php111 Registered Member

OK, so neither of those firewalls are for desktop? I don't know any other firewalls for desktop.

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Only 8 signs is designed for the server however it will work for the desktop. All others work for the desktop but havent been updated for a while. For a free updated firewall you can try the new Zonealarm. LnS is $30 but is (havent used it myself so taking the word of other wilders members here) easy to use.

9. php111

php111 Registered Member

I am looking for another firewall besides ZAP. I am also looking for a freeware firewall but not shareware or payware or anything only freeware. I don't have anyway of buying a firewall. The ZAP like started in my original I got from my Uncle idiot. I don't bother with him anyway so he won't know I went with a different firewall. Is Kerio 100% free? I am not sure but I think the older versions are free, am I right? The newer Kerio is not freeware, only shareware with a 30 day trial? I am looking for no trial, it's free around the clock.

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

ZA has a free verion. Comodo Firewall is also free and includes a behavior blocker component. Webroot has a free firewall too which is based on Private Firewall and also has a behavior component. OnlineArmour also has a free version however it does not have all the features of the full version.

11. php111

php111 Registered Member

May I ask what firewall do you use?

12. php111

php111 Registered Member

Coming from my older thread which not yet is in the archieves. Almost there.

1.) I give the link but you can disregard the Vista part because I have XP now. 2.) On that link they said Kerio is free. I don't think they mean the Sunbelt Kerio.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185724

13. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I use the inbuilt Vista firewall. The built in XP firewall is fine too unless you want a behavior blocker then in that case go with Comodo or Webroot. Alternative you can go with many of the standalone behavior blockers.

14. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I still stand by ZAP.. means that's in the title and it comes with a behavior blocker. works fine and fast for me.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sunbelt Kerio 4.xx is a 30 day trial with full features, which then reverts to a free version with a few less features, but nevertheless good enough for most purposes. There is of course the older Kerio 2.1.5 available, which is free also, and more of a traditional rule based firewall.

There is Comodo of course, free also. There are various other free ones here and there, mostly from the past, but still useful. Sygate is free also. Search for prior Sygate threads and you should find download links. Actually, here is the link for you if you're interested:

http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215

I'd go with Sygate Free 5.6.3408...

If you're looking for something easy like ZA, Sunbelt Kerio might be it.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

@php111,
    Stem, one of the moderators here, has assembled a comprehensive, visual tutorial on your Windows XP Firewall that it's truly worthy of your review, before committing to any other firewall.

If you don't venture into the dark side of the force, the built-in Windows XP Firewall will do just fine. Do read other Wilders threads for programs (like AVs, anti-trojan, anti-malware, etc.) that would complement that firewall as well.

17. php111

php111 Registered Member

Thank you for the info. I got Sygate.

Are there any tutorials to configure the Sygate options or should I leave the options on default?

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not sure about tutorials, just Google for it and see what comes up. The only thing I'd recommend doing, especially if you have no router and are directly hooked up to the internet, is, in the Applications section, there are options for each app, make sure you uncheck the "Act as Server" box on all of them, it defaults to allowing inbound traffic, and most apps don't need this. It's best to uncheck this. Only something like p2p would need it anyway. Remember also that every time you add or allow a new app, you'll need to go into the config and manually change this "Act as server" setting.

It's a pretty good light and fast firewall, with very good logging, and some nice features. The free version also allows custom rules, although there is a limit on the number of them, I think it might be 20, not sure.

19. php111

php111 Registered Member

Kerodo,

I am not here to talk about P2P but I do use BitTorrents. Also I do have a router/modem combo. I have a Linksys WCG200. Would it also help to uncheck them what you said even though I do use Bit and have a router? I really don't configure the router. I just leave it go.

20. php111

php111 Registered Member

Originally Posted by php111
    Coming from my older thread which not yet is in the archieves. Almost there.

1.) I give the link but you can disregard the Vista part because I have XP now. 2.) On that link they said Kerio is free. I don't think they mean the Sunbelt Kerio.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185724

I'd go with Sygate Free 5.6.3408...

If you're looking for something easy like ZA, Sunbelt Kerio might be it.[/QUOTE]

On that link in that quote, I am so suprised the moderators/administrators let that thread ride without locking it. A few threads down under my mine. We are not allowed to ask what is the best firewall and I didn't know that was a rule. I am suprised they didn't lock it. That thread of mine is still open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.