Comodo V3.0 alpha is out

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

Wait a second! Are you saying that first you have to open the port in the Global Rules, then open the port in the application rule? I already have a router. Someone needs to learn the DRY principle.

As for Defence+, it does not block all leaks. Also, try the France Telecom program.

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yes. But it's very early to make any conclusions regarding leaktests or any tests with this alpha. We'll definitely see many improvements here, and so far I like the concept of this firewall. I'll try that France Telecom program, thanks... ;)

Cheers.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I install it two days ago, and find it completely new, with a better GUI, much better resources using, great new interesting features, but had a few problems with connections, so I have to uninstall it because I'm using my notebook for work and don't have much time for testing now...

But at least, very impressive!!! :D

4. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

This thread explains it: Network Rules vs Application Rules..

The Seer, it's not a bug, v2.4 behaves the same way. I don't see the point of network rules yet. But, that is the first layer of defence. Application rules work within network rules. So, a port must be opened in the network rules before setting it in the application rules. You have to repeat yourself. That is the security model.

I guess this was done for public wireless networks. It imitates the behaviour of you being behind a router inside your home.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

SpookyET,

Thanks, but I already know how to use CFP, since one year ago... ;)

Regards

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello SpookyET.:)

Yes, I remember reading about that a few months ago. Stateful inspection works on a network level, so it's like a complete little SPI router. Nevertheless, I like this alpha for now. We will see the final version before long.

Cheers.

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Yeah, it wont pass all of them yet, but according to Melih it will do.;)

"With simple additon of protected registry keys in the GUI, all registry tests could be passed. We have not included a default configuration which provides a maximum defense right now. But in the final release, without any doubt, all will be included.

As I mentioned before, the architecture is designed so that you can simply add registry keys for protection and they will be protected.

We haven't had time to add all the security.. we will in the final version"
    -from Melih.

8. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

For the people who complain i'm not against you but i have one word which may sway your thinking.

A-L-P-H-A! This is not even a beta and its been stable on every computer it's been tested on so far. Well according to forums knowone has complained about stability yet so that's impressive for an alpha. I noticed the alerts don't give you any information and if your a first firewall user you may get confused. But im sure this alpha was made just for a look at the firewall and to fix major bugs( even though we haven't found any yet).

I just hope they put in a configuation wizard at installation because when i ran my system after an install of cpf i got constant alerts for 10-15mins lol. Must be the defence+ feature. If there isn't a configation feature and these settings stay standard than many newbies will run as fast as they can away from cpf.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wow, this is a bit exciting, seems to be a very advanced HIPS, a serious new contender in the HIPS market, no doubt. But at the moment I´m not really happy about a couple of things, the GUI must become a bit better, and for some reason it doesn´t give a lot of info when registry keys are being modified. Of course I´m confident that this stuff will become better and I will keep my eye on this one. :)

10. Coolio10

I think comodo disabled a lot of features such as actual warning information until
    the beta comes out. Because even firewall alerts don't give you any information.

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Currently this release(Alpha) is crashing on my VM(on boot). The dumps are a little confusing,.. is anyone running this release on XPsp2 with an Athlon processor OK? (I will also try a different VM program when time permits)

12. Sogno

Sogno Registered Member

It doesn't get along with Virtualbox (crash -> dump), I installed it on my trash computer without any problems (Windows SP2/Athlon 3500+).

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am running it in a Vmware (version 6 build 45731) session, XP sp2 and I do have Athlon 64x2. it runs just fine in my machine. No problems at all concerning stability.

14. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

I initially installed this Comodo in FDISR snapshot, but have now tried it in VMware, the same version and on same CPU as sukarof, with bridged networking, and Comodo runs fine. Tried to put some transfer through it, created some rules, and it works... I have now noticed that XP's security center still doesn't recognize Comodo v3 Alpha (I have this service normally disabled).

Cheers.

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thank you "Sogno", "sukarof" and "The Seer" for the feedback.
    I did install onto VM~ the latest version of "Virtualbox", so this is possibly the problem.
    I will load up VMware to try. (I currently have no spare actual hardware to install on)

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm with the Vista 32 bit version of Comodo, and get a BSOD when I attempt to access the internet. This also happens with Eset Smart Security. Could it be my adapter starting at the same time as the firewall service? Hope someone has a suggestion.

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

This new version sounds interesting.
    Especially, Sukarof's screenshot showing "isolated application" as an option.

18. Coolio10

I ran it in a rollback rx snapshot just to test it out and it worked fine on my AMD Athlon XP. Windows XP SP2 installed.

19. Coolio10

Aigle i noticed the isolate option and it seems similar to geswall so maybe you could dump geswall and use cpf3 when it comes out.

20. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Seems very stable for an Alpha release. memory usage is low (12+3 MB), only CPU usage was very high during ports scan at ShieldsUp!
    That product may become one of the best security products for Windows.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be. So far GeSWall,s policy restrictions are much much stronger.
    If they implement such a feature it might take some time to mature but ofcourse they might more chances to take it to a mature level than GeSWall( more users, more bug reports, more resources etc).

It will be ultimately somthing like Tiny FireWall or CoreForce. Let,s wait and see.

22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

The Vista version still has a ways to go. Besides the BSOD, it prompts too much.

23. gagman

gagman Registered Member

Hello,

For those who have given a try to Comodo 3 alpha....

There is something I cannot afford in Comodo v2.x, it's the lack of log in the application rules.
    It's OK for network rules. There is a check box to create a log entry.
    But for application rules ?
    AFAIK, a entry is created when a rule blocks something.
    But if I want to create a log on a allowed rule application ? There is no way to do that.

What about Comodo v3 regarding this issue ?

Thanks for your reply.

24. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

This firewall is exactly what I like. Look @ this, 5 times better then zone alarm,
    beating aak 3.7 and all other useless anti-keylogger:

http://i13.tinypic.com/6ceatqg.png

2 Crashes while closing process list and once while blocking something of k-meleon.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW what type of checksum hash they are using? SHA1 or MD5 or still older one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.