Comodo Time Machine users, is really good or is buggy?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mantra, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

The test was done properly. If you want I can send you a sample and you test it yourself, ok?

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Buster,

First of all, I don't have a test-system, so it would be foolhardy on my part to do what you suggest.

Secondly, please don't take offense to my comment - I mean no disrespect. But when you said that you just rebooted your test-system in order to determine if that specific malware could circumvent an ISR-protected partition (thinking that a reboot should have cleansed the system), that was a mistake - ISR programs simply don't work that way!

This is not to suggest that an ISR-protected partition can't be bypassed by certain malware, it's just to suggest that the ISR-portion of your test appears flawed.

Aaron

4. Buster_BSA

I don´t remember the restoring procedure for each of the products because I did that long time ago. Before testing with the malwares I did a test to be sure that the restoring procedure was correct, and it was. After infecting the system, the restoring procedure could not remove the malware from system.

You can find other threads from different people that made the same test with similar malware samples and the results are the same.

Search the forum to find them.

5. Aaron Here

After spending about an hour searching all that I found was the very same test posted by different people! :doubt:

Aaron

6. Buster_BSA

It´s not the same test. Different people used the same samples and same version of products and everybody got the same result: almost all rollback software running under an admin account is unsecure. Period.

7. Aaron Here

If you say so... :doubt:

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Anything you say :rolleyes:

I've ran CTM for almost a year now with no issues. I've ran SD for years no issues. I've ran Deepfreeze with no issues. Test all you want,it's not like using in the real world period.

9. Buster_BSA

Tests were done with malware samples in the wild, not POCs, but if you prefer to have a fictitious peace of mind it´s up to you.

Anyway I give to you the same offer I gave to Aaron: I send you a malware sample and you test it yourself.

10. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I've been using CTM for over a year and have it installed now (version 2.6.138262.166).
    I like it and recommend it.

At first, CTM was buggy and I did lose data on two occasions, but one of those was totally my fault.

For at least the past six months, CTM has performed flawlessly for me.
    It has, along with Sandboxie, WinPatrol, Keyscrambler, and Malwarebytes become a permanent member of my install.

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Maybe you didn't understand what I already said:

It doesnt matter what YOUR TESTING shows.In the real world,it's highly unlikely to come across all these exploits. In all of my years using virtualization products and rollback software,I've had zero, "0" infections or problems.

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No I did not, but then they were not references on the same page. So you agree, why state something differently elsewhere on your website

13. Buster_BSA

It´s you who don´t understand: rollback software is not secure because it´s unable to stop certain malwares (not exploits). Just because you didn´t get a malware that bypassed CTM doesn´t mean that malware doesn´t exist. Maybe you didn´t experience an infection because you only download software from trusted repositories. Obviously with good and secure measures it´s pretty difficult to get a malware.

Resuming: you are talking about your experience and I´m talking about a fact.

To put it in simple words that anyone can understand: just because you never saw an elephant it doesn´t mean elephants don´t exist.

btw... do you want to hear my experience? In the real world a malware bypassed the DeepFreeze I had installed in my computer. If you google a bit you will find similar experiences.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  14. Buster_BSA

Because I don´t think they are related. My tool is limited, as any other software, of course, but when I say:

"A big advantage of Buster Sandbox Analyzer compared to other systems doing the same task is that BSA can be better, more accurate and report more or less information depending of the user, meanwhile other analyzers will be as good or as bad as their designers did it."

I mean that other tools are static, you can not improve the analysis by yourself. Meanwhile, BSA allows you to run other software that can help to improve the analysis.

I don´t see why that statement is over the top.

15. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi pegr

I am tending to agree with you, having used RB Rx for a number of years, having suffered a significant issue recently and now looking at the Returnil Multi-Snapshot beta...which does indeed look very promising as an alternative. :thumb:

16. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I'll speak fact with you.

If you rely on just CTM for security,you have a good chance of being in trouble. Fact:I've got Geswall,which is my primary defense.

Fact: I'll personally let you know when something defeats this setup.

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

@Buster_BSA

Since CTM (and the rest ISR software...)
    can be bypassed (according to your findings...),
    what do you propose/recommend (apart from Shadow Defender)? o_O

18. Buster_BSA

I recommend using Windows from a Limited User Account.

I recommend backup of system and important data using software like CloneZilla.

I recommend web surfing using software like Sandboxie.

I recommend downloading software from trusted repositories.

I recommend having a good antivirus installed and updated in a daily basis if possible.

Regards.

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Apart from these well-known practices, which have already been adopted by many members,
    is there a particular Virtualization/ISR software (apart from Shadow Defender...) that you Trust?
    -OR-
    Shadow Defender should be rejected, too? (like CTM and the rest ISR Apps...)

20. Buster_BSA

In the case I wanted to use an ISR software I only would trust SD.

21. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to rely strictly on any type of recovery as a defense. Of IRSs, performance wise, your system isn't even aware it exists. If something gets by your firewall, hips, anti-v and anti-spy, there is still no guarantee that should you select a previous state that you'll still be infected, so it could be a bonus. Anyway, imho the IRSs are there to conveniently recover from bugged hardware, software and system issues. I never really even give there anti-malware potential a thought. Besides, you can still use something else (standard imaging apps) and have a conventional image to restore to. I think it was beneficial (i.e. made some aware) you brought your point up, but seems a bit moot if the question was, "Comodo Time Machine users, is really good or is buggy?"

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Fair enough...;)

23. Buster_BSA

Is SD´s coder still MIA?

24. moontan

moontan Registered Member

unfortunately yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.