Comodo Time Machine, Rollback and Imaging

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by buckshee, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I have tried both Comodo Time Machine and Rollback Rx and though they both worked quite well one thing that bothered me is that while having these programs installed I was unable to take and restore disk images and so my old Macrium Reflect (or Acronis etc) image would soon be well out of date and if my harrdrive failed all would be lost

As an alternative option I only use Macrium Reflect and schedule a full image to my second harddrive (in to a designated folder) at suppertime every Saturday and every other day I have sheduled an incremental backup which only take a minute or two . So once a week I start a new image and follow it up with incremental backups. To prevent to many backups on my second drive I set Macrium to delete images over 15 days old so I have two sets.
    I can restore from any image taken in the last 2 weeks from either a bootable CD or from the boot menu.
    I do keep a Master image in a separate folder which wouldn't get erased.

I have a backup program that backs up important data (emails) spreadsheets etc) every hour to the second harddrive. After an image restore I restore the backups at I am back to where I was (within an hour anyway)

Imaging doesn't stop me working and I find TCM or Rollback I have to tell it to take a snapshot when I install a program anyway !!. If I really need to restore it will take longer than Rollback but in reality how often is it really necessary.

Just a suggestion

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

It's almost similar to what I do, I also used comodo time machine but it's only main feature is if you need to test programs that require a reboot. With comodo you loose more than you gain.

I went back to my imaging backup method.
    1. weekly backup
    2. have multiple hard drives to store data
    3. use returnil to test some programs that don't need reboot.

If I have a hard drive failure, I will be at most one week behind, which is acceptable for me. In 2 years I've only had to restore my c: drive twice, once for a virus problem and another time for a bad driver issue.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I used CTM for a while, but came to a similar conclusion, i.e. that for my purposes it's really more useful to backup/image the hard disk to an external USB drive. I do this manually and the rest of the time the external is powered off, so it should be pretty reliable. I like the idea of CTM and would consider using it again if it can be made to work transparently with imaging software and defraggers. At the moment it's not clear enough how or if these programs can all play together. It also seemed that over time it was taking the system longer to boot with CTM installed, even though I regularly defragged the snapshots.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I just do a sector by sector back up using acronis trueimage and it backs up my entire system including rollback rx. It does take a little more time and back up sizes are larger but it works well and will save me a lot of time should my hard drive crash out.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you say approximately how much longer the sector by sector backup takes? Do you backup to an external hard drive?

6. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I'm using CIS on my laptop,so i have nothing against COMODO.But CTM crashed both my OS,Vista Premium and Win 7 on my laptops.And it done that when i unistalled it.Crashed,i mean that after i uninstalled CTM using its own uninstaller,after reboot my laptops failed to boot.Vista after several BSOD's,and Win 7 was trying to check disks errors for hours.Thanks to Paragon Drive Backup disk rescue,i manage to restore my system.One thing is certain.....i will never touch the mouse to click and install Comodo Time Machine.
    Now i use Rollback...but i'm still wondering...do i really need this??(yeah,i know,the answer only me can know it :rolleyes: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.