COMODO Time Machine BETA Released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Rollback RX comes up just before Windows boots up. If Windows stops working, you can revert to its last good state.

2. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Same as CTM.
    IMO - CTM is just a clone. I'm not complaining though - Awesome bit of tech that's free.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well, well I am glad Comodo is to offer such a tool for free, but gold at everything they touch is a bit overrated when thinking of their Anti Virus

4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

not correct :)
    comodo anti virus it the newest of all anti virus out there and now...

u can check and see in some test been done for comodo av it got above 90% of detecting rate and cleaning !!
    so if u consider it as a free avs (yes its free) it set him self in position no1 among the free anti virus out there , also he been past some paid one :)

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Avira? Avast? AVG? Last time I checked these all were posting much better detection rates than Comodo in the "Free AV" category.

6. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Comodo is not there yet with their antivirus software. It is improving by the day but the other vendors' products are just so much more mature than Comodo's; that is, a lot of work has been put to refine them.

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

So the final release is due by the end of the year?

Great work to Comodo, not seeing any major issues with this beta.

8. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I'd have to disagree that CTM is just a RollbackRX clone.It's using that technology as a starting point otherwise Comodo would have just stuck a new GUI on the latest stable release.IMO by the time this product matures it'll go well beyond it's roots.

9. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

this phase can beover killed easily in 2 ways

1)avira+avg are castrated , check what free version offerfor example to spy's detection etc...

2) comodo offer CIS, which include firewall, hips, anti virus, not just a stand alone anti virus like avg+avire+avast offer

what ever test u check was regard to the FULL version :)

cheers ;)

10. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Well you did say it was no.1 in the free antivirus out there, you can't now throw in HIPS and firewalls as well! Plus, I'm pretty sure (from memory) that AVG and AVAST do include spyware detection, so they aren't 'castrated'. Anyway, I'm probably dragging this post off-topic so I'm going to stop now.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

And Antivir too. No doubt the AV of CIS is still a child

12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Comodo Time Machine , according to Melih's comment, shares code with Ayrecovery. Which if i am not mistaken, uses and older version of Rollback/EAZ Fix.

The Comodo Time Machine is very cosy, but i got a warning message on installation, that it's not compatible with Shadow Defender , asking me to unistall it.

At the end, this plus the fact that i didn't like the EULA , made me go buy EAZ-fix 9 for 41 euros. Not very cheap, but it has no trouble with Shadow Defender (tried it), shows no incompatibility warning and i don't have to worry about EULAs, it can actually be activated completely offline (while i imagine Comodo will have the usual phone home activation when comes out stable).

13. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Just to put things in perspective ( and I know CTM is Beta) I cannot install it on my Win XP SP3 machine. I get an error message that says along the lines of "unsupported disk, CTM supports IDE\SATA and SCSI disks..." installation then fails. Others are reporting this on Comodos Website as I have

Given that this is not a truly new development but effectively licenced/purchased from the likes of AYRecovery/Horizon Rollback RX its astonishing that it does not work and follows the tradition of Comodo introducing software before its been fully vetted

Just my two pennyworth

Terry

14. Fuzzfas

If the version number labelling is common for all products, given that Ayrecovery is on version 6, while Rollback and EAZ Fix is on version 9, one understands that CTM (and Ayrecovery) are based on a much older version of Rollback and this is why it shows these problems.

I would be curious to see if you get the same message installing Rollback Rx or EAZ-Fix.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think they put this warning just to avoid conflicts. It may actually work very well with SD, although you might not need SD with CTM.

16. Fuzzfas

If i remember correctly, the problem is that the installation was aborted when i had SD installed.

17. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So I've been using AyRecovery since December and love it. Here is AyR white paper on using it with image software, and no I haven't tried it. For one thing I don't have an AyR CD. It's number 4!
    http://www.ayrecovery.com/Deployment.php

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

install CTM first. Then install SD.

19. Fuzzfas

I thought about it, but i concluded that this didn't safeguard me from potential disaster from the moment that they are clear that they have incompatibility. It would only be an attempt to fool the installer, but that doesn't cure the base problem.

Besides, the privacy part of the EULA is something i can't swallow easily, so i bought EAZ Fix. No need to install CTM now... EAZ Fix is newer version for sure.

20. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Regarding the error message about an unsupported disc;
    I got that as well.

I temporarily disconnected an external USB hard drive and the install completed without further incident.

Following the installation of CTM, I reconnected the USB drive and all is well.

21. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Well, I do have an external USB drive connected, but it is turned off. I still get the message. Seems this program does not support the drives that are in HP systems. That's going to be a LOT of systems not supported with this from Comodo. Too bad, I really wanted to try this software. :'(

22. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

can someone explain me what means "compact" i CTM?

Can i defrag my protected disk by third party software for example by defraggler?

if no ,then how i can defrag my disk when using CTM

Thanx

23. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I also got this message, but I checked and didn't have any USB things attached.
    Solution: Safely remove hardware (Stop all USB devices and you're good to go :) )

24. Fuzzfas

AFAIK, with programs based on Rollback, you can't defrag anymore with "normal" defragmenters. You need to defrag, install the program and from that point on, use the built in defragmenter ONLY. Otherwise you risk corruption of the sectors registry that the program keeps and when you ll need to restore a point, it will fail.

I think the only method to defrag with 3rd party defragmenters is uninstall CTM, defrag, reinstall. Of course you will lose all your snapshots.

See here for more details

http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rol...es-snapshot-degfrag-complete-alternative.html

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can you try it after disconnecting the external?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.