COMODO Time Machine BETA Released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Isn't CTM simply another backup software?

What's the difference between this tool and Windows System Restore or professional backup softwares by Paragon or Acronis?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

1.its a snapshot restore app like rollback...going back or forth in time to snapshots.
    2.Windows System Restore's reliability is very questionable
    3.Paragon or Acronis or shadow protect are drive back up apps they will help even when a hard drive fails ctm would not if that be the case

3. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

What makes CTM more reliable than Windows System Restore and why should I use this tool instead of another differential backup software?

4. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Already posted by guest: http://www.horizondatasys.com/213342.ihtml

5. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

6. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Which is the same as CTM although Comodo claims that their code is much improved and of course CTM is free

7. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification, Pliskin. I didn't know that CTM was an altered version of Rollback RX.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just for some additional clarification moving forward...., CTM appears to share code parentage with EAZ-FIX, AyRecovery, and Rollback Rx. However, I have not examined each product in detail. So take that for what it's worth.

The degree of code uniqueness between the various products is not terribly well characterized. Obviously, the various offerings have some level of customization.

Blue

9. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Hmm :D
    v3.12 is latest.
    I don't know about v4. Beta should be available at the end of the year.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In the interest of standing apart in this maze of security apps that perform various duties for claims of adequate protections, it's my hope at this point-in-time that C-Time Machine proves itself apart from even it's own other offerings and proves out even before the release a prudent, reliable, and most of all STABLE alternative.

As far as system restore goes, my own opinion is that it's well outdated now as being an authentically reliable backup resource.

I still run various malware tests and although being long experienced i can quickly remedy and resolve the issues of system restore being attacked and disabled (in so many ways), a common user who might depend on it would be totally lost should it throw up some error or worse yet simply refuse to open at all.

Just my little opinion, from real world experience it's wise to at least always keep a backup copy of your system and if you like, use the old but tried and true ERUNT registry backup tool in event of registry corruption which lately i seen my share of and having to resolve various levels of system restore disengagements from several different malicious methods.

12. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

In my experience, System Restore is not reliable. There are lots of reasons why people say this, but one thing I can think of is that malware can hide within System Restore. I've experienced this before, when I was a n00b in computer security. It totally ruined my OS, so I had to do a complete reinstall.

Also, I believe it only backs up certain files (ie. System files, etc.). Mind you, I've not used System Restore for years as well (last time I used it was in 2003), so things might've changed (for the better or not).

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

System Restore for me is reliable:thumb: ofcourse as always prevention is better than the cure

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, it's another Rollback/EazFix, product, same technology. So it likely will be no better/worse then they are.

15. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Who knows what it might turn out. I would take free than forking over 70 bucks for a similar license every time. I was able to get a good discount when I purchased my Roll Back license a little while back ago.

16. Please do not assume CTM and these products are the same... There are differences between the two products. Besides the hundreds of bug fixes, CTM has very high disk performance compared to others. Also CTM can protect 4 Hard Drives, likes Of EazFix can only protect 1, and off course, CTM is free for end users benefit.

3xist.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I understand those differences, but to me they are minor. The core technology is the same, and thats where both the performance gains, and problems for same came from. I would assume you can back up the claim of high performance relative to the others?

Pete

18. arran

arran Registered Member

Yes one reason why I not use system restore, because it can easily be attacked by malware. and also system restore uses more resources with that service running.

I believe in using a 3rd party program and having you original OS backed up on another separate UNPLUGGED hard drive is a lot more secure and effective, this was there is no possibility of malware infecting your backup OS.

19. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

no so "easily" for example rollback RX was tested against such attack and block all 9 kill disks malware , also it got very nice score at rootkit blocking.
    future more , such malware can attack you what ever CTM/rollabck RX/eaz fix present or not ... so what the point of your reply??
    when they are up u gain more protection against MBR or partition modification :)

20. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

you got it right :) , that was egeman reply to my question about the CTM "whats new" i asked over comodo forum

for a person who use such tech , HD Speed is the most important stuff.
    i know 1 thing , what ever COMODO touch it became GOLD and leading product of its kind ;)

cheers

21. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Are you sure you know your competition ? Eaz-fix can protect as many drives as you wish specified in the installation setup, not just one as you stated.o_O

(Thanks to Blue's post below, I stand corrected as i wrongly thought that Eaz-fix could really protect more than 1 drive during the installation setup.)

Now please show that CTM has very high disk performance compared to others.:'(

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  22. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol so ur saying Comodo AV is a "leader" of its kind...

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Look, what's new is a little more detailed than a listing of all the superficial stuff that makes it all-brand-new-and-shiny.

Let's have a little technical detail here. How about a bit of product due diligence folks.

According to the EAZ-FIX V9.0 release notes:
    also
    At least in my view, this is an inherent issue with the technology that a user must understand and fully appreciate when using this type of product.

Blue

24. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

While I like the fact that CTM will do it's thing with all drives I would rather have the option to specify only 1 drive to protect if that's what I wanted. I currently have two drives, one for system and one for backups, so I would want the option to not touch the backup drive so I don't loose any Data I may have stored there in between the snapshots. Other than this I found that CTM worked great.

25. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Looks like they're competing with Rollback RX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.