COMODO Time Machine BETA Released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Comodod disk shield was just like SD or Returnil. But CTM is totally different. It,s a rebranded/ modified version fo Eaz-Fix or AYRecovery.

2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I have a few questions for this forum.

I am not familiar with Rellback RX Eaz Fix & AY Recovery. Currently I use a combination of Sandboxie Shadow Defender and Shadow Protect (for imaging).

What I would like to know is this:

1) Does Comodo Time Machine have a recovery part to it so that I can get rid of Shadow protect or do you still need to run it with a recovery program like Shadow Protect??

2) How do you deal with software you want to try but are unsure about? (ie with shadow Defender I just reboot and its gone)

3) Does Comodo TM allow you to install software that requires a reboot but be able to get rid of it if its malware or you dont want it?

Thanks

Terry

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Mhh,

Comodo was the first to (at least that is what I know, so correct me when I am wrong) offer a Vista x64 HIPS in native x64 code.

So they have access to proven EAZ code and have a team with simular experience which might port this proven code to all different OS-ses and integrate it with their other Comodo software.

I am pleased that Comodo acquired itself a headstart through a skilled software engineer (third on a row as far as I know). This should reduce bugs in first release launch.

4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

1) if u mean full backup / restore module integrate like in eaz fix , it doesnt have (yet)
    2) simple , u install the software and trial it , u can always take a snap shot after u install it and jump to your before install it snap state.
    3) YES

cheers :)

5. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

thanks for the answer
    now i just realized that it has the same code of eaz-fix
    that's really disappointed me as i hoped it would be a new competeive code for eaz-fix /rollback rx , as they have their own drawbacks

u r right aigle
    i remember one of my friends have a very bad week because prevex detected rollback's own mbr rootkit , after he mistakenly deleted it , then he lost all the snapshots

rollback rx and eaz-fiz are graet products provided that the user is fully aware of their mode of action and any possible complications "by medical expressions" :D

6. demoneye

u cant blame eaz fix / rollback RX in the fault of Prevx FP alert
    this FP was reported to them couple of time (even by me) and they ddint fix it, so all the blame is on theirs pin heads :mad:

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Actually I was thinking Eaz-Fix and CTM being in MBR might protect against MBR rootkits. Not sure though.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just a general reminder out there before you jump on the beta test bandwagon.....

You need to be in a position to perform a complete bare metal rebuild of your file system if you go down the beta test path. That's a simple reality for any beta product (even ones that have apparently been in the field for a while), but it's particularly true with products that use the approach that this one apparently does (I've not tested it, nor do I have plans to, simply not my cup of tea).

While the basic scheme implemented has benefits of extreme speed, there are some genuine stability concerns which emerge if one attempts/performs file system manipulations outside of the product's environment. Simply stated, you run the risk of blowing everything away. If you really appreciate these constraints and act accordingly, you should be fine.

In any event, take a moment to implement the necessary backup protections on a separate physical device if you're going down the testing road and have not done so as yet. There are plenty of free and paid options out there (see here for some links to some of those resources).

Blue

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not sure. Ofcourse for malware testing best option is VM or a dedicated test machine. There are malware that bypassed Eaz-Fix etc.

10. demoneye

rollbac rx/ eaz fix v9 and even previous one v8.1 got some sort protection against MBR modification .. there is a test that show its resistance against some kill disks malwares

cheers

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

this type of software isnt really made for the purpose of testing malware, it can help recover from many malware attacks and testing software. but its best not to risk it on purpose.

12. developers

developers Registered Member

MBR Rootkit Malware vs Security Software:
    http://malwaretestlab.com/more.aspx?entry=25

RollBack Rx:
    AA686459F67017C86B22EC5F3C4E08D0 failed
    F2D2353E63F4D960611CC37A76D36DEC failed

13. demoneye

YES. it call "dos sub system" when u press the "home' key in order to enter it at post :)

14. demoneye

as far as i know and read around its total new code of course. (legit rights)
    and yes its look like rolllback RX / eaz fix ....and that awesome (and yes its FREE :D )

cheers

15. demoneye

100% agree :)

16. demoneye

17. s23

s23 Registered Member

Hi guys. Please if you guys can help me: I can't use anyone of this apps! I cannot use the subsystem to take/rollback snapshots - it always freeze! - Sometimes take snapshots work right but rollback always freeze - I need try rollback 10-15 times until it work (when work) - i not have RAID - I'm using a Seagate IDE drive ( slave of the DVD-rom drive). Motherboard is a GA-MA69VM-S2.
    I shot for all sides to try resolve this issue but nothing worked. I formated 3 times with different partition schemes and nothing. Take a look at the BIOS options and not see something that can be relationed. I'm using Vista SP2 - Tried change form x86 to x64 too and nothing. Added Shield.exe to DEP exclusions - nothing. The strange is this only happen with the subsystem - if i take a snapshot or make a rollback from Windows (through the system tray) it work right. Tried with EAZ-FIX, Rollback RX, Ay Recovery and now with CTM and same behaviour - In the VM (with the same Vista dvd - only without SP2 all work OK). The acronis subsystem work ok too when i tried it some time ago. You guys have some clue in what can be?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  18. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Definitely true, I always have a recent image disk - alone Eaz Fix - to avoid it.

19. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I may be wrong but didn't the old Diskshield block those o_O

20. demoneye

if only entering the sub system make your pc freeze , try to see if any anti virus protection is enabled in the bios if so disable it and try again....

cheers

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Good reminder!

Definitely shakes the nerves for me whenever a software app of this type is in beta stage given some of the released versions of similar programs which i have experienced fall flat on their face and take data along with them.

IMO, theres different levels of beta software and this one although hopefully both robust and quick, i would accept the advice offered and exercise caution against losing a production system and make sure first you have a full solid backup.

In the meantime this thread is of great interest, because it remains yet whether COMODO TIME MACHINE will equal and/or surpass similar type apps or not.

Staying tuned:::::::

22. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

It wouldn't install on my machine due to some disparity between disk size and sector count, but after finding out it's a RollbackRX clone, I'm kind of glad it didn't. I've always felt uncomfortable using this type of mbr based rollback program. It feels like building a house of cards that can crumble with one wrong move. Too much risk for too little gain, IMO.

23. demoneye

risk ? nonsense :mad:
    been using it for some years , and it save me so many time from malware and bad software installation or conflicts .
    further more , i cant imagine my pc life with out CTM/rollback RX/eaz fix like software . it let u feel free to mess up the pc as much as u like , and at the end of day rollback to snap before it start happen ;)

cheers

24. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i consider it far from little gain, rollback rx is the most irrplaceable part of my setup, i honestly dont know what id do without it. its the 1 product that has never failed me nor have i felt a need to replace it.

25. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

What happens when you can't startup the OS anymore, due to whatever reason. What options does Comodo TM give then ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.