COMODO Time Machine BETA Released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

This application looks interesting. So if someone is running this, reboot to restore like Returnil and Shadow Defender is not needed anymore or can they co-exist on a system?

Based off the screenshots posted, is it like VMware's snapshot wherein the user can go from one snapshot to another whenever he feels like it (move back or forward between snapshots)? And another thing, how and where are the snapshots stored ie, on the system partition or on a backup capsule like paragon's backup capsule and how much space is usually needed for them?

2. Hi Guys...

Yes, You can go Back in time, and also in the future (as long as you have the snapshots) This is designed to be extremely fast and effective. Snapshots shouldn't even take a second. Also ability to restore of boot too.

Hence the power of it being integrated into CIS version 4 is going to be awesome. The name saids it all: It really is a time machine. ;) It's not a good idea to run this with other software such as returnil, etc. Snapshots are stored on a system partition AFAIK.

3xist.

3. guest

guest Guest

yes.

but

hdd performance will be slower, i think.
    and what about defragging? can we defrag hdd?

4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Does it have the same issues with defragging and imaging as Rollback RX et al ?

5. Defragging should work fine. Performance should NOT be affected. In beta at the moment, CTM does conflict with certain Disk Utilities such as disk encryption, but defragging shouldn't be an issue. 3 people tested defragging, and works ok. :)

3xist.

6. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

hello mates
    just asking does CTM act like eazfiz and rollback rx by writing its codes to the MBR "MASTER BOOT RECORD" which is the main disadvantage of such kind of these softwares as any bootable media could destroy the hard disk

or it act like FD-ISR by writing its codes to the PBR "partition boot record" which in fatc seems more safe than handling the MBR

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Dragons Forever, can you pls suggest them to atleast change the word by word copy of all the writings in the GUI from Ez-Fix , AyRecovery etc. It looks so cheepish and immoral IMO. I will even like a new name.

Thanks

8. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

Its MBR as far as i know , same is used in rollback RX / eaz fix .... so i am almost sure its MBR :)

cheers

9. demoneye

:D time to share our respect to them :D

10. demoneye

u can login in to comodo forum and write it in "wish list" over there ;)

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

So is it safe to assume installation of this turns off Windows own system restore utility? Does CTM ask you how much hard drive space you are willing to devote to it? And as someone asked earlier, how much ram does this eat? thanks

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Throw any dog trojan on it and I guess it will be bypassed. :p

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will do but they must had not even done it in the first place. Never expected them to be so cheapish, sorry to say.

14. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

+1

Mike

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

does this restore completely as rollback rx does with all file changes as well as system components?

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And you folks make fun of me.:doubt:

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You forgot MBR rootkits mate.

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Nice releace. :D

I gave it a quick run and I can confirm that Comodo Timemachine is an EAZ-FIX clone or better say derivate.

I guess they took onboard either Sun Hanxiang or Jian Zhang (with Shen Andrew, the main developer of Eaz-fix/Rolback Rx, have the patent of the technology).
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=7313726.PN.&OS=PN/7313726&RS=PN/7313726

Horizondatasys is going to have a hard time in the near future.

congrats to Melih and his team for this move.:cool: :thumb:

Panagiots

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, I agree with you. Seems it is not Comodo,s own code. They bought the code or licence or got an OEM partnership with Eaz-Fix/ AyRcovery people. That,s why it has exactly same features and even the GUI options etc etc.

20. firzen771

well that sounds like a good thing then IMO, least its proven good then.

21. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Agree with firzen771. :thumb:

22. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Not only the guide, the exes, the dlls and the command utility are similar (at least they changed the name from "shield"). The hooks are similar too.
    Well that depends on the experiences one had with that software. I own 1 license of RollbackRX 8, 1 of RollbackRX 9 and 1 of EAZ-FIX 9, but I decided to uninstall all of them from my machines.

When they work as they should everything is fine and I adore them, but when they don't... prepare yourself for several hours of datarecovering procedures. ;)

Panagiotis

23. firzen771

well ive been using it for around a year now i think and not an issue ever yet. so im pretty pleased to hear this about Comodo.

24. firzen771

btw is ther a comodo screen before windows loads like in Rollback Rx?

25. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Isn't this totally new code for the product?
    I mean, they said they are rewriting it but what do we get here now?
    Last time i've installed it was similar to Shadow Defender and DeepFreeze and now look is more like RollbackRX and EAZ-FIX?
    I guess that they have changed their opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.