COMODO Time Machine BETA Released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I've used CTM since first beta and haven't had any problems except CPU usage problems (seems to be bug)

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ok, btw im on Win7 32bit, so if anyone has experience with CTM on that, it wuld be good to know.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've not tested CTM, but with Rollback, which I played with on a raid 0 system, and it sort of worked, the restore was about the time of a reboot. That's what is should be as you aren't really restoring, but just pointing to different sectors.

PS, as an aside, you shouldn't see much slow down with SD. I ran shadowed for 3 hours yesterday, with live market action, a webinar, and music playing, and I was recording the whole thing with Camtasia. The recorded file ended up being 1.6gb. No Slowdown.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I use it on Win7 x64, and it works excellently.

5. firzen771

thx for feedback, and anybody know an approximate timeframe wen they plan to release it out of beta (if they have even said anything)

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Wel on the play pc, I now use this config

Made C the programs and OS partitiion, moved all temp files and desktop to another location D:\data, so C was as static as posisble

Active

-CTM (only tracks whether tracks are changed)
    -LUA, with registry hack to run MSI files with runas
    -SRP default deny user space (this is XP Pro SP3)
    -Immunet (check only at install), checks through cloud so no local DB update
    -using Chromeplus Sanbbox and privacy options

On demand
    Autoruns (with save as and compare to check new arrivals if any)
    Hitman Pro (also through cloud check)

This is rerally low CPU cycles or I/O spend on security :D

7. apathy

apathy Registered Member

CTM running good for me. I haven't met with the nasty repeating chkdsk problem yet. Is there any way to exclude files/folders?

8. Kees1958

As far as I know not.

- option to exclude disk-partition
    - option to synchronise folders

The best to keep your C -partition stable is to create a data partition

You can download Partition Wizzard, but uninstall CTM first (re-install afterwards)

With your data and your temp files (both windows/webbrowsers and other) on another partition your C-partition will be more static, so less work for CTM and smaller snapshots.

Regards Kees

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Setup an old ide drive with XP as a testbed for sandbox/vm aware rogue apps with CTM installed but can't seem to find an exclusion for the second partition which was there for my Win 7 64 bit install?

10. Kees1958

The second beta has it, it asks during install, after install this is shown

Note: I got Paragon working with CTM. You have to use Raw Partition backup with no compress. Then Paragon copies the partition sector by sector even unused space

Attached Files:

11. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

A few people have stated they think that CTM is a "clone" of EZFix or Rollback Rx... or even that Comodo "bought" the code.

But it would not make any sense to "buy" the code and then give it away for free.

I wonder if the patent on the code expired and it became public domain and Comodo grabbed it and started massaging it.

Or... maybe the idea is to give it away so people get used to having it and rely on it, and THEN... start charging for it.

In any event.... as long as it's a give-away... I'll cetainly be happy to try it once it gets out of BETA.

So I wish to say "THANK YOU" to Comodo.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  12. firzen771

o very nice tip, thx a lot, this will be very useful, so use raw partition backup and dont compress the backup, but why does compression matter?

13. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So relative to your "Note", how would you boot into the Paragon recovery system since your boot sequence is set to start with the snapshot software. This is assuming that isn't functional or you'd just be recovering to a snapshot. Hope this question makes sense!

14. Kees1958

@firzen

Because CTM stoes its snapshots on free disk space.

@ratchet

WHen you would need to recover your OS image, you need a paragon recovery CD.

@All

I got it working once (from baseline), when retried with a snapshot, CTM died in the indexing files stage. Surprisingly Paragon recognised that MBR was messed up and did a rebuild of the MBR and removed the CTM pre-boot OS loader. CTM did succesfully de-install afterwards. Checkdsk told me the file system was okay.

So next time I will first perform all possible emergency procedure scenarios before I tell I have got something working :blink:

15. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

That is quite alright! You.\'ve uncovered the fact that paragon CD will let you boot if the snapshot softwares can't recover from the problem!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  16. overangry

overangry Registered Member

I currently use Rollback Rx. I just updated to the new build and was surprised that I had to un-install it, as a ressult I had to delete all my snapshots.
    Will Comodo Time Machine behave similar when installing a new build or will I be able to keep my snapshots?

17. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Yes...

18. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Thanks ambient_88...

19. loli22

loli22 Registered Member

i tried the latest beta, but it detected thet i have a linux partition and ctm "cant work with linux partitions"

what's this?

20. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

COMODO Time Machine 2.2.121064.147 RC Released!

What's New in 2.2.121064.147?
    NEW! Updater function is available. You can keep all snapshots during update. Note: This function just works for RC and later version. BETA users can't use this feature.
    NEW! Help file is available. Note: Currently, Help file is not the final version. Please report bugs you met to bug report thread.
    NEW! Command line tool is available. You can get more detail informations about command line tool from help file.
    FIXED! More than 100 fixes of GUI. GUI will be more stable..
    FIXED! Can't work with removable devices.
    FIXED! Can't work with plugged-in card reader.
    FIXED! Bug of dynamic disk support on Windows 7. Now CTM could be installed to dynamic disk on Windows 7.
    FIXED! BSOD during snapshot defragmentation

DOWNLOAD

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dragons Forever, as per your request, this thread is closed!

JR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.