COMODO Time Machine 2.4.125818.154 FINAL Released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dragons Forever, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korben

korben Registered Member

Already asked and this is what I got:

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Another oddity about this program is how crappy the GUI and system try icon look. Almost pixelated, or low res. As if it was from 10 years ago. Not that it effect performance, but I am still surprised.

3. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

nice work comodo !! another great software from them !! you ownz! :)

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

The RC2 install hung at 84% on Vista laptop but tried the final today and all went smooth. I did manually turn System Restore off first. Don't know if that was the problem or not. Some strange coincidences about the whole CTM thing though. So late last December (0:cool: someone posted a link to an AyRecovery forum (Nabble to be exact) where a free one year license for AyR was available, which I took advantage of and came to the conclusion that I would pay for this type of software. It's been implied that CTM is AyR with a few new things under the hood and a GUI face lift. So just about a year to the day, CTM becomes available and the Nabble website has vanished. All I know is that Comodos timing couldn't be better! Thank you Comodo!

5. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I'm also curious to hear comments on this question.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is CTM similar to "Norton GoBack"? I've worked on systems that had Goback installed and it was the worst resource hog - always chewing away in the background and slowing the computer down.

7. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I believe it was based off of RollBack Rx/EAZ-FIX and they did their own improvements on top of all that.

8. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

No,for example on my xp home CTM(2process)eats 10 MB of memory

CTM is LIke RollbackRX,EaZ-FiX or Ay Recovery

works with no problems

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you give some examples how of you use CTM? I almost never need System Restore and I create document backups and full disk images for disaster recovery.

10. ratchet

Assuming you aren't running in some sort of virtual mode: Try software (even if it requires a reboot). You don't like it, select a snapshot, reboot and it's gone in two minutes; Installed some software that was not compatible with your setup, just reboot; Windows updates your PC but wrecks it. Total freeze job! You force shutdown but upon reboot the system just hangs and won't boot. Just force shutdown again. During the next boot, you have about five seconds to press the home key, which will open CTM, select a snapshot and your system will be right where it was prior to the Windows update. Keep in mind that a snapshot takes one to two seconds and restore the same length of time as a normal boot. Having said all that, these softwares are not compatible with every system, but no more/no less than any other program. There also seems to be continual discussion on how to restore an image with these clones installed, however, members have accomplished it. All I know is that AyRecovery has saved my butt a number of times in the past year. Ironically, it even did it while trying to uninstall it. My one year free license had expired at the end of December. I had analyzed the installation a year ago with ZSoft and used it to uninstall AyR. It screwed everything up. System was froze, could not get online, complete failure even after reboots. As a last resort I booted pressing the home key and amazingly AyR was there. This after I observed ZSoft uninstall file after file. I selected a snapshot and I was back. Then I uninstalled AyR with its own uninstaller and am now using CTM!

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks, this gives me a better idea. You do bring up an important point about using CTM along with standard disk imaging. I know I can rely on imaging so CTM would need to be compatible with it. No matter how good this kind of software is it obviously cannot protect against a hardware failure. Sooner or later either the drive will fail or I'll want to replace it with a larger one and a disk image makes recovering/upgrading really easy.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  12. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ ratchet, thanks for your useful and informative detail post.

BTW and off topic (but I liked to know if possible): can you remember if you did firstly the uninstall with their own uninstaller (AyRecovery) and after with ZSoft'log analyze?

13. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Any people tried it with multi-boot software like BootIt NG ?
    Does CTM in any way fiddles with the MBR ?
    I'm waiting for the bravehearts. :p

14. ratchet

I used Zsoft first but I guess it (the AyR install archive)was corrupted for some reason. It kept uninstalling files but never finished.

15. ratchet

Also, from CMT forum: "

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Use with Disk Imaging
    « Reply #1 on: Today at 10:07:53 AM »
    CTM is compatible with disk imaging. Any disk imaging software that provides to image _all_ sectors of a disk will do the trick. This is sometimes called raw imaging support. I am personally using DriveSnapshopt very successfully with EAZ-FIX, a close relative of CTM. I have done many image backups of my EAZ-FIX protected drive and was always able to restore to an earlier image (or back and forth)."

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ ratchet, thanks for the info.

17. PsychEroc

PsychEroc Registered Member

After some thorough research, ends up all these companies are related: InaSoft (InaQuick Rescue), EAZ Solutions (EAZ-Fix), Horizon DataSys (Rollback Rx), and Anyue Technology (AyRecovery and PCTimeMachine).
    The inventors of the technology, Shen, Sun, Jain et al, have co-founded or worked for or each of these companies (their current patent: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...=7313726.UREF.&OS=ref/7313726&RS=REF/7313726).
    Each of the rescue/rollback/timemachine programs sold by these sister companies are practically clones, with some minor, mostly cosmetic differences (discussed in many Wilders posts).
    Mehil says Comodo Time Machine (CTM) is also associated with this business group in some way that allows CTM to legally use their resources (https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corn...a-released-t45601.0.html;msg329420#msg329420). Although the exact nature of the relationship is unknown, CTM is indeed the same or at least an offshoot of the same software.
    This information will certainly not be made public, or else everyone would stop buying the commercial clones and instead use the free CTM.

18. newbino

newbino Registered Member

user manual now available at the link above, under the tab "Support"

19. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I have a few questions about CTM :-

- does it use a separate partition (1 or many?) and is this visible under Disk Management?
    - Has anyone used CTM with WHS?

20. LaserWraith

LaserWraith Registered Member

COMODO Time Machine Review

For those of you wanting screenshots and CTM's features, please see this two-page review:

Comodo Time Machine Review

May satisfy you for a bit. :p

21. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

No separate partition involved, CTM basically maintains a layer between the operating system and the file system.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Re: COMODO Time Machine Review

This review provides a helpful overview of CTM. Thanks!

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

So, how does CTM compare with System Restore in Windows 7? One difference I notice is the CTM boot time control panel, which makes it possible to restore a snapshot before the system boots. That could be very useful if the system can't boot. Other then that how would you describe the differences? Also, does CTM disable System Restore? Is that an option?

24. makios

makios Registered Member

Tried to install it .... But unfortunately no Raid supported :(

25. ratchet

A long time ago I had read that the clones disable SR. Then between here and Comodo's site I read that CTM does also. By the way, CTM's GUI is so much better than AyR was. I've already taken advantage of its intuitive layout, in that since I don't keep my pop3 (Outlook Express) mails on my ISP's server, if I receive mail later than a snapshot I restore to, they won't be there after the restoration. It was very easy to synch OE (is excluded) so that after a recovery they'll all be there. Same with Firefox bookmarks. You can add your anti-malware updates or anything. Hard to believe this is free!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.