Comodo Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by curious george, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curious george

curious george Registered Member

I've been playing around with this thing, and looks like i found myself a new toy.

Was just wondering, what settings have you changed/added milking the most out of your security?

Sort of "whats your security setup" for comodo :D

2. guest

guest Guest

I have only change from the defaults this settings:

Right click-> config -> proactive security

Fw behavior settings -> create rules for safe applications

Defense+ Settings -> Execution control settings -> treat unrecognized files as "Limited"

Firewall -> stealth ports wizard -> Alert me to incoming....

3. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Adding your browsers to run always in the sandbox would be a good thing also.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if adding the browser to run in the sandbox does it run like runsafer or restricted?thanks

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Removed Antivirus, already have better alternatives.

Firewall: Alert Frequency Level Medium, Protect ARP Cache, Block Gratuitous ARP Frames, Do protocol analysis.

Defense+: Treat unrecognized files as Limited.

Preferences: Enable password protection for the settings.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I would set D+ as untrusted for unrecognized files. It been shown in a few tests that limited allows some malware to tamper with system process. Nothing critical but still annoying.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or even block:thumb:

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You can set it at 4 different levels: Partially Limited, Limited, Restricted or Untrusted.

9. guest

guest Guest

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

in the last version i saw the block option for it:)

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Blocked is still there, but doesn't need any description.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ah i see thanks:D

13. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

I have read somewhat about CIS on these forums and I am thinking of trying it and I have two questions about CIS .........

1. Can somebody tell me, what are the differences, between "Comodo Internet Security - Download" and "Comodo Firewall Only" - Download ??
    ... Does "Comodo Firewall Only" - Download Product contain both D+ and sandboxing ?

2. I noticed on this forum that comodo issues at quite frequent intervals updates/new releases of CIS and Comodo Firewall only. Is there an option to export the firewall rules and defense+ rules from current version and then import them into the new updates/releases that are sunsequently installed ??
    ... If it exists, does this export/import of rules to new release/updates work successfully ?

14. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Both contain D+ & Sandboxing

You can indeed export and import settings from one version to another and the feature works good.

15. guest

guest Guest

1. I'm not sure but you can download the free internet security suite (full version) and the check what you want to install.
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html

2. Yes you can export the rules, with the little updates like 5.1 to 5.2 5.3 or 5.4 you dont need to do anything Comodo automatically add them maybe with the big updates you can't use the old rules because some important changes in the HIPS...

Anyway with the whitelist the rules are not a problem anymore, during a couple of days you will see 4 or 5 pop ups and them thats it.
    Usually when there is a new update I delete all the rules from the trusted files list just to start over.

16. JosephB

So, then, is the only difference between Comodo Firewall Free vs CIS, that CIS adds an Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware Scanner ??
    ... any other differences between the 2 products ??

17. guest

guest Guest

There aren't other differences.
    The good thing is that even installing the firewall version (Fw and D+) you also have the Comodo cloud, so every unknown file is uploaded an analyzed by Comodo AV in the cloud and by the cloud behaviour blocker.

You can also install CIS and then disable the AV and install another AV, so you can still use Comodo AV on demand.

18. JosephB

Cudni, guest

Thanks for info.

.... BTW, if its okay with policies, can anyone indicate the feature differences between CIS, OA and Outpost ? .... For example, do they all have file protection and sandboxing ?, etc.

19. guest

guest Guest

Short answer.
    Only CIS includes Sandbox.
    In my opinion CIS and OA HIPS are a bit better than Outpost.
    CIS HIPS gives less popups than OA due to the whitelist.
    About the firewall the 3 of them do a good job.
    Probably the most easy to use is Outpost also has very few popups

I recomend you Comodo :D although OA is an excellent alternative but I never got use to it also the free version does not have some important features.
    https://www.online-armor.com/products.php

My advice: Try Comodo during a couple of weeks if you find it difficult then go with Outpost Free or paid, if you find it easy to use try OA and decide which one do you preffer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@JosephB: CIS, CAV, and CFW all contains D+, which includes sandboxing. You can choose not to install Firewall or AV. You can disable D+ (and sandbox) only after installation

21. carat

carat Guest

Does anyone use Comodo AV without D+ and sandbox? :doubt:

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I have tried that a while back. Works fine, but may not be your best option. The AV had improved significantly though, and pretty light.

23. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

It would have been good if they would have allowed to run FW, AV & AutoSandBox Only with D+ Disabled. I would have run this setup.

Thanxx
    Naren

24. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

-- Apparently no. I have used RunSafer and Avast Sandbox and the one thing that I found out is that you cannot print to pdf from the browser, File>Print. In fact any browser that is placed Sandbox Always. The plugin also is sandboxed. With OA RunSafer/Avast Sandbox you can even SBIE( with DropMyRights enabled).

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for replying;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.