comodo privacy concerns

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by concerned chris, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concerned chris

concerned chris Registered Member

My comodo firewall was disabled today and I was told that there was a newer version available (via the comodo browser as none of my other internet applications would function with the crippled firewall), after downloading and reading the update agreement (yehh I do that) I uninstalled it straight away (why should a firewall record anything at all that you don't tell it to.). I couldn't find the exact wording of the new agreement but these are some quotes from their homepage. As their 'services' include filtering all internet traffic and words such as abusive and offensive refer to the vast majority of the internet, depending upon your interpretation, they can pretty much do what they like with any information that passes through their firewall.

"3.5. Recording of Services.
    Comodo may monitor and record any remediation services provided.
    Comodo may release recorded information for any of
    1) satisfying a law, regulation or government request,
    2) operating the remediation services properly, or
    3) protecting Comodo’s business reputation, software, or customers

7.2. Compliance.
    You shall...
    (6) not use the Products to transmit any unlawful, harassing, libelous,
    defamatory, racist, indecent, abusive, violent, threatening, intimidating, harmful,
    vulgar, obscene, offensive or otherwise objectionable material of any kind or nature."

As for their privacy statement :

"Personal information is collected from customers only after obtaining consent" if you read on you will notice that your consent is given if you use their website, download their software, give them information or ask for information.

They go on to say a lot more that they do.

sourced from http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/ (the little tiny 'here' link in the small print at the bottom of the page)

Is this sort of thing normal? I never had it with zonealarm but then they sold out, so I switched...Now I've felt the need to switch again. The older I get the more I turn into a technophobe..

Any info would be appreciated

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Whilst I have no interest in reading their policy or agreeing/disagreeing with you, I'll say this: Many people on this forum have 0 interest in 3rd party firewalls with good reason, they generally cause more issues down the line than they solve. Varying from blocking harmless packets (false positives) to breaking windows functionality (via hooks) to introducing new security flaws.

This poll shows how most people prefer using Windows Firewall and/or a router firewall: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=315487

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

"... otherwise objectionable material of any kind or nature ..."

LOLOLOL! Gotta love that one! :cautious:

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

bog standard clauses as you should be aware reading agreements as you do. nothing to be concerned in that respect.

5. marktor

marktor Registered Member

If your concern is comodo could be monitoring your internet activity. I do not believe they are doing that nor have I seen anyone show any proof that they are.

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I haven't read any of these EULA's. In general I would worry more about M$ over stepping the "big brother" boundaries than some of these 3rd party folks. Why do I feel that way? They have an enormous "machine" behind them and can frankly do whatever they want inside their OS and you would never know - including THEIR firewall. Those digitally signed and encrypted updates could be doing anything. We all know its true but we use the OS anyway. It is a great piece of work but it is what it is.

Obviously their firewall is not going to interfere with the OS since its designed and tested by the same maker. I can say that I have never even looked at the Windows firewall but after reading this thread and thinking about it I am going to give it a go in the next few days. Starting on the "family machine" first. LOL!!

If M$ was going to do something "under handed" to peer into our lives the firewall is not likely to be their method. They would commandeer the OS and there would be about nothing you could do to prevent it. Not trying to be an a@@ but its true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.