Comodo planning to harvest data for ads?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by winsomelosesome, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winsomelosesome

winsomelosesome Registered Member

I remember some questionable EULA text in the past. I just found a patent application that:

"A method of advertising using a user profile based on a user's interaction with websites, including the time spent on the website and the user's rating of keywords associated with the contents of the website."

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100121681

Made by the CEO of Comodo. Seeing as they provide security software it is of great concern that they may collect data and use it for financial profit. There must be some privacy issues with this.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Time will tell the implications, if any, of this patent

3. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Nice first post, interesting.

4. winsomelosesome

Yes it should be interesting to see what the implication of this are, hopefully this isn't the path that free software vendors begin to take to make profit. As I know there are a lot of vendors offering security software and they could make profits off it easy. Heres to hoping it isn't abused :)

I know there was a scare with Avira calling out to google, but I think that turned out to be a rumor, but their giant pop up is advertising. At this point though I hope they aren't collecting user information.

5. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

6. winsomelosesome

Wooow no need to get all worked up calm down no need to hate, for all we know they may not use their security software to collect data its all speculation its just the patent that is alarming, because it seems like a invasion of privacy.

7. Metastasio

Metastasio Registered Member

I recently checked out Comodo Dragon, but when I saw they were using some DNS-leaking old iteration of Chromium, I chucked it wholesale, grabbed the latest copy of Chromium, and set it up with the following command line tweaks:

--safe-plugins --proxy-server="socks5://localhost:8080" --incognito --url="http://www.scroogle.org/scraper.html" --disable-logging --disable-metrics --disable-metrics-reporting --disable-dev-tools

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.