Comodo passes all leak tests

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by drmjx, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drmjx

drmjx Registered Member

Just tested all the leak tests jetico failed at, and the new cpf picked them all up. Could someone confirm that? (the tests on the web site, from March 06 were done with cpf v1)...
    Then i retrospectively went and did the other tests and they were all picked up. Edit: Comodo certainly claim all this..

I did have an issue of some sites not loading but I think it's just my machine :D

2. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

hmm i think jetico passes all the leaktests mentioned on the firewall test site now too. there's only one test that comes to mind that i'm not sure either jetico or comodo has passed yet, the pcflank leak test found here:
    http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest.htm

you could try that

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi zopzop,
    Jetico does pass the pcflank leak test, as Jetico will "popup" the leaktest attempted access. (This is with IE already started / connected to the internet)

I never got as far as to test Comodo with this test.

4. drmjx

drmjx Registered Member

zopzop, just tried comodo, and it passed it. As for jetico passing all tests, is there a newer version available because the version I downloaded was the one tested?

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi drmjx,
    Which "tests" do you mean. I have not found Jetico to fail a leaktest yet.
    I will re-run any tests to check.

6. khazars

khazars Registered Member

well, jumper fails on mine although I had wrote a rule later but I have forgot what it was as I deleted it to retest a few weeks ago!

7. drmjx

drmjx Registered Member

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests_overview.php

bottom of the page, view results; once there, the headers of the tests are linked to binaries. Sorry, it's been a long night :)

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Jetico fails on this, as this is a registry "attack", Jetico does not protect the registry. I use SSM to cover this.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi drmjx,
    Does Comodo (this is now on version 2?) pass the 2 "breakout" tests? (windows_Message) (I had forgotten about these,..I dont use IE, so these tests are of no concern to me, personally)

EDIT,
    By the way,.. Jetico does pass the DNStester, as it flags this access

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  10. drmjx

drmjx Registered Member

Stem,

Comodo passes DNStester, Breakout1, Jumper (identified as non-passable by jetico).

With breakout2 the app manages to set active desktop (fair enough as it's localised), but no web page is set. I'd appreciate if someone could confirm this, have to run to work :)

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

From my use of Jetico, I will argue about the DNStester results, but not about the others (its why I use SSM,.. and even SSM, at this time, will not intercept the windows_message leaktest, Thats why I dont use IE, (well one reason))

I am impressed if comodo is passing the "Breakout test",... well done.

Regards

12. charincol

charincol Registered Member

On my system, DNSTester is blocked by Jetico, as I do not run the Windows DNS service. I run treewalkDNS. Breakout1 does nothing as far as I can tell (meaning there is no change, nothing pops up to say it was successful, nothing starts) when I run it, presumably because I have stripped windows messenger out of my XP. Breakout2 tried to change my wallpaper to an active desktop screen but it fails, because active desktop received the same fate as WM before XP made my PC its home. Jumper shuts down windows explorer.exe, but my taskbar never comes back up so IE doesn't open (I'm guessing because of other "vulnerabilities" I've stripped out.) Of course they could be something , but they at least are not successful at producing the results they are supposed to. So my layered protection of not having unneccesary Windows components even installed and Jetico blocks all of them for me, without the resources of Comodo.

I did have to disable AppDefend/RegDefend so the tests would run.

13. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

Be sure to not base you security on what is disabled, since a malware could start it back. If you anyway want to go this way, ensure that you are asked/warn when a disabled service tries to start.

Regards,
    gkweb.

14. charincol

charincol Registered Member

Enabled DNS Client service and ran DNSTester again. Jetico passes. So that does end up being all listed.

15. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

My reply was not targetted to Jetico specifically, but more generally to the general argument I have seen many times about the workaround of disabling the Windows DNS client service to prevent the leak from occuring. I wanted to state it was not a good defense, and that if you want to go this way, ensure you block svchost.exe from executing with the following command line "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService" OR install a firewall passing the leak (it's better).

Some users after reading your post could have thought it was that easy and could have thought to be protected like this, hence my post.

About Jetico and DNStester, I wasn't able to have consistent results, sometimes it was passing it, but sometimes not. But it has nothing to do with what I wanted to point out.

To finish, indeed disabling what is not needed is a good baseline, and adding layers to your security is what I've always advised :
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/advices.htm

BTW I very like AppDefend too, especially because you can allow an exe to run (e.g svchost) but deny it to run with a particular command line (e.g the DNS client service above).

Regards,
    gkweb.

16. neonSurge

neonSurge Registered Member

Well if you test, you will see that it passes with flying colors....The correct criteria of the test is to give full access right to the internet explorer and then test...The firewall must show PCFlank.exe as the connection initiator. If jetico says PCFlank is trying to connect, then it passes.
    In my system, jetico does not pass PCFlank test.

17. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

Thanks STEM ;-)

Comodo Firewall passes all tests apart from breakout-2 (we pass breakout-1). All these are passed using the Comodo firewall out of box, without requiring any intervention from the user.

Also we pass the PCFlank test.

On Thursday 15th June, we will release a new version that will pass the BITSAdmin leak test (that has been revelaed few days ago).

PS: We already are well under way with building the protection in order to pass the breakout-2 test and that should be out soon ;-)

Thanks
    Melih

18. neonSurge

neonSurge Registered Member

Breakout tests do not test only internet explorer but any application. I mean the threat exists for any application. www.firewallleaktester.com has its mozilla/firefox version available for download.

J

19. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

melih, excellent job as always. any news on when (if) comodo will be toned down a bit when it comes to resource use? on my desktop it eats up about 30megs of ram (i don't care cause i have 2gigs of ram) but my laptop with a measly 512 megs of ram, every little bit of ram counts :)

jetico, for example uses anywhere from 8-10megs (last time i checked).

20. khazars

khazars Registered Member

Yea, Jetico fails dnstester, breakout and jumper but it hasn't had an update for nearly a year and the last two leaktests are more recent!

We'll just have to wait for the new release and see how it does then!

21. Melih-Comodo

Thanks.

First week of July we will have the version with really reduced ram usage.

Melih

22. Melih-Comodo

I agree we should wait and see, but I believe that the speed of response is a very important aspect, as any newly discovered leak test is a vulnerability for the Firewall and it must be updated to patch it. This is why we are releasing an upgrade this thursday to protect against BITSAdmin leak test.

thanks
    Melih

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi, yes I have run this before for firefox, but nothing happened. I have just downloaded and run again, SSM intercepts: popup: command line: breakout_mozilla_firefox.exe. So it can be blocked there, but even if I allow this through SSM, (with firefox already running) no connections (or any outbound) are made. (I have been running a network analyzer just to confirm)

24. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Great news there Melih.

25. Melih-Comodo

Comodo now passes the BITS leak test. (I think the only firewall to pass this leak test fresh out of box)

this is a really nasty leak.
    you can read about the leak here http://www.firewallleaktester.com/news.htm#57

(I know the guy who runs this site thinks there is only one way to protect it, well, someone has to break the news to him, his statement is incorrect now that Comodo protects agains this leak test out of box, with no messing around with settings :) )

thanks
    Melih

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.