Comodo or Zone Alarm free?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

many thanks:thumb: i love it too:thumb:

2. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

Well, another free FW for your pourpouses can be "RISING Firewall Free Edition".
    Very, very nice application also, small footprint, no HIPS, downloads worms & other malware database updates (for scan memory before a new app try to connect out and for user demand), self made last updated installer, you can choose components you want when first installation, and after easily.....

I still have it installed on my PC (deactivated, of course), because I'm using CIS with Defense+ activated, and I've updated many times RISING FW without any type of problems with both (RISING FW & CIS) installed on my system.
    The RISING FW can be started before user logging also.;)

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

many thanks:thumb:

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i tried rising firewall, its was very nice and light and didnt slow down internet traffic at all, but it also gave me a feeling like it wasnt actually working even, i dunno, i just didnt feel protected with it. this could be just me being insane though :p but other than those feelings of insecurity, it seemed like a decent firewall.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i just downloaded the ashampoo free firewall it was fast but i dont know it that much,some one recomended to me here like 2 hours ago but i didnt feel so secure and i went ahead and tried the new version of zone alarm it is way faster than version 7:thumb: let's see the results

6. Someone

Someone Registered Member

With Defencewall + Mamutu, almost no malware can get past it, so IMHO u don't really need outbound protection.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you know what i was realizing that:D mamutu is very informative a good alerter and defensewall a good malware blocker in real time:thumb:

8. luanme

luanme Registered Member

get Comodo's firewall

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i love this one but it slow me down alitle,but i will consider using it again if i dont get anything for free

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Have you tried Online Armor free?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

like 5 months ago but i got a delayed boot up pc problems,i dont know if they fix that or not

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so will mamutu replace my firewall?

13. firzen771

Mamutu wont do a what a firewall does, it will protect from malware, but not be a firewall replacement.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for clarification:thumb:

15. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

For a good "outbound" protection, you need a software firewall too. Mamutu don't covers this because is centered on malware & bad behavior, you lack some control for outbound connections attempts.
    Mamutu was tested by Matousek FW anti-leak test, but Mamutu itsn't a firewall!
    They (Mamutu) were a lot disagree with testing it in a firewall comparission.
    So the software vendor explain clear what's his security market position, not a firewall, yes an antimalware & bad behavior blocker with a community based support.

Have you tested RISING FW Free? I recommend to you for testing it, only, and you choose with some experience & feels with it.;)

16. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Comodo and ZA are both decent free firewalls. However, I would go for Comodo Firewall with Defense+(HIPS).

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thanks for advice:thumb:

18. illicit

illicit Registered Member

I use OA paid with Defensewall and Mamutu. I have no issues whatsoever. I would imagine the Free is a similar experience. :thumb:

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool,one question?if you have online armor do you really need mamutu?thanks again:thumb:

20. illicit

illicit Registered Member

No, not really. I just really like Mamutu, and it has no effect on system performance.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok i see,i am trialing mamutu at the moment and i can tell you it is very fast:thumb:plus running mamutu and defensewall i feeel very secure

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

WoW, thats one helluva setup you got there

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool,i have a similar one Zone Alarm free+defensewall+mamutu:thumb:

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is mamutu better than threatfire?or equal?any advises or is there another beh blocker in town?

25. firzen771

well, Mamutu seems to be quicker, more responsive and reliable from my use compared to threatfire. i used to use threatfire and it had a lot of annoying bugs/design flaws. Mamutu gives you more choices on what to do with detected behavior, and Mamutu has never deleted something thats needed for the system to run, which threatfire has before. after all its problems, i just dont trust threatfire anymore and prefer Mamutu, but if your looking into other BB, check drivesentry, not as light as Mamutu but still very good program, im currently using it with no problems yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.