Comodo Internet Security v7 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LagerX, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I guess I should have been more clear that the Statement from the Mod was from a few years ago, so certainly in no way current.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Overall, how are people using CIS finding this beta. I was having issues with CIS, so I uninstalled and install just the FW instead, which has been much less problematic. A lot less resources also.

I am kind of anxious to try the full suite again though. Maybe I'll wait for the next beta version.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

From my limited experience with CIS v7 beta running in an XP VM I'd say it's very stable. I'm not seeing CPU hogging or spiking, nor is it crashing or hanging the system. I'm not running any other security software with it. I originally installed just the v7 firewall along side Avast v9 Free, but Avast interfered with CFW update so I uninstalled Avast and added the Comodo AV component. Effectiveness is another matter. I don't "test" security software by throwing malware at it, etc. I'm only commenting on stability/compatibility.

4. smage

smage Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014
  5. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

How does web site filtering work? Does it rely on comodo secure dns? Will it block malicious and phishing sites if I change from comodo dns to some other? :doubt:

6. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

AFAIK it is independent of Secure DNS.

7. LAGOTA

LAGOTA Registered Member

comodo v7 beta have included web & url filtering & antiphising but these components are not effective , i have personally tested comodo v7 beta using about 1000 malicious & phising links from websites like malwareblacklist.com, malwaredomainlist.com, malc0dedatabase.com etc. etc. but the web filtering component in comodo v7 beta wasn't able to block a single malicious website out of those 1000 malicious websites & webpages & phising links , so comodo security team of experts really needs to work a lot lot harder to make the web filtering component much much better in the stable & upcoming versions because otherwise it is going to make a very very bad impression of the popular comodo series of products

8. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Having looked at the firewall (cfw_installer.exe), if you're currently running v6 without D+ there doesn't seem to be any need to go with v7. The look, feel and configuration of the v7 Firewall is, as far as I can tell, identical to v6.

The ability to copy/paste in the rules UI and IP resolving in the alerts/logs is still sorely lacking. But hey, it's free and does the job. :thumb:

9. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Web Filtering has a bug & doesn't works in Proactive Mode.

In default Internet Security Mode it works. A message "Comodo Internet Security Blocked this webpage" is shown in the browser.
    In my test Web Filtering blocked malicious/phishing websites but blocked screen was not shown, only websites didn't worked. I thought links were dead but they were actually blocked by WebFiltering that I came to know through CIS logs.

So may be its the same with your test. Check the logs.

WebFilter is not that powerful now as its new & first beta. This will improve with future betas.

10. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Actually if you create rules like in Internet Security Mode it will work.

11. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Yup, tested.

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Has anyone been able to get this to work with VPN/Remote desktop connection. I can connect to the VPN fine, but it doesn't see the computer I am trying to connect to. If I uninstall, I have no issues, so I know it is CIS causing the problem.

13. RamGuy

RamGuy Registered Member

How is Comodo Firewall compared to Comodo Anti-Virus and Comodo Internet Security (PRO)? As I'm only interested in the actual firewall portion I recon there is no real difference between the various versions for my intended use?

As matousec.com has rated Comodo as the top firewall for like a decade I'm very tempted to test it out and it being free makes it almost nonsensical if you ask me. But going through the Comodo forums it seems like running Comodo Firewall is like playing Russian roulette with the stability of ones system.. Could some one please collaborate on this? Is it as unstable as the various forums crank it up to be, and is it so damn difficult to get your configuration right making you scratch your head in pure frustration for a month in order to get everything set like many people tend to make us newbies like myself believe?

And most importantly how is the support for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2?

14. pintas

pintas Registered Member

V6 GUI was a huge disappointment for many, me included. A downgrade from the great v5.
    I hope there are serious UI improvements.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe the firewall component is the same regardless of whether you run it alone or with the AV (which turns it into CIS). I've used the firewall alone on XP and Windows 7 without problems, and I currently have the CIS v7 beta running fine on XP in a virtual machine. It has always been quite stable for me on these OSs - can't comment on Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 R2.

I think the more common issue with the firewall is getting bogged down in the complexity of the settings. v7 works quite well with default settings - D+ On and Sandbox Off. There are a few additional features I enable, such as "filter IPv6 traffic" and "enable anti-ARP spoofing", which don't cause me problems. I think there's a lot of benefit to using it without having to master every feature.

16. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Any ideas when this goes into a final release?

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They just released beta. Why people think they'll just release a final version in 1 week time!?

18. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

Here is some more info about VC (viruscope) from egemen:

http://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/is-vc-truly-innovative-t101790.0.html;msg739360#msg739360

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Reversing added/modified registry entries and dropped files is one thing, reversing modified files and restoring deleted data is another. Malware does that too you know. I still don't believe in their "magic" to solve all the problems like they make it sound. If there was, i'm pretty sure someone else would have thought of it by now (considering how many already did behavior analysis in the past).

20. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

No one is claiming to "solve all the problems"

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They seem to want make it sound that way. I have no doubts in the basics of the behavior blockers. I've been a huge fan of them for years and i'm awaiting eagerly for Viruscope to be fully operational. But between then and now, things have changed with certain things. Ransomware and cryptors didn't exist back then. And resolving these is not so easy.

22. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I can't use or open .chm file types with this Beta. What is your experience with this kind of files?

23. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

System snapshot/rollback utilities have done the same for a long time.Using a localised version of this makes sense in the context of malware removal.

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Remote Desktop Connection over vpn still doesn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.