Comodo Internet Security v7 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LagerX, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

2. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Im still currently using version 5 of Comodo firewall with D+ on one of my machines and i find this latest beta Firewall Only with Proactive Protection, much more refined than Version 6. Might make the change when fully released, however i did notice a couple of things that bug me or seem illogical, unless someone could clarify to me otherwise;

1- In general tasks tab, what does Scan do if i chose not to install the Antivirus? Also Quarantine, isn't that the reason for the sandbox?

2- Clean Endpoint in Advanced Tasks, Why have this if some users will choose to have the AV component of Comodo installed?

3- Im also confused with Website Filtering Section, particularly with Rules and Categories, this definitely could be simplified, im not understanding what im supposed to do here, Could Someone please clarify?

4- Lastly in general tasks, View Logs, there is a chart displaying all activities which is fine, but is it also showing Antivirus events when i don't have the antivirus installed?

I understand this an early beta. I must say im impressed regardless of these annoyances, on W7 64 bit Ram Disk IO is low and running great, looking forward to seeing how it evolves :thumb:

3. wasgij6

1. Without the antivirus installed a rating scan will be ran. A rating scan will scan your computer and check the files with comodo's cloud and add them to the trusted files list if they are found safe.
    http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-451-4711-Run-a-Rating-Scan.html

2. Clean endpoint launches comodo cleaning essentials which has more powerful detection and cleaning but can be prone to FPs, this is why its under advanced tasks

3. Website filtering is new in v7 and can be used as a content filter allowing parents to filter certain content or allow business users to restrict social media etc. It also can block malicious sites and phishing sites

4. Seems like a bug to me

4. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Thank you for your response,

In point 1, you say quote " ... add them to the trusted files list if they are found safe" is this the case regardless if i have unchecked automatically trust file vendors list and trusted installers?

Also point 3, So even though web filtering is checked, nothing gets filtered unless i add categories to specific user accounts or is there still basic web filtering still being applied? Seems to me default should be unchecked then if, nothing is listed.

Regards.

5. wasgij6

yes i believe they still will be added.

by default CIS will block phishing sites and malicious sites but there is a bug in the current beta with the proactiv config, there are no rules for the url filter but they can be easily created. It should be fixed in the next release.

The url filter rules are present in the internet security config however

6. wasgij6

yes i believe they still will be added.

by default CIS will block phishing sites and malicious sites but there is a bug in the current beta with the proactiv config, there are no rules for the url filter but they can be easily created. It should be fixed in the next release.

The url filter rules are present in the internet security config however

So i looked at the antivirus logs without the av installed. the logs will show items detected by the cloud av.

7. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Excellent, thank you very much. You have been very helpful.

Regards.

8. wasgij6

No problem glad I could help

9. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Anyone else experiencing slow download speeds, when trying to download the new beta installer?

10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah it was slow for me the first time I downloaded it. Then tried it later in the day and download quicker. Might be the servers are bogged down.

11. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Similar experience....thought it might have just been me. Second time (24 hours later) seem faster and never had any issues. :thumb: I like it!

12. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

After having a slow download speed on this one, I finally got it downloaded.

I'm testing it out now...I like it a lot so far.

13. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

is beta installing itself on existing one Comodo, or you have to uninstall first ?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  14. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Clean installation is advised.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I seem to remember that it was possible to add the AV component after the firewall was installed? Can that be done with this v7?

Edit: I found the "add and remove components" shortcut in the Comodo Start Menu folder.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

18. siketa

siketa Registered Member

But they never said that it works properly after that...
    ;)

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's been a historical incompatibility between CIS and Virtualbox that I don't think has ever been resolved.

As I said I have v7 beta running now in XP using VirtualBox and I'm not seeing any problems. Can you be specific about what is incompatible?

20. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Some part of Defense+, if I remember correctly...

21. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Version 6.3 of CIS and CF works without flaw in VirtualBox.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

My point is you stated this version was incompatible with VirtualBox, but apparently that was not based on experience but on what you remember from a previous version. It would be more "on topic" if you could demonstrate that this is a problem with the v7 beta.

23. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

There was an issue with Comodo up to version 5, long since resolved. The real problem was one of the Mods on the Comodo Forum (Egemen, I believe) subsequent to these issues suggested that CIS not be used in VirtualBox.

But as a number of years has past since then, and as Victek has aptly pointed out no one can substantiate any incompatibility claims, I hope that this can finally be put to rest. (as with all other Urban Legends).

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, let's at least not assume that the incompatibility is still there. I haven't tested v7 in VirtualBox extensively so I'm not saying that it definitely IS compatible. Let's test it and see.

25. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Besides being a moderator he is a project lead for CIS, so probably he has some idea about it :)

However as you guys have already said it doesn't mean CIS 7 is compatible /incompatible with Virtualbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.