COMODO Internet Security/Antivirus/Firewall 8.0.0.4337 is released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IvoShoen, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

No, I'm not suggesting you check it. If I understand correctly enabling "create rules for safe applications" would cause the HIPS to alert on known good applications; I thought it might be the cause of the problem you had with the browsers, but apparently not.

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Hi Stephen- Glad I checked in today. I haven't heard any reports of any sort of system freeze after installing CF8, assuming the preferred upgrade method is used (uninstall 7, install 8, don't import anything from previous version). I also tried switching from Firewall Security to Proactive Security on a number of systems without any issue.

My advice (as if you haven't done so already!) would be to wipe out the old and reinstall the new. I am happy that you are going with the Firewall alone and not CIS (as Comodo AV is wretched). And, oh yeah, stay away from the Proactive Security setting.

Other setting suggestions:
    1). Enable sandbox
    2). go into sandbox settings and edit the top "Run Virtually" listing- change from "Internet" to "Any".
    3). In the Firewall Settings page, uncheck the "Do Not show popup alerts" listing. It is curious that in this version with this setting checked you don't get outbound alerts even if Custom Mode is being used.
    4). Disable the HIPS module. They have really made it really sensitive (annoying) in this version, and it is only useful if the sandbox is disabled (Comodo intimated this, as default configuration has HIPS enabled and sandbox disabled).
    5). I also have unchecked the "Do Not Virtualize acess to" listing in Sandbox settings. It almost gave me a coronary once before- never again.

3. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

thanks sis! Your help is always appreciated. I did do a fresh install of 8 but I will double check my settings compared to steps 4 and 5 you outlined.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Someone used PowerTool V 4.5 with CIS 8 ? Never had problems with the previous CIS versions, but with this PowerTool makes BSOD :eek:

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

2014-11-25_082309.png CFW is sandboxing its own files...:confused:

6. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

The file is required to run for CIS to properly sandbox files. This is normal behavior

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Oh, dear Joe.....:rolleyes:

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, but I was speaking of my own experience. I think CIS is probably one of the most advanced HIPS, but the usability is the problem. I'm also not happy with tools like Online Armor and SpyShelter because of various reasons. Perhaps I'm a bit too picky.

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Oups,my bad...:argh::eek:

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Yes, but the HIPS is disabled by default and replaced by Sandbox, BB, etc.
    You'll have to disable those and enable Defense+ to have the old hard core CIS back.

11. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

I would like to have a firewall that didn't use .Net and had a sandbox without AV or HIPS could it be set up that way?

It looks like my cpu 'may' allow for svm not really sure though AMD FX 8120 but the AMD site says that is for Windows 8 not 7.

Really would hate to end up stuck in some battle between my existing set up and something new like this as I've seen that happen before. I could call it nightmare Thanksgiving 2014, I have the past disasters nicknamed as well. In the past it has ended up in a loading the OS new from scratch again.

12. @AutoCascade
    When you are on Windows7, give Tinywall a try: simply using Windows Firewall with a very restrictive setup. Once out of learning you can set it to block. There is a thread in the firewall section.

It does not have a sandbox, but why would you allow untrusted programs at all: when you try out programs the best to use is a Virtual Machine like application. You can block program downloads in your browser with a simple ON/OFF switch using reg-files to change a security policy setting in Windows. Simply switch from Block to Warn, Download a program, Remove the block as shown on the picture, Switch from Warn to Block again.

Save this file as BLOCK_DOWNLOADS.reg (explicitly with REG extension, without start/end markers)
    --- start
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]
    "1806"=dword:00000003

--- end

Save this file as WARN_FOR_DOWNLOADS.reg (explicitly with REG extension, without start/end markers)
    --- start
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]
    "1806"=dword:00000001

--- end

Regards Kees

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  13. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

I download Comodo Firewall 8. It wouldn't install. The install popup sat there for 20 minutes. Revo Unistaller said the program wasn't installed so I couldn't use that to uninstall. Likewise it wasn't in Programs and Features either but there were folders in different areas. It did fully load Geek buddies or whatever and Dragon.

What a mess. I reloaded windows. I need to get a good imaging program to take a snapshot.

Firewalls for whatever reason have been a source of aggravation for me over the years.

Voodoo Shield has a sandbox but it doesn't make it available all the time and I don't know how to activate it when I want to use it.

14. Rasheed187

I don't know anything about that, but what I'm saying is that I didn't like the HIPS (too chatty), and I prefer Sandboxie when it comes to sandboxes.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Comodo Internet Security 8.0.0.4344 Final is available through the internal updater.

16. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Installed just the firewall. Switched to Proactive, activated Hips and selected Clean PC mode, firewall set at Safe mode and activated auto sandbox. So far no problems running with Sandboxie. Not running an A/V. Comodo firewall is running nice and light just to add. :thumb: (but will keep monitoring :cool:)

17. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I enabled HIPS for a bit and had over 2k windows files sent there. 0_0

18. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Keeping the Sandbox settings as I'm learning more about it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

20. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

What exactly is so advanced about Comodo`s HIPS compared to any other ones ?

Regards Eck:)

21. Behold Eck

Nice review and they`re going to get 4.5 when they get the HIPS smarter/quieter.:cool:

Begs the question what`s it going to take to get 5 out of 5 ?:rolleyes:

22. Rasheed187

It has more options and is more aggressive when it comes to monitoring/blocking, which isn't automatically a good thing. To give an example, I'm currently running SpyShelter which is also quite advanced, but I have disabled certain filters because it's sometimes too hard to make decisions about certain stuff, so you might as well stop monitoring it at all.

23. Behold Eck

I see what you mean but I`ve used CFW v.7 and the alerts weren`t too numerous but I think a "smart" aggressive HIPS would be a good thing so that you`re not answering the same question again and again.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

A HIPS can only be automated up to a point. If the goal is full automation then I think a Behavior Blocker is the better approach. The HIPS in Comodo FW remembers user selections so that it doesn't ask the same question twice. In my experience the HIPS mostly produces pop-ups (permission requests) when programs are installed/uninstalled. When you get a pop-up you can also designate the process as trusted in a number of ways eg allowed application, installer/updater, etc, which stops further pop-ups. I think that's about as good as a HIPS can be given that it already has a white-list of trusted vendors. The reviewer at PCMag is a strong believer in fully automated security software because many users cannot deal properly with security questions, and he's right. Of course the firewall can be used with the HIPS turned off.

25. Rasheed187

The last time I checked, I got a lot of dumb alerts about Windows system processes, and the only way to fix it was by having to trust almost every app, and I'm not into "trusted vendors". I also got strange CPU spikes caused by Comodo which was blocking incoming traffic. I don't know the details anymore, but all in all, it was a bad experience. But I guess my standards are pretty high when it comes to HIPS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.