COMODO Internet Security 5.3.174622.1216 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Why ? because Kaspersky and Norton have never claimed to be in the charity business. They position is clear.. their are in this to make money. PERIOD!

Commode on the other hand, are CONSTANTLY saying how bad it is that the AV-industry is charging customers for protection.. I mean it is constant!! Check this link...http://www.melih.com/2010/12/23/ant...tecting-criminals-not-anymore-thanks-to-dacs/ they can rant and rant and rant about how evil the whold AV industry is. I have never seen such a blog from a CEO of ANY company. I mean this guy has truly lost it.

And yet here they are SELLING A PRODUCT!

2. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

After having used their product, I can confidently say it is crap. It FPs on just about everything. I dont know how any average user can ever use such a product. I would NEVER recommend this product even anyone, as it can seriously damage your machine.

- it prompts to block critical network traffic.. possibly rendering your internet connection of file sharing useless
    - it blocks or prompts you to block installers, thereby breaking them to the point that you can neither install that software or uninstall the partially installed software.

CIS is a scam.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Have you ever used Firewalls or HIPS before? Looks like Comodo is doing its job to me.

4. smage

smage Registered Member

Hahaha, it seems that some newbies are finding CIS too difficult to handle :rolleyes:

I recommend they switch to Mcafee, it is easy to use.lol

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

i have tons of apps installed (add/remove programs shows it as 140). I can say that, i got 5-10 pop-ups during very first day after installation in my laptop.

Even i can say that i get more pop-ups from Avast AV from time to time usage.

One should understand how to use CIS/CFW during installation. When installing any app if it is unrecognized by Comodo it gets sandboxed. You just need to do two simple steps
    1) Click on "do not sandbox" link on the pop-up when the app gets sandboxed
    2) Restart the installation.

Exception to Above usage -
    If you are unsure about the installation (which would be very weird/rare case) then -
    1) see the verdict of the sandboxed app in Active Process List (Sandboxed Only) window - (unrecognized/suspicious/virus)
    2) Pay attention to the pop-up it made
    Based on the above judge yourself. If the above verdict is virus, it automatically asks you to quarantine the application.

Even if any virus is deliberately run, it gets sandboxed and it is highly improbable to get infected [Except the rogue TVL Issue, which is also very rare, Comodo fixes it within a day or so AND any vulnerabilities (this purely depends on the type of vulnerability and level of tweaking applied)]

If it is very difficult to understand usage of CIS/CFW, then the way to go is opt out from Classical HIPS model...This is what i think. Please don't mind me if i wrote sth mistake.

Thanks,
    Harsha.

6. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

LOL...you're definitely a newbie,and you claim that you'd never recommend this product?I wonder why....:D
    Stay away from HIPS software.Just use an AV and a simple FW and you'll be fine.But remember,if you don't know how to use a HIPS security program doesn't entitle you to say it's a crap.And stop writing hearsay things.

7. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Same sentiments here. I believe you haven't had any experience with HIPS, Firewall (combination)..System Anomaly Detection and the like..BTW what firewall you using...?

8. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

I think you guys are missing the point. The users on this forum are a minority, a very very very small minority and while they might be able to use such a product, the 99.9999% of customers that Commode is trying to sell to, will not.

I mean, it has ridiculous alerts like "Process X is trying to INJECT into process Y". What does Aunt Gertrude know about INJECT ? Melih and company is a joke, they dont even understand their own customers.

Heck, I am betting 90% of the folks on this forum couldn't tell you more than 2 ways to inject code into another process.

Personally, while I can certainly deal with the technical aspects of the product, I think as a security product, its pretty useless, having almost ZERO intelligence, asking the user for everything. I might as well write a kernel-mode driver that registers for the PsSetLoadImageNotifyRoutine and prompt the user on EVERY SINGLE IMAGE LOAD.

"Kernel32.dll" is about to load. Allow/Block ?"
    "SysWOW64.dll is about to load. Allow/Block ?"
    "ntdll.dll is about to load. Allow/Block ?"
    "Suspicious driver ntfs.sys is about to load. Allow/Block ?" Ok I made that last one up :)

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Comodo has a huge whitelist of safe files, making it far from unintelligent.

10. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

From what I've seen, I'm under the impression that Comodo is NOT aimed to the masses [ a.k.a. your Aunt Gertrudis]. It's meant for people with some computer knowledge that want to make informed decisions based on the alerts shown by a classical HIPS [ Host based Intrusion Prevention System]. That's why its channels of distribution are Wilders [although, it's not so welcome in this forum from what I can gather], DSL Reports, Gizmos, etc. to name a few.

Furthermore, it's a very small and relatively unknown company [ at least unknown to the average Aunt Gertrudis] that doesn't have a market share as big as Symantec or McAfee that can bundle their software as a 90-day trial on every PC/laptop sold here in the USA.

Even though being a small company, they give away a whole security suite for free [software Firewall, AV, HIPS]. Avast!, Avira and AVG give away for free the AV part of the suite but not the entire suite.

I mean, because you or somebody else might have problems trying to understand the cryptic verbiage of a classic HIPS, that doesn't mean that what they give away is just garbage because you say so. Some people are so lazy. I mean, you write [sarcastically] , “Kernell32.dll is about to load” : Add/Block ?...You could take a few seconds of your time and do a GOOGLE SEARCH and come up with results that would explain to you what “Kernell32.dll” means and what it's supposed to do. Also, remember that sometimes, malware can disguise itself by injecting its process onto a legitimate Windows process and that “Kernell32.dll” might not be Windows but malware trying to phone home under a legitimate process name. Anyone remember svchost or csrss.exe ?

I'm not a computer expert or anything like that. Far from it. But I installed the firewall part of that suite on my PC running Win 7 Pro and I have more than 60 programs installed on that PC and the ONLY alerts D+ [ HIPS component of the firewall] gave me were related to DKservice [corresponding to Diskeeper 2010 which I run on my PC to keep the HDD defragmented] and an alert when I installed WinRar 4.0 beta 7 on top of my current WinRar installation v3.93. That last one partly because WinRar installer is NOT digitally signed !!!!!! [ ? ]. Other than those two, I haven't seen any cryptic alert by D+ on my machine.

People are different, and not everybody is going to like everything. I've noticed that the majority of people here that hate Comodo to death do so because they can't stand Melih's attitude which some here brand as arrogant. To that, I've got to say that I do not know that man in person and I really do not pay attention to his arrogance, if any. I do not lower myself to his level because I would be practicing the same things I'm criticizing if that is the case because, again, I do not know that man and I do not read “The National Enquirer” to be up to date in gossiping.

What people shouldn't be doing is being ungrateful when they do not pay a dime and get FW/AV/HIPS for free. I'm not by any means saying this combination is the best out there but at least, you don't have to shed any money to get it. And, if you tried Comodo and did not like it, there is PLENTY of INTERNET SECURITY SUITES,single AVs, software Firewalls and HIPS [ PAID ones and FREE ONES] so dump Comodo, pick another one you'd like and...LIVE and let LIVE.

Regards,

Carlos

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1
    Nice

12. albsat

albsat Registered Member

What do you thing about this combo CIS (without antivirus) plus Avast free? Is it better to use this combo or keep CIS antivirus module?

13. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

I use CFW along with NOD32/Avast AV.
    I think it would give much more signature based protection as i would get Comodo Cloud AV on execution plus signatures of NOD32/Avast.

b/W Eagerly awaiting for NOD32 v5 release.

14. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Nice one. :)

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I can say the same - that you're the one who's missing the point. 1st of all, it's Comodo...not Commode. 2ndly, I am of the opinion that the major market that Comodo is trying to 'sell' to are the businesses and enterprise. Home users are not excluded and can definitely purchase a license to their paid version of their products but I don't think that is where their largest pool of customers come from since most home users would use their free products (and that is the aim...to enlarge their free users market so that they can build upon the brand name) 3rdly, you are right that most wouldn't be able to use a classical HIPS product 'out-of-the-box' and that is the reason why you see them including features like TVL (Trusted Vendor List), Cloud based Antivirus scanning, AutoSandbox technology, etc etc in order to integrate a slightly more automated kind of solution while trying to achieve a lower amount of prompts for the end-user. Does that mean they've achieved usability for the masses? To a certain degree - yes, provided you leave things as it is in the default settings. (and at the cost of "reduced" protection from what one can achieve with higher settings with higher degree of control) However, I wouldn't say so myself that it means they're 100% successful or that they've hit the jackpot and found the right/perfect 'recipe'...there are quite a few more things that they need to work out, find that 'sweet spot' for the masses, etc while retaining the best of both worlds as much as possible. (usability/convenience vs security which as usual involves trade-offs) If you actually read the forums (either here or on theirs itself), you'll find that quite a number of their users disagree on their current default settings (or overall implementation), each having their own likes/dislikes for certain features. It's hard to please the crowd....

Most people won't know since it stems from being a classical HIPS product and by nature, is meant to PROMPT the user for such actions.

Going with that logic, it's fair enough to call the alerts 'ridiculous' since it involves too much user-interaction and for most folks, that's as good as a path to failure. While Melih and his company may seem like a 'joke' to some individuals (and that is fine since we all have judge people differently), I personally wouldn't say they're not trying to understand their customers. To the contrary, I think they are trying, even though at the cost of having sarcastic remarks or backlashes by some folks who largely disagree with the 'automated path' Comodo seems to be heading....

The intelligence is there, in the form of added features I mentioned above that it brought into what solely started out as a Firewall+HIPS product, albeit not as 'polish' or as 'silent' as some users find comfort with. And it doesn't ask the user for everything unless you set it to (or you're using the older versions)

Nevertheless, I would like to see them improve further upon it...

P.S. Disclaimer: I'm not a Comodo fanboy. I do find fault with certain things they do or say....and have had bad experiences with some of their programs. I just despise FUD and get tired of seeing constant, repeated bashing with lack of constructive criticism or suggestions...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  17. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

If it's true that you can handle technical aspects,you should know that CIS asks user for about everything only in Paranoid mode,and not by default.But it seems you didn't know that,so this shows one more time that you really don't know how to use Comodo's HIPS (or whatever),or you didn't even try it.

Nice response too Safeguy.

18. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

@qakbot;

Might we know what firewall are you using...? Or what set-up do you have for security apps...? While Comodo is not an "install and leave" program, using it will teach you how it operates. As much as any other security app, say, AV for that matter, it's on the user to investigate/check when you have a pop-up or warning to determine if this is an FP or not.

How will you know if a process is legit or not if you will not check it?

It nice to know that Comodo is doing it's job alerting you about it (or for whatever firewall you are using --surely you have had some share of pop-up alerts...wonder how you deal with it with your preferred firewall or security app for that matter..)

A lot of firewalls throws pop-ups(well at least some)...the average user will not know what the pop-up means does not investigate it. The pop-up do entails some advice/info that you can investigate/start with so why not simply check it.

Very very nice explanations here(great work guys!) I've read and by the looks of it you may have tried it but after a day or two did not a give rat's ass of checking what the pop-ups where and just dumped it. Went back to your "preferred" firewall/set-up. (I guess the guys here would love to know what app/set-up you have and have a word about it...)

While Comodo may have his bad days (well documented here at Wilders) it's unfair that you judge it that way. You imho have missed the point. Actually version 5.3 is better/lighter.

Just my two cents here.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Some good points here!
    Specially yours that many people judge Comodo with their previous experiences (Ver 3, 4)
    I remember version 3 in paranoid was EXTREMELY annoying even for my standards :D (And i'm a Classical HIPS "fanboy" :D)

20. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I remember paranoid mode well :D, it was the only setting I used for both Firewall and Defense+. I let V5 handle almost everything for me now, I have a few settings customized to my liking, stuff like cloud scanning, and sandboxing turned off. It's really set-it-and-forget-it at this point.

21. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Yeah..ver3:thumbd: was annoying that I move to OA free back then. Now ver5.3 is by far better/lighter on both XP/Windows 7 x32 and x64. :)

22. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

I just returned from a more than 6 month trip from Maverick Ubuntu 10.10 (Linux) were you don't need an AV! Went back to Windows as it's less complicated and reinstalling my pc over evry six months annoys me although Windows has its +'s and -'s. I previously had CIS 5 and it is a fantastic piece of software. I took off Norton NIS and installed CIS 5 and put it to the highest security standings (like sandbox untrusted). Well, I start Winword.exe, it's getting sandboxed. Unusable. Whyo_O Simply put the process when you open it (go in Defense plus, trusted files) to a trusted one and voilà! You got a video page on MSN video that won't loado_O Hey, guys, simply put the firewall in "training mode" and reload the page! Et voilà!!! Be sure to put it back to "Secure mode" after. I don't regret an inch my choice of CIS Comodo and wish the Company goes along.
    N.B.: Of course, it's a price to pay to get "that" quality of "protection" with CIS 5. I mean, you're protected at least, it's the main goal to protect the pc! I really feel like it seems that Comodo protects everything on my PC. If I ever get infected, it will be my own fault!!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  23. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Gdiloren,

That's exactly what I did! I was having problems on Ubuntu 10.10 with my wireless adapter, so I said screw it and went back to Windows for a little bit. Uninstalled Norton, installed Avast! 6 and COMODO. Right now I'm waiting on 11.04 to be released, I'm not a HUGE fan of Unity so I might slap Gnome 3 on there and see what happens.

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You could've just stayed with the Lucid Lynx LTS which still will be supported for more than 2 years.

25. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

Hey Guys,
    I liked Ubuntu 10.10, as for security it is near 100% with their UFW firewall well setted and clamav up-to-date for Win viruses for windows nostalgic. I could run everything I runned on Win 7 but it's more "geeky". Really, if you don't install "dual-boot" with Windows, it overwrites Windows and I could not figure it out how to reinstall Windows back and it costed me $112.00 at Staples to say the most (fortunately, I had the recovery disks for them). And I qualify me as an advanced user expert in computers, so to say. I went out to try Natty 11.04 alpha 3 but it's a bit more like 10.10 and it screwed up the computer because the hardware wasn't yet supported and I did not a clean install. Still the Internet world is for Win 7 and Vista and if you want it to be "universal" (to see all sites) don't go Linux. But most sites are being Linux supported. Windows is still the easy way, I'm using it since 1995, it's in my blood and I don't like to be amputated with Linux even if I can get 100% sure or so I'll never get infected with a virus. (I mean you buy a printer, the CD doesn't work on Linux OS, you have to download from site, often you loose some functionnality etc...). Anyway, happy others had a chance to enjoy Linux too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.