COMODO Internet Security 4.0.135239.742 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Watasha, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Sometimes security companies do not share known issues with their users. But Comodo is a brand name and they should take every step with caution. This time they have done blunder with their product. Even many Beta users complaint about known flaws but i guess everything goes unheard, which results this blunder.

2. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Toobys said:

"It's one thing for a Rogue throwing a GUI in your face and doing nothing that causes system malfunction (What Comodo thought first), It's another when the Rogue throws a GUI in your face, and ACTUALLY causes system issues (What Comodo have realized now with a certain Rogue or 2)."

If the little Java Script fake scan was the extent of the harm Rogue applications were able to do to a machine:
    1: they could be blocked by nothing other than disable Java script,
    2. Rogue buster such as Malwarebytes would not be so in vogue.

Melihs "rogue(petit)-vs-ROGUE(Maha)", was disingenuous to say the least. .

Since I am not going to download and execute any of this filth,
    The "turkey" scan,and a locked up browser is the worst Rogues can do to me.
    Disabling Java Script blocks that.

If Comodo 4 is in in fact "every-mans solution" it will need to handle Rogues a hell of a lot better.

Some folks will download them,and execute them,and pay to
    have their systems "cleaned".
    They will also recieve the incidental payload of Trojans,Trojan droppers,etc,included.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
  3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Brocke, I already thought that the security issue compromised the system, reading the previous posts I thing again. I say: the CIS autoprotection shouldn't neutralize the rogue bypassing the sandbox ?

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

it did bypass they are now looking into correcting the issue now.

5. smage

smage Registered Member

I think that people should not overreact to the fact that the sandbox has been bypassed by a rogue or rogues. It's good that it has been reported and hopefully it will be fixed soon. Though Comodo took some time to recognise that a problem existed, it has finally been able to reproduce the bug.

Remember it is Comodo's first attempt with sandbox, avast's first attempt was not a success either!

See this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr8bIii1G7U

Fortunately, they now have a better sandbox.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'm a little confused about how that guy argues... yes, of course they get onto your PC. That's not what the sandbox is supposed to stop (as far as I know), it's supposed to stop the actions. :doubt: I closed the video after he argued that way when looking at the MBAM results. :ouch: :cautious:

8. AvinashR

Even i haven't saw that video...I just read the comment where LanGuy is trying say that "the sandbox basically limits the malware from being able to modify anything on the system. It cannot change the registry, modify or add files or anything. What I think happens is that the program stays in ram, and it's gone when you restart. "....

Its all Crap....Even i have tested its sandbox and i have found something else...

9. smage

smage Registered Member

10. raven211

11. smage

smage Registered Member

I think the guy meant that if the same test was done using SandboxIE, if when we emptied the sandbox and ran a MBAM scan, it should find nothing.

Just my guess, not sure.

12. AvinashR

Hey Hey, My mistake...But LanGuy's video is something opposite to my experience.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is a good test people even if comodo is the most hated software here it is improving it defenses:D it is getting better despite the rougish looking:)

14. raven211

Don't worry about it. No offense taken or anything. :D

15. AvinashR

Thank You your highness. By the way anybody knows when Comodo is going to launch its updated (aka Final) release?

16. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Then Comodo should of kept their software in Beta for longer.

17. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I've been testing it out and the sandbox definitely has some issues. The FW, AV and D+ seem the same as their previous version 3.14 Less popups using FW and D+ in safe mode than before, so their whitelist has grown. When some programs went into the sandbox they didn't work correctly. I needed to manually add these files to My Own Safe files. The information in the help files looks great on paper but not sure if it's working correctly.

I think they are moving in the right direction but still have a way to go.

Ice

18. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I may just live in the Twilight Zone here but I seem to remember when Avast 5 came out the Avast forums exploded with users that HATED it. These same users also hated the AIS which has failed miserably in many tests. Avira users went crazy about the update problems recently (I could go on). The point is that every company has these problems it just seems like Comodo is under a microscope. Every forum has a "what the heck is Comodo doing?" section it seems. I don't necessary disagree with what many of you are saying but we should all remember this when the next big thing comes out. Btw, Avast is now "God's gift" to AV's, Avira apparently fixed the update bug and so on....Comodo will be fine. Every major release is annoying.;)

19. burebista

burebista Registered Member

From egemen:

20. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Watasha

Ordinarily I would agree with your last post, but, Comodo has a history of not listening and bringing to the market products too quickly.
    There are many companies, some named in your last post that quietly beaver away and occasionally getting it wrong. The main thing that links these companies is that there is generally an orderliness to the way in which they work.

Comodo is an enigma, its all over the place, reflecting the volatility and unpredictability of its CEO, Melih. Comodo is free so effectively the proposition implicit in Melih's attitude is "Take it or leave it"

If people were paying for Comodo's products I am sure there would be less tolerance for the "antics" that ocurr. Despite all the hype about Comodo's long list of products, just how many are "best of breed". The A/Virus component after a number of years development still falls short of its peers.

Terry

21. sded

sded Registered Member

One difference that I see is that Comodo released their product even with a known large backlog of issues and lots of recommendations by their testers that it was not ready yet. They also threw in some major bug fixes with no further beta testing, many of which didn't seem to work out. And a lot of their users seem to characterize the current state of 4 as a slightly broken 3 plus an undesirable sandbox that doesn't quite work. Their software practices just make some of those who have done it for a living roll their eyes. Ask about the Death Spiral of Bugzilla, for example. Others seem perfectly happy with it, but they are not as vocal.
    As far as Avast! is concerned, the preponderance of the beta testers (including me) felt that avast! had reached diminishing returns for the diversity of the beta testers that they had so far, and that a first release was necessary to pull in those who don't generally show up for beta testing.and may have different configurations to deal with. I might have staggered the release of Pro and AIS, since they really got a lot less testing than free, but otherwise seemed reasonable. For the remaining issues, the Alwil staff seems to be taking a very proactive approach to the updates, with lots of interactions and requests for data, as well as trying to keep the users informed. Don't know whether users feel that way about Comodo; too much bluster to tell. As far as AIS, Alwil has always said they do not have a Conventional HIPS at all, don't sell a standalone firewall/HIPS at all, so are not aiming for the narrow type of testing done by standalone leak tests. Particularly by those that sort the tests into levels and stop evaluating as soon as you arbitrarily fail one of their arbitrary levels. So Alwil can brag instead about the 4.5 stars for the firewall they got from PC Magazine in the Suite tests as a suite element. What did Comodo get? Who has more readers in the real world (outside of forums ;) ).

22. Watasha

I don't believe anybody is very worried about Alwil's firewall. That being said, my biggest problem with Comodo is exactly the opposite of what many people think the problem may be. Many people think the Comodo devs and Melih don't listen to users, I on the other hand think that in many cases they might listen too much! They don't concentrate on one thing for long enough because someone else has a complaint and they jump to that one, they don't finish a new application because the next user has a new app that he wants implemented. Does this make sense? This would explain alot of the "half fixes". Comodo users are very vocal, non-users are very vocal about Comodo. I appreciate y'alls viewpoint and it is valuable. CIS is free and yet it is just as capable IMO as the suites you must pay for. This, in my mind, means that SOMEONE at Comodo is doing SOMETHING right. :D

23. sded

sded Registered Member

Melih claimed to have ~400 developers at one time. If they are even slightly organized instead of trampling themselves, seems like things should be going a lt better. For those who have ever built large software systems, think about the issues of harnessing the masses to do these jobs efficiently and what you could do with a very small fraction of that. But since Melih uses this for advertising and self aggrandization, it doesn't need to be efficient. There was a large backlog of serious issues when I stopped using Comodo, It looks like more have been added than subtracted since then in order to add "gee-whiz" stuff. And I seem to notice an increased hostility by the mods to criticism. Even a new rule about "thread poisoning" LOL. I think Comodo did something right in the CFP3 upgrade, but lost the thread pretty quickly and is living off the residue-they were ~first to market with a good firewall/HIPS for Vista. And I don't give a rats ass about their being free-the aggro is more than I would tolerate. But if the atmosphere suits you, have fun-the product is still OK if you change some of the newer default stuff and turn other things off.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  24. Watasha

Believe me, if the mods were that hostile or aggressive about criticism, I would've been banned a long time ago.:D

25. sded

sded Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.