Comodo Internet Security 2013?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ahinterl, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do we know if/when Comodo plans to push v6 through auto-update? Manually running the updater says v5 is "up to date".

2. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

yes they will push internal updates with the first bug fix release which should be this month sometime.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Haven't used CIS in a long time, i really loved their suite but back then it was not an option for me and now i have already settled with EAM. :D

4. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

Hey Noob
    could you give me a screenshot of your Task Manager
    so that i can see how much RAM and CPU Emsisoft IS use on average/idle?

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

There you go.
    Keep in mind that i have it set to "On Access" scanning mode and also that it is no always as low as shown, when i open lots of things at once it goes up to like 85MB and then drops back after a while. :D
    [​IMG]

6. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

same here , well ill then wait for the autoupdater , since that should retain my settings and everything should work then :mad: , really wanna embrace the new version but having had my first bad experience with cis im gona wait and see

hope they get the high cpu usage fixed as well , dont know if its the behaviour blocker doing it or what but it does , running comodo fw and D+ i dont have that issue in combo with eset32 AV with everything enabled, my subscription for webroot expired after testing for a couple months recently, so i decided to go with eset32 AV , light , rock solid , dependable , what else you need , thou as said i dream of the day all we need will be in CIS for free so i can trash eset32 as well

and good to hear active connections view is in CIS 6, couldnt find it thou nor firewall events either, its like theyre trying to hide the most used features ,i really hope they dont go backwards instead of forwards with CIS 6

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

71 processes?!... oh, the horror!

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

No high cpu usage here.Ive never experienced any problems with comodo.Its also nice to have smooth browsing back as well.Comodo seems to be the only suite that has not slowed down my browser.:D

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats because they don't scan the browser traffic. Almost everyone else do...

10. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

@ RejZoR

Hope to see you back on Comodo forum again.
    Personally i found your bug reports very worhwhile ;)

11. The Red Moon

Is there any particular reason why they dont scan the web traffic.?
    Maybe it is something they may consider in future releases.:D

12. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

No, COMODO considers web traffic scanning excessive.

13. The Red Moon

Ok i can see their point of view there.Although it is the first point of malware attack within the browser.

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Their point of view is perfectly reasonable, if you think that D+ is active. See this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=720580&postcount=29

Then think about what D+ protects against. So why slow down browsing, when they have D+ waiting behind the antivirus to grab whatever passes, in the already unlikely event, that whatever passes is a browser exploit, that, doesn't trigger the file scanner of the AV .

15. The Red Moon

Thank you for the link,it was very interesting reading.I have the hips disabled and BB on set to fully virtualise.Do you recommend turning on the hips or leave it as is as i followed chirons guide to setting up comodo.
    Thanks.

16. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Personally, I would not recommand to turn it on unless you want to reply to many alerts from it .. I have default settings and it works perfectly well since first beta came out.

17. Fuzzfas

I haven't used Comodo 6, but i 've read it has a fully virtualized sandbox. Well, Chiron knows his Comodo and i think the only possible danger, would be if there is a flaw on the sandbox that would allow for a malware to leak out of the sandbox. Otherwise, as long as the sandbox works flawlessly, there is no reason of concern.

18. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Unless you have the TVL list modified or deleted or have the hips in paranoid mode, I would turn on the HIPS. You will get a few alerts but shouldn't get too many. D+ is a important and strong part of CIS.

19. Fuzzfas

As i said, i haven't used v6 (history has shown, that when Comodo puts new features, you 'd better wait for the bugs to be fixed before using it), but if there is still the option to have "Clean PC mode", that shouldn't cause too many popups and combined with the new sandbox, it will be ridiculously difficult to be able to infect yourself. Of course it's more of a paranoid setup, but if one is paranoid anyway and wants to use yet another security program, he may as well use D+ and leave the 3rd party program alone. Less compatibility issues.

Classical HIPS do have their charm, despite being annoying and they are more "concrete" in handling. I mean, when you use virtualization, you don't know what's happening. When you have a classical HIPS running, if something malicious happens while you surf for example, chances are you are going to see the "event" before your eyes, because of the popups.

20. kjdemuth

Yes if your just looking for a unobtrusive and quite setup then you might not want to turn on the HIPS.
    I would much rather use the HIPS in concern for non-browser malware. USB, email attachments, DVD's.
    My feeling is that if you have such a powerful tool as D+, why not use it?
    I've been using Comodo firewall for a while with D+ active. They only time I've had a problem is installing new software that wasn't white listed. Other than that D+ doesn't chime in unless there is a problem.

21. Fuzzfas

Yes, i don't know how v6 is structured, but yeah, non-browser items are an issue. Or do they get virtualized also? I don't know. Fact is, if one has a basic understanding of D+ and doesn't mind the pop ups, it's better have it than not. D+ is powerful and has the advantage of warning you more explicitly.

22. kjdemuth

:thumb: Exactly. ;)

23. The Red Moon

Thanks everyone for the useful advice.:thumb:

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahahaha thats why i said . . . Messed up desktop!
    I have lots of software installed that i dont even use but i need them in some rare cases and a handful of them start processes/services automatically. (Yes, i know i can disable them but my desktop isn't really my main "Secure" rig, it's just for my daily activities such as browsing, gaming, homework etc.)

25. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Is D+ the same as HIPS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.