Comodo Internet Security 2013?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ahinterl, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahinterl

ahinterl Registered Member

Can someone pls. enlighten me: CIS 2013 (=v6) looks pretty secure and a good product, but:

a) do I need to assume that it's not as secure as Kaspersky's security suite because it's not as matured yet

b) how comes Comodo can give away such a suite for free and Kaspersky and others charge a reasonable amount for theirs? Does this mean CIS is slower in development and "weaker" overall?

Andreas

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No both a good products even if it's a long time since I used any of them, though the features differ between them.

Comodo is in the CA business wich is a big reason why they are able to give CIS away for free.

3. Sher

Sher Registered Member

It's a great product to use. Rock solid. Top-notch protection.

4. spywar

spywar Registered Member

1. Good Product
    2. Sandboxing technology (sandboxed browser, Virtual Kiosk, Autosandboxing of unknown apps)
    3. Cloud
    4. CCE integrated (need to be downloaded but quite fast ...)
    I'm sure, I missed stuffs but anyway, to reply to the thread, no Comodo is not worse regarding developpment than Kaspersky, they are both good, and as SweX mentioned "Comodo is in the CA business wich is a big reason why they are able to give CIS away for free.".

5. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

He speaks the truth! :thumb:

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I agree 100% and its free.:thumb:

7. ahinterl

ahinterl Registered Member

Thank you all for your input. I tested KIS the full free period, now replaced it by CIS. CIS is for free and on par with KIS, so my choice is clear ;).

Andreas

8. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

AFAIK KIS (and many other AVs) can disinfect infected files if possible (i.e. removes malicious code) and CIS just deletes them. Though I have never encountered any inconvenience in this regard.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Kaspersky will certainly work better on already infected systems as it's file disinfection is very strong. However as far as infection prevention goes on a fresh system, my bets are on Comodo really. While Kaspersky is ultra strong indeed, it doesn't have the reinforcement of the Comodo where you can really behave like a complete **** and you still won't be able to infect the system.
    Using Sandbox set to "Limited" is required though to prevent ransomware trojans from hijacking and encrypting your files.

10. Solarlynx

This disinfection of infected files can be necessary if you receive such files from outside of your computer. CIS will delete them and they are lost for you, meanwhile KIS will cure them and quite possible they will be usable. Though me have never met such a case, I'm writing this purely theoretically.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, it can be a problem if you have a batch of EXE files that you cannot find anywhere else. Sality/Virut are still quite problematic and since their coding is rubbish, they can irreversibly break such EXE files. So on one end you need prevention and on another disinfection. Comodo is stronger on the first one and Kaspersky on the second one.

If i have to fix a file infector i'd most probably use Kaspersky, DrWeb, BitDefender or Symantec. They seem to put a lot of effort into disinfection of file infectors. Most of others don't unfortunately. Mostly smaller companies...

12. spywar

spywar Registered Member

NO, it removes in quarantine that's not deleting.

13. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Hello. I have been using Comodo Product for years already, i think their firewall, HIPS is very good but their antivirus might be a little behind Kasperky, Bitdefender, ...

So I would advice you to add another antivirus to run along with CIS, just a little opinion. The choice is in your hand.:)

Regards

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But it can't actually remove the viral part from the EXE file (at least i haven't seen a single case). Kaspersky on the other side, can. And even avast!, AVIRA and AVG can but for a smaller set of infectors and patcher trojans.

15. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Agree. But some avs are not fully compatible with CIS: today many avs install modules in the kernel level, as the HIPS.

16. siketa

siketa Registered Member

You can use Immunet or MBAM Pro along with CIS.

17. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Gosh have not tried Comodo in years. Its really that good now days?

19. Solarlynx

I had Kingsoft cloud AV alongside CIS. There were no issues.

20. Sher

Sher Registered Member

There's no need to use any other program alongside CIS. It's more than enough.

Use Chiron's configuration to boost it even further.

-https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm#main-content

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The only thing it lacks is a good malicious url blocker as the comodo dns is not very good to be honest.
    Otherwise it should provide good basic protection and im using the full suite with the AV.

22. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Personally, I have never used any DNS, but you can try the Norton DNS. It's better.

23. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Encountered a bug with Comodo v6...clicked on Virtual Kiosk and Blue Screen Memory dump time...oh well...you know what happens. Removed Comodo. Sincerely...Securon

24. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Your thoughts regarding the AV are wrong.

spwr.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

From a technological perspective is behind. Especially when it comes to disinfection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.