Comodo Help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Drew99GT, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Hey guys, I have an issue with Comodo and need some help with configuring it. The Comodo forum isn't working so that's why I'm posting here.

OK, this is kind of complicated. My brother is the resident computer guru; he's a Mac fanatic. So our wireless router is a Mac Airport extreme, which also acts as a wireless print server. The only way to get a PC to be able to see our printer on the Airport is to use Bonjour, which is a software program that allows PCs to see anything related to the Airport extreme on an IP networks.

The problem is that even though I have Bonjour enabled in Comodo, Bonjour still can't see anything on the network. In this document it explains that a certain port must be open to Bonjour. I opened it via network control rules and voilla, it finally works! However, won't that mean that that particular port is wide open and anyone could get in to my computer that way? Is there a way to open it ONLY for Bonjour? I actually tried doing that in the application monitor but it won't work because it's a source port that needs to be open; only destination ports can be configured via application monitor.

As you can tell, I'm not well versed in networking and the intricacies of software firewalls! I apologize for darn near writing a book and I really appreciate any help you all could give me. Thanks a million!

2. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

OK, I just dug around a little more and looked at how Bonjour configures the Windows Firewall (Bonjour does it automatically). It opens the port only for computers in the subnet (aka local network). I found in the network control for the new rule I created (in Comodo) for that port 5353 how to open it only for the local network. You click "zone" in the source and destination IPs. Do I need to do it for both? Also, do I need to have that port open for source port and destination port?

You may have to read that link I posted above (it's short) to get a grasp of what my issue is. Thanks again for any help! :)

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Comodo forums back up mate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.