comodo firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iceman25, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceman25

iceman25 Registered Member

how the company comodo have vary good firewall [top 1-3] and its offer
    its firewall for free?

i know is big company with many products but they get any money
    for offer the firewall for free?

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

The reason they offer it for free is because they don't make their money from COMODO IS; they make most of their money from issuing digital certificates to websites, etc.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

There are various ways in which such a free product could be of financial benefit to Comodo...

1) More people become familiar with, and presumably comfortable with, the Comodo name and product(s). If said people want to purchase an upgrade or something else that Comodo happens to offer, they will probably be more likely to make a purchase from Comodo rather than some other company.
    2) If can be leveraged for advertising purposes by including references to, or actually displaying ads for, other Comodo pay-for products and/or other products that in some way financially benefit Comodo. Note: I'm not sure what the latest free firewall version does in this regard.
    3) By having its software on more machines Comodo achieves greater control over how end user machines behave and what they allow/disallow.
    4) I believe the latest version includes cloud features that phone home info. When you use cloud antimalware tools you are essentially working for the company. You are using your device(s), your electricity, your bandwidth, your time, your access to things to collect information for the cloud antimalware company. By offering free versions companies expand the number of people doing this for them.

4. iceman25

yes but is little weird because you see firewalls of vary large companeis
    like bitdefender kaspersky norton panda and in my Opinion comodo firewall is
    the best, in the top ten reviews is number 1
    in other reviews is number 1 or 2
    is little weird because the Investment in the software Probably in millions
    you think them neglect the antivirus and give all the money from sell of internet
    security product[firewall + antivirus] to the firewall development ?

sorry for my english,

5. fax

fax Registered Member

:blink: Generalising... hinting to FUD... Provide evidence that all malware companies collect information for other purposes than the protection of the users then we can talk again. Cloud antimalware products (reputable ones) provides two key advantages. First, from the side of the user delivering better protection, for example, by reducing the time from detection to protection as well as having the possibility to streamline the application running on user machines. Second, antimalware companies can better protect their innovations/IPRs. The detection engines do not resides on client machines but directly under their own premises (no reverse engineering possible). Contrary to what you say, you actually need powerful datacentres (energy and costs) to analyse the information from user clients. Something impossible on users machines.

Disadvantages are manly for companies... just the contrary that you mention: huge infrastructure to cope with millions clients connected to the home base! If this is not solid and secure, the all pyramid collapse.

Sorry could not refrain from posting this as the amount of bulls** and paranoia from some of the users here is really out of proportion.

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I have no visibility into Comodo finances. From the looks of it, Comodo is a group of privately held companies which wouldn't have to publicly disclose such information. If you check out http://www.comodo.com/ you will see they offer a range of products and services. Might some be subsidizing others? Possibly. Then again, perhaps those pay-for products that incorporate the same components/infrastructure as the free firewall are profitable on their own and even after the free version gets factored into the equation.

Checking Wikipedia, I see "The company was founded in 1998 in the United Kingdom, by Comodo CEO, Melih Abdulhayoğlu, a technologist and an entrepreneur. Comodo relocated to the United States in 2004". They've remained in business all these years under Melih. So I imagine they have the financial aspects figured out.

7. iceman25

how much you think software like comodo firewall worth?
    i mean how much money will need for make similar product?

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

because it's a front corporation for nsa. and ...
    just kiddin' :p

because of the reasons explained by fellow members above. :thumb:

9. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Companies can always transfer costs to other products and services. For example, a company might manufacture a collectors item they intend to give away for their 100th anniversary. The company simply increases the price or tax across multiple products by as much as a few cents or less. Even if the company can afford not to transfer the cost, they know your likely to buy other products presuming you have a good experiences. It's all about return business. Probably the only other reason I could see a software company giving away software is if they planned to data mine you in exchange for the free service they are offering. Hence why many mobile applications incorporate advertising and other data collection schemes to balance their bottom line.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That doesn't say anything unfortunately. I am not saying that the Comodo firewall is good or bad, only that "Top Ten reviews" isn't much to go by really.

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

We know that it is in Top3. ;)

12. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I wonder it's considered to be so good because of its HIPS or some features in the FW itself?

13. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Both. :)

14. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

ok, thanks, then it can stay :)

15. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Actually, TheWindBringeth didn't say that antimalware companies are stealing your data or that they are using information for some nefarious purposes. You are practically working for the company by sending suspicious files back to them automatically, and helping them improve their product for free. So this is a plus for the company.

Disclaimer: I don't like cloud based protection, so I might be biased :)

16. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

guess i'm back to comodo 5.12, privatefirewall looks abandoned and they didnt fixed the black screen bug.

17. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I would think it would be a plus for all the users of the product's community as well. Of course, it is up to individual users if they choose to participate. I don't see the problem in providing such data, particularly if one is using the product free of charge. From my view point, it is helping the company that generously provided me with a mostly free security product.

18. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

CURRENT VERSION - 7.0.30.3, posted 12/19/2013

10 updates in two years is not what I would call "Abandoned" No black screen bug here although I know some people have had issues with it. Solid and light as a feather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.