Comodo firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sputnik, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello yeow,
    My example was just to show how to place an inbound rule.
    For some P2P/torrent clients, a second port may be needed, as example with Emule, there is a need for an inbound TCP, and an inbound UDP, these are on different ports. With Utorrent both UDP and TCP need to be allowed inbound on the same port.
    So it depends on what P2P/torrent client you are using.

Regards,
    Stem

2. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Oh I see, much thanks for your clarification!

3. Nature

Nature Registered Member

I just want to add that for DC++ it seems like you have to set both TCP and UDP at the same port number to get the search to work properly.

Other obvious things that some users seem to forget, is to turn off the "random port" option if the app has one... :)
    You should also uncheck "enable UPnP" if there is such option.

If you are a "noob" both at computers and firewalls, there is a video guide for installing the firewall with "auto" option. Video guide
    Go to tutorials.

Hope this helps.

4. cryon

cryon Registered Member

Hi,

I'm a newbie using Comodo Firewall (2.4.17.183).
    Currently after installing, I'm having DDOS attack (UDP Flood) on my computer. The attackers are basically from all my internal LAN network.

Date/Time :2007-02-07 13:09:46
    Severity :High
    Reporter :Network Monitor
    Description: DDOS Attack (UDP Flood)
    Duration: 28 seconds # of packets: 588 # of attackers: 111
    Attacker(s): -
    The firewall has switched to EMERGENCY mode

My questions is
    1. There's a setting in the Comodo firewall, under advanced attack detection and prevention, which states the TCP/UDP packet is 50. Should I increase the packets setting or just leave it at default.

2. What can I do??

Any advise given will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

When my laptop was connected to my Uncle's wireless router I kept getting those attacks. I had it block them for an hour after it tries to get it.

6. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Does Comodo still store its firewall rules in the Windows registry?

Phil

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

last i checked, yes it does.

8. gamersmile

gamersmile Registered Member

After spent hours reading this lengthy post, I've decided to give Comodo a try. Of course, I will install it on my VM machine.

Currently I'm using Zone Alarm Pro 5.5, which works great with my Emule, Bitcommet and other apps. At present I don't have plans to replace ZA

Thanks Stem, Melih and other experts for your instructions!

I will report my testing result to this forum later on.

9. srinat

srinat Registered Member

I'm new to this forum and have been using Comodo firewall sice ver2.2.(and love it)So when is ver3 scheduled for release?:)

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Srinat - As they keep telling people on the Comodo forum, "it'll be ready when it's done". :D I'm not in any hurry, because version 3 will have sandbox and HIPS, and I have alot to learn before I'll know what I'm lookin' at.

11. taragem

taragem Registered Member

I'm dumping Comodo because it won't allow some of my games to run (BF2, COD2). I looked through their forum and an admin said to set TCP/UDP to allow all and move it to the top (done), games still won't run. Contacted tech support and have been getting "we'll get back to you" for a week. It's impossible to turn it completely off without uninstalling and, from what I've gathered, puts registry flags. I'm fed-up. There's not much that irks me more than unresponsive or incompetent tech support. :mad:

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Did your games run OK before you installed CFP?

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If they don't run by simply allowing the pop-up (alt-tab while runing the game), then you probably need to adjust the network rules/ app rules. Look for info on your games as to what settings are needed for a firewall- ports, protocols, addresses...

14. taragem

Yes, they ran fine.

15. taragem

I don't know what you mean by "allowing the pop-up." Alt-tab minimizes the game. As I said, I already tried setting all ports open and also put the games in the FW's allowed programs.

But that's only half the problem, the other is comodo's piss-poor tech support. But I guess that's what you get for free. :thumbd:

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Keep in mind that this is freeware, and your problem is related to a game.

Are you able to allow the pop-up, and set to remember? Check the logs to see if you didn't answer some.
    The main problem is games that start in full screen, and you don't see the pop-up. Try to start the game with min. window. If you open Comodo GUI, and then run the game, probably it starts min., and you're able to answer the pop-ups. I don't know why, and i don't run that many games note, but this works for me somehow.

If that doesn't work, i repeat, get the specs for the game, to see what it needs to connect.

edit: you answered. Does anything appear to be blocked in the logs, when you run the game?

17. taragem

No, the problem is related to the FW.

But that's moot now since I'm installing another FW.

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Good. Find the one that suits you.

19. candoo

candoo Registered Member

I have ZASS 7 on my system and I am fed up of Clean unistalls and Clean installs, every time there is a new version or problem. I had to downgrade to Ver 6 because the Kaspersky AV died on me. So I heard good things about Comodo FW. I have Counter Spy V2 and was thinking adding Comodo FW and Antivir AV. Are all three compatible?

Candoo

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I don't see why not. They should work fine imo

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

candoo - As a Comodo user, I think you made a great choice. I am using it with NOD32 and would suggest it rather than Comodo AV. You could read the Comodo AV forum in the help section and get a better picture of what their AV is like. I just Know the firewall and NOD32 go well together. As an ex ZASS user, I feel your pain. :blink:

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

twl845: i think he means Avira Antivir+ Comodo FW.
    It's still in beta, i too don't recomend it to anyone yet (Comodo AV). Only if you're up to test software and report bugs and issues. Not to rely on it, for now at least.
    Avira should be fine.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Someone - Thanks for the heads up. These old eyes are shot.:blink:

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nah, it's his fault!:D
    Don't worry, we read too fast sometimes, and miss the obvious.

25. Stan The Man

Stan The Man Registered Member

Comodo works very well in my particular set up, but when I started it was a little problematic. I was also slightly "heavier" than I had been used to. But then a program of this type is going to have a learning curve and will have to be reasonably complex if it is going to be capable. In one recent independent test of Firewalls CPF was seen to be out in front and has been further improved since.

For those having problems with CPF I would respectfully suggest that they visit:-

Comodo Forums

There are many people there, including support staff, willing to help. It certainly worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.