Comodo firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sputnik, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

It's free... and still exists :)

2. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Currently saddled with a recently turned slugggggish system. Running Norton Internet Security 2006 which I think is the culprit (I'll explain.) Anyway, I'm looking at replacing it with Comodo Firewall and a small footprint / effective antivirus option.

When I removed NIS2006, my system was lightning fast. NIS had hiccupped last week and started popping up messages that required clicking OK multiple times to use the computer, "Norton AntiVirus 2006 does not support the repair feature...". Did the fixes, no better. Uninstalled/reinstalled, no better. So looking at canning it.

Also using Spysweeper, spywareblaster, Ad-aware, and was using spybot, but on reinstall of NIS Norton said get rid of it, so I did (for now.)

Any advice on...if the system was Totally fast without NIS, would it definitely be the culprit? (don't egg me for being ignorant, please.)

Would comodo be compatible with the spyprotectors above, including spybot? And are there any AVs it's not suited for?

thanks,
    bruce

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

My advise:

Get rid of NIS, after uninstalling and rebooting run their cleanup tools: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid

After you have finished complete removal of all Norton products your computer should be much faster (the regular uninstaller probably left behind registry entries).

Now install either Comodo Personal Firewall or Outpost Personal Firewall (both are extremely secure and Comodo is free). Either way there should be no issues with other software.

You seem to be leaning towards an Anti-Virus, but there are other solutions. Do some reasearch and find which solution is best. Here are some ideas:

Defense Wall HIPS
    Safe'n'Sec
    Process Guard
    Spyberus
    App Defend
    GeSWall
    System Safety Monitor

All of the above options should be easy to get the hang of. Maybe do some searching in these forums to get a good idea of which may suite you best. If you decide to use one of these or something simular, an antivirus could also be used depending on your system resources and needs. Also, the antivirus I recommend is NOD32.

4. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

There are many aspects I can go over, but since Sygate is a dead product I will simply answer you: Yes.

5. Chamlin

AJohn, thanks for your reply. So I'm a go for Comodo. Re: Antivirus, or other defender types you listed, I have no clue what these are, and haven't come across them in the AV discussion threads I've gone through. How do they compare to the best of the AVs?
    Defense Wall HIPS
    Safe'n'Sec
    Process Guard
    Spyberus
    App Defend
    GeSWall
    System Safety Monitor

I was thinking of going with either CA E-trust (free with rebate), but after being around this forum, am now considering NOD32 or BitDefender.

Your thoughts? Anyones' thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bruce

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

BitDefender is good, but it does tend to conflict with a few a/s-apps. such as SpywareBlaster/Guard and SuperAntiSpyware in my experience. I have heard of other conflicts but can't think of which ones it was. I use AntiVir but have not heard of conflicts with Nod32, so that would probably be the better choice.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I just downloaded this firewall, and wow. It seems great so far. The memory consumption is quite high, about 75Mb including the AV, but as I understand they are working on it. It doesnt slow down my system.
    I do find it amazing that they offer this for free. I am impressed.

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

The products I mentioned all use different, but simular methods of protecting your PC. They are not an antivirus because they do not use signatures; They are 'Host Instrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS)' and use more pro-active methods. Try googling some of them and check out their websites :D

9. Sid.D

Sid.D Registered Member

Historically have used Tiny, but due to CA's lack of development I decided to try Comodo's product on my laptop. I've been running for well over a month and the firewall and a/v programs from Comodo are rock solid.

sd

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Re: Comodo firewall activation

I have been looking at the Comodo forums and see that the activation process is a digital certificate. It is said so as to know how many installed versions of it there are.

Does these mean that the f/w is regularly contacting Comodo to let them know it is stlll installed, or can it also be used as a tracking device on your activity? Really not sure how these things work.

11. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

A Digital Certificate is only some data that is digitially signed. It is passive and not tracked. They do not serve any purpose apart from "activating" the product once and never used again (actually their shelf life is limited and expires after activation). Its a simple replacement to "serial numbers" used for activation, nothing else!

Hope this clarifies the issues.
    thanks
    Melih

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

All that I can say is this:

Comodo is a company in which you can trust. I have contacted Melih and am sure he will clear things up.

Edit: See, he is so fast that before I can even post he does :D

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  13. DarkX

DarkX Registered Member

I know this is off topic but Melih is a male name in turkish language :rolleyes:

14. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

Indeed!
    Melih is a male name!! :)

Melih

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thanks, I edited my post. I actually knew Melih was a male, but did a typo :gack:

16. Chamlin

I've been using Comodo Firewall for several days now and for the most part it seems good. My concerns are that after scanning for known apps, and proactively adding other programs to the okay list:

1. My Mozy backup keeps saying that it can't access it's servers. I've removed the Mozybackup and Mozyconfig from the okay list, shut down, then re-added them as approved programs, but still I can't get through.

2. I keep getting numerous incidents of Firefox needing approval. Very big hassle. Seems like I'm always clicking.

This may well be my inexperience with the program, not the fault of the program. I'll give Comodo the benefit of the doubt here.

17. Goop

Goop Registered Member

I'm a relative newbie to the PC and Windows having used a Mac all my life but I decided to switch to the other team on my next computer and decided to try Windows XP on a real PC not using apple's BootCamp.

The first thing I was told by my PC friends was to get a better firewall than the regular XP firewall and AV software so I did a bit of research and, long story short, I decided AVG free and COMODO would be the choices I would try. COMODO has been a very pleasant surprise and I have absolutely no complaints so far especially after reading the posts on this forum. I now feel happy I made the right choice.:D

However, I have one question that's driving me crazy and it's simply why does COMODO keep flagging all my svchost services even though it itself tells me it's a safe process and I've specifically told it to let it through. No big deal though because this is an excellent program. Thanks.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am a relatively new Comodo user, and I think it's great. I have it set to automatic and it runs itself. After using ZoneAlarm for a few years and putting up with the uncertainties of bugs and bad upgrades that could affectively stop you in your tracks, Comodo is a breath of fresh air.:D

19. Jokimoto

Jokimoto Registered Member

New to this forum, though I've searched it dozens of times (all of them useful, so thnx for that :) ).
    I'm downloading Comodo now, after finally tiring of ZA Free's inability to work with most torrent clients. It simply puked and gave up the ghost every time I ran uTorrent or Azureus.
    I'm running Sygate's free version at the moment, but the interface isn't very user-friendly for a knucklehead like myself.
    So after reading 7 pages of discussion here and many more in other forums I'll give this one a go.
    Thnx again to all who've given their time and advice in the past.

20. jrspie

jrspie Registered Member

NOD32, Comodo, Prevx1, Ewido free, Adaware free and Spyware Blaster.
    All for a few months now with no problems.
    Enjoy.

21. Salamander

Salamander Registered Member

Is Comodo vista ready?

22. Jokimoto

Jokimoto Registered Member

Very nice firewall. No more email activation with the newest version: free forever right from the start. More options than my limited brain knows what to do with.
    I do have to shut it down when I go to game online. That's only because it's set to check when new components are loaded, and it was a pain in the ass giving the o.k. for dozens of .dll's
    Other than that, first class. Runs right around 25mb.

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Start the game minimized, and answer the pop-ups. If you shut it down, it defeats the FW purpose.

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@Salamander - not yet

@Jokimoto - u can also set the component monitor to learning mode and then run the game. afterwards just set it back to enable.

25. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi Stem,

Thanks for your step-by-step guide: Comodo Firewall (basic setup). I always refer to it whenever I want to clean install Comodo.

Would like to clarify post#5, on allowing inbound connection for p2p client, should the protocol selected be "TCP or UCP" instead of only "TCP"?

Thanks,
    yeow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.