Comodo Firewall Single Installer

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Moose World, Mar 12, 2022.

1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I wanted to respond but was unable to come up with a definitive answer, because I haven't used Comodo for quite a long time. I don't think it's possible. You can, however, limit svchost in other, restrictive ways.

2. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

The view from 'Olympus' and the Restaurant at the end of the Universe:

Comodo fanboys get very sensitive about their darling and attack anyone who defames it, even when they are correctly attributing bugs, errors, bad code, and such. We had some rather strident attacks on Outpost FW users in the old days. I didn't like Comodo products and it's head oligarch in the past, don't like it still. Pretty veneer, worms under the surface. I at least admit I am a bit prejudiced and wished OPFW had a working 64 bit version for Win11. Ah, well. Can't have everything...Stuff happens... Comodo fans still would rather blame the messenger and ignore the message.

WFC sorta works for me, I try the others as they are updated, but usually go back to WFC, which also has a few 'anomalies', at least it still has someone who updates it when he can. Fort Firewall is coming along, that's got some good stuff in the works, hope it gets more updated features.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  3. tnodir

tnodir Registered Member

Yeap, there’re many tasks yet:
    - Network Rules as in OPFW (on the work)
    - Interactive mode (Ask to connect)
    - Store detailed allowed traffic (Storing a detailed blocked traffic is done)
    - IPv6 support
    - Redesign graphs to look as in Glasswire

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You might give the Sphinx FW a trial (aka W10FC) -- it's the one I use (Plus version). I learned about it in THIS Wilders thread, started by @Brummelchen back in 2015. I have used it ever since I read his comments. It is fully functional for all flavors of Windows, from Win7 forward to and including Win 11.

By the way, I was a long-time OPFW user until its sad demise. R.I.P.

5. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations/Greetings,

@bellgamin,
    Will Sphinx FW blocked or stopped Malware or Ransomware in tracks, and/or will it remove it?
    Just wondering, your thoughts. Overall., Basically on Sphinx FW and why you have
    chosen it. Benefits....
    Kind regards, and always the best,

*Thoughts and opinions on Spyshelter Firewall as well as benefits?
    And would it be a better choice?

Is below true from Post # 23 Decopi,
    "Yeah, you're right, a good FW doesn't need regular updates or upgrades.
    But... CF is not a simple firewall. CF is much more than a simple firewall. As you know, CF has lot of functions complementing firewall functions. Many of these "not firewall" functions require updates and upgrades.

But as I said, updates or upgrades is not really the point.
    CF has lot of bugs... period.
    These bugs were reported since 2020.
    The version launched in 2021 still has same bugs.
    And security software with bugs, no updates, incompatibilities with Windows 11 etc etc etc... should deserve criticism from users."

Again, Everyone,opinions and thoughts from "Post # 23 Decopi"
    Pro's and Con's as well as benefits?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  6. wat0114

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Geez, a CF download links dedicated thread turned out to be a discussion thread...

8. bellgamin

You should direct your questions via PM to @Brummelchen (we are too long off-topic in this thread). Brummelchen is FAR more knowledgeable about Sphinx FW (W10FC) than I am, & his comments in the W10FC thread are the reason I began using it.

9. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Understand completely. I was hoping to hear something about SpyShelter Firewall also,...
    Kind regards, and many thanks'...

10. Surt

Surt Registered Member

I directed the inquiry at Teh Communitty but I greatly appreciate your getting back to me. Cheers.

11. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'm running CIS on Windows 11, no issues here that I can tell.

12. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

For the past month I've been monitoring feedback from a number of friends that have been using CF on Windows 11 and, although certainly not much of a sample size in comparison to total user base, no incompatibility issues have presented. Actually those few who previously had icon in the taskbar issues have noticed this has been resolved.

Personally although for the systems in which I installed Win11 I've also had no issues, I've found Win11 to be far too gloopy for my taste and am staying with w10.

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Win 8.1 Pro here. This laptop won't run Win 11, and for that I am grateful. I'm not tempted to try it. Windows 10 - well, I've had it on my 2015 vintage HP 355G2 business laptop 3 times. All 3 times it slowed this laptop down to the point of ridiculousness. Minute and a half plus boots are unacceptable, and that is trying both the upgrade and after a clean install.

As for Comodo, I don't know what the problem was, but several times it just vanished from the computer - literally. GUI and program disappeared. I re-imaged and re-installed CF a couple of weeks ago and all seems fine now. Not a clue what the problem was, and I choose to leave well enough alone. Comodo is on board, working, and I don't intend to mess with it.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

at least i think it could be the HP machine in total and missing drivers. the A8 cpu is fast enough with its its 4gb ram. i run win10 on an intel e7600 and have no issues that c2d is from 2009/2010.

15. Chuck57

All I know is it doesn't like Windows 10, which is fine. For whatever reason, Comodo seems to be staying now and that was my major concern.

16. Decopi

Decopi Registered Member

Any software recommendation based on personal opinion/restricted tests & experiences, is valid!... but it's subjective.

When for years CF accumulates bugs that are repeatedly reported by user community (please visit the official CF' forum), and when CF almost does not have updates nor upgrades in the last two years (death penalty for security software), and when CF' forum moderators officially declare that CF is incompatible with windows 11 etc... in this context, the insistence on recommending CF is not only a subjective opinion, but worse, it also smells of fanboysm without criticism.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  17. wat0114

I had the entire ruleset disappear from me once, when running Windows 10. From what I understand, this has happened to others as well.

18. Chuck57

I'd probably be considered a fan of Comodo. I've used it since I discovered it many years ago. I've gone away to try one or the other of the 'latest and greatest' but always returned. I don't delve into the innards of the firewall to know what kind of bugs it has or if any have been fixed. I only know that, when using it, the couple of malware (in over a decade) that found me were stopped dead and never got to my HDD.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  19. bellgamin

Ah, now we have the core of CFW's problem -- it actually stops malware dead in its tracks.

I have yet to run across a CFW "fanboy" but it seems trashers are a plethora.

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Whoa WFC over Comodo? :eek:

21. wat0114

Yes.

Is Comodo bug free and completely stable? No!

22. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

This. It may be buggy but it sure is effective.

23. Chuck57

I don't think I've ever had a 'bug' problem, and I've run it since I think v4. I'm sure there are bugs just based on the number of complaints. But, I install it, spend about a minute and a half setting it to Cruelsister specs, and forget it. Set up to CS recommends, it's solid protection and that's what counts.

I don't dig into it and fiddle with this or change that. If I wanted to play with the thing, I'd install it in my Win 8.1 in Virtualbox and screw around with it to see how bad I could mess it up.

24. GrDukeMalden

GrDukeMalden Registered Member

Cruelsister1 on youtube just recently did a test of the magniber ransomware. MsDefender with configure defender on MAX settings failed, but comodo FW with the defaults caught it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4roQH7UxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmkmywJoFDQ

It goes to show you that whitelisting is the only bright future for IT security. It's much easier to track the new releases of legitimate software than it is to tack the new releases of malware. The latest version of comodo is a year old and it still caught this new malware.

And by the way, Secureage! If you happen to read this, since catchpulse can't stop MSI files, catchpulse is useless against magniber. Because that ransomware, like a lot of other ransomware that's going around is installed with an MSI installer.

The other two whitelisting applications out there, voodooshield and comodo CAN stop MSI files.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2022
  25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That ComodoFW is a very effective honeypot TRAP for malwares/ransomwares/viruses you name it.
    Thanks for the heads up about the effectiveness of voodooshield as well.

@cruelsister is amazing!!! Gotta D/L those YT tests ASAP. Extremely instructional! Special mention for WiseVector! SOLID

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.