comodo firewall pro vs online armor free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ahmed12, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxfired

Foxfired Registered Member

I use Online Armor and have been pretty happy with it. Haven't tried Comodo yet. Online Armor basically comes as advertised and doesn't take up a whole lot of virtual memory. Before I started using it I was getting a lot of rogue anti spyware but now I am fine.

2. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

I would not worry about virtual memory it's not "Real", It is rarely an issue. It does not take up Ram at all - It's on your disk.

As for OA or comodo, I would choose comodo - And the reason for this is because in my opinion: Comodo offers a fully fledged HIPS and Firewall for free, Where as to get the full protection from OA you have to pay for it. The free version of OA is "Watered down"

The best thing to do is trial both of them for atleast a week or so and choose what fits your life style best, Get involved with the products forums and see what the support is like and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Kyle

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Completely agree on that last comment, you will only know for sure if you can force yourself to trial them both for at least a week each - monitoring the forums is also very useful. Don't forget that for ANY software/hardware product, the support forums will mainly be filled with problems and complaints as opposed to positive comments, that's what forums are for but you should be able to at least get a feel for the products.

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Agreed on everything but 1 thing.

If I see a support forum with a consistent 2 pages worth of posts a day on new problems. I would stay as far from that software as I could.

5. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I follow the Comodo forum and there's lots of questions but seldom, if ever, 2 new pages per day. Some are legitimate problems users are having, some of them caused by user error. Most are questions regarding settings.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I never said the Comodo or the OA forums in my above sentence. I stated it just like it is. If. :D

7. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey FAJO,

You're always playing being the Devil's Advocate, aren't you?

When I was referring to a comparison between OA FREE and Comodo FREE I focused mainly in a feature that was left out of OA FREE and was included in the paid version. Indeed, I mentioned about detecting insecure/secure wireless hotspots but that is a feature you can live without.

However, the IMPORTANT feature I'm referring to is the AUTO START protection. Whereas the paid version of OA this feature is FULLY implemented the FREE has it only PARTIALLY implemented (See here: http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-protection-software.html ).

I think that's bad because even ZA free has that feature implemented (it also has auto-update). Thus, this 2 feature was backported from the Pro version of ZA to the free version because it's IMPORTANT and needed. So, let's say you are using a desktop that is connected directly to your cable modem through a CAT5 ethernet cable and you boot up your PC and while it's booting, the OS (Win XP) is unprotected from anyone who may want to break into your desktop.
    Why can't OA team just implement this to their free version?

Anyway, the paid version has lots of features that I think should stay in the paid version such as keylogger detection, web shield, advanced mode, etc. because as you wrote, they are a small company and need to make money. I can accept that.

I hope this time you understood my point and just don't argue for argument's sake.

Carlos

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Does Online Armor free allow you to see your network? if you put it on all or some of your networked computer?
    Or do you have to configure it for the network?

I am testing Comodo but I do not like that it is constantly asking me if I want to allow or dissalow and worse it doesn't seem to always remember

robin

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Guess this is where we disagree. It depends on how much value you put on certain features as for me I'm not worried about a 4 sec gap if that before my firewall kicks in if someone can hit me in that precise time and manage to do any harm then I guess I'm left to the wolfs. But the chances of that actually happening are so small that its not even worth typing out. If your computer is already infected. Hence maybe that gap would be more valuable your firewall is the last thing that should be saving you, and your security has already failed.

Some features are just "buzz" others actually help you. It depends one what features are going to really help and who is just really over paranoid.

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Fajo can you please explain to me what the Defense + actually does over and above the firewall part please?

thanks
    robin

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Basically its a HIPS. kind of Like UAC in Vista but smarter. :blink:

12. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I had the option when installing the program to install it or not. I did because I am testing this program for myself and a client who wants a firewall program that is free.

Can you explain to me what it does? because what would have happened if I decided not to install it?

Also can you please explain to me "installation mode"?
    This popped up when Avira free was doing an update and asked me if i wanted to go into this mode.

thanks
    robin

13. Kyle1420

Defense+ is a powerfull HIPS - Host intrustion prevention system
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion-prevention_system#Host-based

I'll give you a quick run down about the modes.

FIRE WALL:
    Block All Mode: The firewall blocks all traffic in and out of your computer regardless of any user-defined configuration and rules. The firewall will not attempt to learn the behavior of any applications and will not automatically create traffic rules for any applications. Choosing this option will effectively prevent your computer from accessing any networks, including the internet.

Custom Policy Mode: The firewall applies ONLY the custom security configurations and network traffic policies specified by the user. New users may want to think of this as the 'Do Not Learn' setting because the firewall will not attempt to learn the behavior of any applications. Nor will it automatically create network traffic rules for those applications. You will receive alerts every time there is a connection attempt by an application - even for applications on the Comodo Safe list (unless, of course, you have specified rules and policies that instruct the firewall to trust the application's connection attempt).

If any application tries to make a connection to the outside, the firewall audits all the loaded components and checks each against the list of components already allowed or blocked. If a component is found to be blocked, the entire application is denied internet access and an alert is generated.This setting is advised for experienced firewall users that wish to maximize the visibility and control over traffic in and out of their computer.

Safe Mode: While filtering network traffic, the firewall will automatically create rules that allow all traffic for the components of applications certified as 'Safe' by Comodo. For non-certified new applications, you will receive an alert whenever that application attempts to access the network. Should you choose, you can grant that application internet access by choosing 'Treat this application as a Trusted Application' at the alert. This will deploy the predefined firewall policy 'Trusted Application' onto the application.

'Safe Mode' is the recommended setting for most users - combining the highest levels of security with an easy-to-manage number of connection alerts.

Training Mode : The firewall will monitor network traffic and create automatic allow rules for all new applications until the security level is adjusted. You will not receive any alerts in 'Training Mode' mode. If you choose the 'Training Mode' setting, we advise that you are 100% sure that all applications installed on your computer are assigned the correct network access rights.

Tip: Use this setting temporarily while playing an online game for the first time. This will suppress all alerts while the firewall learns the components of the game that need internet access and automatically create 'allow' rules for them. Afterwards you can switch back to your previous mode.

Disabled: Disables the firewall and makes it inactive. All incoming and outgoing connections are allowed irrespective of the restrictions set by the user. Comodo strongly advise against this setting unless you are sure that you are not currently connected to any local or wireless networks.

Defence+
    Paranoid Mode: This is the highest security level setting and means that Defense+ will monitor and control all executable files apart from those that you have deemed safe. The firewall will not attempt to learn the behavior of any applications - even those applications on the Comodo safe list. and will only use your configuration settings to filter critical system activity. Similarly, the firewall will not automatically create 'Allow' rules for any executables - although you still have the option to treat an application as 'Trusted' at the Defense+ alert. Choosing this option will generate the most amount of Defense+ alerts and is recommended for advanced users that require complete awareness of activity on their system.

Safe Mode: While monitoring critical system activity, the firewall will automatically learn the activity of executables and applications certified as 'Safe' by Comodo. It will also automatically create 'Allow' rules these activities. For non-certified, unknown, applications, you will receive an alert whenever that application attempts to run. Should you choose, you can add that new application to the safe list by choosing 'Treat this application as a Trusted Application' at the alert. This will instruct the firewall not to generate an alert the next time it runs. If your machine is not new or known to be free of malware and other threats as in 'Clean PC Mode' then Safe Mode' is recommended setting for most users - combining the highest levels of security with an easy-to-manage number of Defense+ alerts.

Clean PC Mode: From the time you set the slider to 'Clean PC Mode', Defense+ will learn the activities of the applications currently installed on the computer while all new executables introduced to the system are monitored and controlled. This patent-pending mode of operation is the recommended option on a new computer or one that the user knows to be clean of malware and other threats. From this point onwards Defense+ will alert the user whenever a new, unrecognized application is being installed. In this mode, the files in 'My Pending Files' are excluded from being considered as clean and are monitored and controlled.

'Installation Mode: Installer applications and updaters may need to execute other processes in order to run effectively. These are called 'Child Processes'. In 'Paranoid', Safe' and 'Clean PC modes', Defense+ would raise an alert every time these child processes attempted to execute because they have no access rights. Whilst in one of these 3 modes, Comodo Firewall Pro will make it easy to install new applications that you trust by offering you the opportunity to temporarily engage 'Installation Mode' - which will temporarily bestow these child processes with the same access rights as the parent process - so allowing the installation to proceed without the usual alerts.

Training Mode: The firewall will monitor and learn the activity of any and all executables and create automatic 'Allow' rules until the security level is adjusted. You will not receive any Defense+ alerts in 'Training Mode'. If you choose the 'Training Mode' setting, we advise that you are 100% sure that all applications and executables installed on your computer are safe to run.

Tip: This mode can be used as the “Gaming Mode”. It is handy to use this setting temporarily when you are running an (unknown but trusted) application or Games for the first time. This will suppress all Defense+ alerts while the firewall learns the components of the application that need to run on your machine and automatically create 'Allow' rules for them. Afterwards, you can switch back to 'Safe Mode' mode).

Disabled: Disables Defense+ protection. All executables and applications are allowed to run irrespective of your configuration settings. Comodo strongly advise against this setting unless you are confident that you have an alternative intrusion defense system installed on your computer

14. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

I read all that (I can copy and paste too :p), I wanted a user friendly explanation.

I want to know what settings I should put for the firewall and the defense +.

Right now I have the firewall set to -safe mode
    and the defense + set to clean pc

for some crazy reason it doesn't remember the application that i put as Trusted after a reboot.

and i want to understand why it goes into Installation Mode".
    For example:
    I wanted to check for Java Updates
    When I went into the Java Icon- the firewall popped up asking me to allow this program and what i wanted it.

first it only showed in the drop down box- New Appl or updater, or system file
    So I checked Allow this application- and checked for it to remember it
    Then I clicked on the Updater part of Java and again the firewall came out
    It asked if I wanted to go into Installation Mode- and because I am not too sure about this one I said YES
    this time it allowed me to put it as a Trusted Application and again I checked to remember
    about 10min or so later again the firewall popped up and asked me if i wanted to take it out of installation mode and I said YES.

I want to understand what installation mode is and what it does and why i need to use it, better.

I rebooted the computer to see if it would remember this

I redid the exact steps above and it again asked for it to allow it
    Why is not holding the settings?

robin

thanks
    robin

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

From my experience so far install mode just kills the Pop up's or at least most of them. Why it installs a program makes your life a lot easier then chain clicking pop ups.

Installation mode is simple, and works for the most part.

if your computer is running in Clean PC mode, then you should have no problem once it recognizes it as a update program.

the only problem I'm having with comodo right now is it randomly kills internet access to Firefox. and not anything else now if I close the fox and reopen it wala it works again. just a minor annoyance. :blink:

Also as for settings I asked this a wile back. Ill find the post and EDIT here once I have found it.

Edit.
    Here is a link for adjusting comodo's settings.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=220375

16. Kyle1420

You use installation mode for installing new TRUSTED applications etc. Could you please make a thread on comodo forums so I can better help you without going off topic here please.
    I recommend D+ being in safe mode.

17. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

well after testing commodor Pro for the past week I do not like it. It uses a lot of memory and also I am now having problems loading Firefox after Firefox's last update. It just sits there and waits to go to a web page.- any web page in fact.

I also found for the novice user it is quite complicated and none of my clients would be able to figure this program out and I would wind up with so many phone calls on what to allow in or out- it would wind up costing me more headaches and money in the long run.

Yes it is free and it seems to me to be good for the advanced user only, not the novice user.

I use AVG Pro with firewall on one of my computers and I basically never had a problem with its firewall side. It does a run of all the programs that are on your computer that it thinks it should allow out and doesn't really bother you that much when asking to allow or not. Also it seems to be more "user friendly".
    the biggest problem with it, it is not free and for some of my clients that is a problem.
    I think I will try online amour free and test that one and see what happens.

robin

18. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I installed Online Amour Free today.
    I like the way it installed with this wizard
    It is actually remembering what to allow out when I say "allow"- so far anyway.
    It seems much easier to configure- it recognizes my network- also seems to use very little memory.
    I will be testing it all week and see how it does. The only thing is there is no way to update (as far as I can see) the program except to download a newer version when it comes out- unless I am incorrect?

robin

19. 3xist

3xist Guest

Usability is on it's way for CIS/CFP...

Watch this space...

20. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You are correct. Though, no update can be found in V3, it can check for new version automagically or by request and also V3 installer has "update" option, which preserves your current settings. This is not fully automated update, but it makes a life a bit nicer :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.