Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 (Final) Released Today

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Adric, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not sure i understand you Diver. The box can be disabled and it learns in silence.
    I think you didn't give enough time to see how it works.
    Myself i will not make an opinion of D+, until i give it some time.

SSM was pretty confusing at first, but since i saw where things were and how it worked, i now think that the free version at least is easy. Like CFP 2.4, second nature.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You mean you finally got rid of SD right?

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

That would have been my choice. lol

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Actually, yes ;)

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

OK, I can disable the box. Next time. I might try it again in a couple of weeks as there was a new build today, and it might not be the last one in the short term.

I just have no Idea how long it takes to learn everything so you can switch out of the clean computer mode. So far it looks like forever because it records every conceivable thing the machine can do. Why cant these things be a bit more selective?

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I found this acts like Kaspersky IS and makes Spy Sweeper scans stop to a Virtual Crawl :gack: Goodbye Comodo, because also the learning thing takes till doomsday, and the installation request mode is also too damn annoying :gack:

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

HI,

DefensePlus can be used and set to be quiet, making it a policy sandbox with hips strength containment. The only thing that drove me crazy were those pending files. After every re-boot I got 426 files or so in the "needs your reviewing list". It seems that Comodo does not deal well with Raid under vista64. This and the problem of Avast update (I think Avast uses a trick by updating its blacklist into a dll, CFP 3 recognises this every time that they are updated). You can not leave the list because by default these are marked untrusted and not all programs will run properly.

When CFP has sorted this out or provides an option to forget about changed files, It is a EQSecure like HIPS feature.

8. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

Any one know if it "gets along" with ShadowSurfer?

9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Yiiiiiiiiii!

I just reformatted and have logged up 1912 files for review? :blink:

10. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

I agree 100%.

I tried version 3.0, and took it out after 30 minutes, couldnt be bothered with all the different combinations. I want to enjoy my computer, not spend all my time worrying about this application or that one doing things.

:thumbd:

11. the insider

the insider Registered Member

IMO : Comodo V3 is too complicated and is not user friendly !! :mad:

12. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Certainly not an easy beast to get the hang of, I have 6000 files for review when I booted back into the snapshot containing V3, not sure what that's all about, but it doesn't like to be disturbed when it is compiling its list, tried to open my browser while this was going on and the whole system hung, had to pull the plug to power down. Updater seems to be a bit haywire as well, currently it seems to be trying to update now and not doing a lot of anything. I think there are too many bugs for me to consider this any more than still a Beta. I don't have enough computer savy to work through all this so I will roll back to 2.4 and await less problems.

13. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Just installed this and was wondering do I need Defense + turned on if I have KAV 7 installed with Proactive Defense turned on?

Surely they are both the same thing?

14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Defense + is a little more advanced than KAV proactive defence, i use KAV aswell, i just didnt install PD during the installation and am using comodo defense+ now.

this is the first HIPS ive ever used, and i dont get what u peep are complaining about, its a great program and i dont get that many pop-ups, at least not enough that it would bug me

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I know what you're saying. And to be honest, now that i'm really looking at D+, i have one major complaint: too many windows open. The main GUI is just a set of links for the real show. To get to individual rules for applications, you get 5 windows, including the main. Not to mention clicks to get there. A lot could / should be collapsed under the same one.
    The firewall has the same logic as 2.4 (my favourite, easy to create rules), but it suffers from the same above problems. The rules at least should be in the main GUI, in a tab like "Common Tasks" and "Advanced".
    I'm going to write them my opinion on this, hopefully they will agree with me.

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Well good :D

17. DickDiver

DickDiver Registered Member

Thank you! it works and I am very much satisfactioned by the FW. Lite and doing its job and FREE!

PS: Somebody using it still with comodo boc especially is there any need to do so with defence+?

18. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Let me clarify my position on Comodo 3.0. My view is a firewall does not need to be monitoring activity that is not related to connecting to any network, period.

Furthermore, a HIPS that takes a shotgun approach is probably going to be useless to the majority of users, regardless of whether it provides perfect security when used properly, and properly is the operative term. Additionally, a security utility that whitelists a PC should do it in the most efficient way, by a system scan. Examples of this behavior are Online Armor and Anti Executable.

I believe an average computer user is subject to risks when using a product like Comodo 3.0 simply because he will become overwhelmed by the complexity of the thing and give an inappropriate response to a warning when concentrating on some other task. In varying degrees this is true of all personal firewalls that attempt to be leak proof.

Perhaps Comodo 3.0 is meant to be a demonstration program of just what is possible, and a test bed for future products to be sold by Comodo. However, I would really prefer a maintenance release of 2.4.

19. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Comodo V3 is gone from my PC, not to return.

Without warning I was locked out of all my folders, did not have permission to access, could not even shut down.

I was able somehow to get into Control Panel and Remove Programs and uninstall Comodo (sort of) and reboot.

I deleted the Comodo Folders from \Program Files\ and elsewhere, cleaned it out of the registry, rebooted, and yet Windows Security Center still reports it as active.

20. Shelty

Shelty Registered Member

I took the plunge to try Comodo v3. This is the first firewall I have used other than Outpost since v2 so it has taken some time to get used to. It is running very light and no problems so far. I have not had that many pop ups. I've spent more time in trying to figure out how it works but I think I finally got it down.

It's runny great on XP with Nod v3. IT can be set to run as easy or as hard as you want it to. I prefer the hard.

Great firewall for being free.

21. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

it would be nice if they release d+ as a standalone application. i dont like this concept of firewalls with hips intregrated and vice versa.

22. firzen771

it doesnt make a difference, because after installation(or maybe even during installation) u can choose to disable it/ permanently deactivate it, the only difference is u dont have to install 2 programs, u only need 1. the only reason ud need the standalone HIPS is if u dont need the firewall

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Defense+ is in approximately the same HIPS category as Prosecurity, System Security Monitor, & EQSecure.

D+ is incredibly powerful. D+ can give adequate protection as we move further into the era of *New Wave* malware that increasingly finds ways to either skirt &/or disable blacklist-based protection.

The New Wave of malware (e.g. storm, polymorphs, metamorphs, etc.) dictates the current or near-term-future use of full-bore "paranoid" security software such as D+.

In my half-baked opinion (in light of the New Wave), the way to go is ---

#1- Install a good NAT/SPI router
    #2- Install a good HIPS, tolerate the pop-ups, & LEARN how to deal carefully with them.
    #3- Full-image the systems hard drive at frequent intervals
    #4- Do recreational surfing & software try-outs in a sandbox/shadow-mode

As to #2 above (even though I am an ardent SSM fanboy) I must concede that D+ will probably be maintained more vigorously, & sustain its existence longer, than any of the other choices.

BOTTOM LINE- Assuming that one has a NAT/SPI router, a *feasible alternative* would be to install Com3 with D+ activated & the firewall curtailed or disabled.

24. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

I reckon a classical hips like Defense + in a popular firewall (esp. for novices) is going to be a disaster. :doubt:

After the learning mode, there's still going to be popups galore and most people won't understand half of the popups. o_O

That's why I've gone back to 2.4 :cool: I just don't have the time to go through hundreds of Defense + alerts, esp. when the software isn't in the whitelist.

25. firzen771

wow, has no one ever heard of the deactivate permanently option?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.