Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 (Final) Released Today

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Adric, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Threatfire is not a HIPS program. It's behavior detection system (BDS). It's working a it different than standard HIPS.

Wonderful firewall btw. Fast, beautiful and works perfectly even with programs like eMule. I wonder how other firewalls even stand a chance against this one.
    It's just, perfect! I'm already recommending it around :)

3. Lasse88

Lasse88 Registered Member

Just me who have problems with CFP3 and SAS Pro..?

Everytime SAS Starts and SSupdate.exe wants to update it gets added as en application in the firewall and Defence+

so restart a few times and you have several applications from SSupdate.exe

(and yes i have tryed everything, make my own rules for SSupdate.exe added is as trusted and so on) but it gets added every time anyway, because SSupdate.exe gets replaced with a new SSupdate.exe when SAS updates(when SAS starts or if you rigth clock on the icon and click "check for updates")

(so if i dont clean out SSupdate.exe from my applications, then if we say i only start my computer once a day. then i will have 1460 applications in total (730 for the firewall and 730 for Defence+))

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Install over v 2? - Not at all in my opinion.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I agree. twl845, uninstall 2.4 before. There are still some glitches note, but it should be stable.

6. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Like todays update for example. Somehow the help file opened when I clicked on the update and incessantly made a clicking noise while trying to open the chm, thus locking the updater such that it had to be killed. PITA

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

:D i didnt get that myself. Did you try to disable updates? It will try to update anyway. The firewall WILL alert you of that, and you CAN block it like i have, but it is a bug.

8. dan_maran

I realize it is s bug ;)
    It was with the auto update option enabled, it came from the "balloon tip" I think. It all happened so fast! HA!
    I don't have the time to report it nor reproduce it, I still have the installer in question if anyone is interested in trying to reproduce it today.
    This is the original installers file name: CFP_Setup_3.0.12.266_XP_Vista_x32.exe

9. dan_maran

To add insult to injury, upon uninstall I was privy to the old faithful, ie. BSOD
    Apparently the dump file was farq'ed but here is the output from the event log.

Code:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xb9ef075c, 0xb71a1ae4, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My install went well, but the desktop icon doesn't work nor does the menu listing. I have to access from the sys tray icon. I saw a post in the Comodo forum complaining of this and they were told to right click on the desktop icon and select run as, and select administrator, which I tried, but it didn't help. Can anyone who had this problem and solved it tell me how to fix it? Thanks in advance.:p

11. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Build 268 released today. Availlable via update under misc. The fixes are unknown but egemen has told many bugreporters that their issue has been fixed. :D. So its just a bugfixing update.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am using the new build 268 and have the above problem with the icon not working. I'm apparently not the only one. can you help me?

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

This should be called RC. twl845, post it in the bug report section, with the title perhaps "BUGREPORT: desktop icon doesn't work nor does the menu listing (V3.0.12.268 x32)" if it's 32 bit.
    Describe the problem the best you can, your specs and active programs.

Other than this, i can't help. :doubt:

14. Coolio10

Most likely the icon was made to open the firewall when it is closed but not to open the gui which the tray icon is for.

15. Dogtag

Dogtag Registered Member

Threat Fire is a behavioral blocker similiar to defence+, you can try to add TFservice.exe to a trusted application in CFP and that should work, but in my opinion that is overkill. decide either T/F or DEFENCE+ and stick with one.?

Try the CPIL leak test on t/f and then with D+ then make a executive decision on what u want..lol

16. Dogtag

Dogtag Registered Member

Yes twl i too have the same problem, i can't enitiate CFP from desktop-icon, looks like for now we have to deal with it?
    Will post in the comodo forums for answers but am afraid i aint got no answere for this at the moment?

17. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

I have a feeling that Comodo Firewall Pro version 3 will top the matoussec leak test again.:D
    Works well with Kaspersky Internet Security & A-Squared Anti-Mallware. All you have to is add it to each other's exclusion lists.

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Comodoo_O

I really tried Comodo 3 on the gamer PC.
    We are behind a hardware firewall, so I could allow all incoming traffic: Good.

Next I could play with the settings of the various security build in modes of teh defense +. One irritating issue was that starting programs always was ask or block (no allow). Okay this can be changed by setting all exectuable and programs in the allow list. Okay is workable

What also was good that you can define (all not defined programs as limited rights programs) = good. As you problably have understood I do not like AE's, but Comodo can be made a policy sandbox with strong classical HIPS containment (good)

Hey, I can add my own registry and file protection: great

Helas then the "you have goy so many programs to evaluate" after each reboot. Allowing all programs of AVAST as installer, could not find a way to solve this surprise feature. After every re-boot the same files had to be evaluated.

Okay I uninstall and wait until this usability problem is solved. So I nearly was conviced of Comodo. Think I give 3.2 or so a try again.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Are there any skins for it?

20. Coolio10

Not yet but there will be soon

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Coolio10, Pedro and Dogtag - I found another thread in the Comodo forum, and Coolio10 wins the prize for the correct answer. V3 is a little different from v2.4 in that because CFP opens automatically when you bootup, the sys tray icon is in essence minimized. So, when you click the desktop icon or the menu listing nothing happens because you're already up. If you shut CFP down then you can restart it by clicking the desktop icon. Sometimes I feel dumb.:p

22. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Same here - however I deleted it and just use the shield in the system tray/task bar thingy (by the clock).

:D :D :D :D :D :D

23. Coolio10

*puppy* *puppy*
    i always delete icons of security software.

24. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Perhaps I should say the training box in the lower right hand corner of the screen seems like it will never shut up. From the discussion of the beta things are not as tight as 2.4 with Defense+ turned off, and off is where a lot of frustrated folks are going to turn it. IMO, this is a great toy for folks who like to play with security software. Its free, like the bread falling from the heavens. But for ordinary computer users its too complex.

Stuff like Threatfire that does not demand much of the user, or possibly OA, is what this world really needs. If its not a no brainer, it will not be widely adopted.

25. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I did not enable Defense +, but left SpyWareDoctor running. SpyWareDoctor flagged about two or three dozen backdoors and the like during the installation of Comodo FW Free V3.

Deinstalled and sanitized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.