COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.18.309 has been released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

These releases are coming out of the oven hot and fast! Maybe too fast o_O

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

That's good that they correct the mistakes fast!:)

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Perhaps these should be called betas.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

For some people it is not fast enough, it not me that I am talking about though :D

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It's bad that there are still so many serious mistakes to correct :)

6. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Could you please list the serious mistakes?

7. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Look at all the release notes/what's new for Comodo and you will see the serious mistakes - they were corrected, of course, but that doesn't boost my confidence too much.
    I have a feeling this thread will degenerate, so I will not coment any further on this thread. :gack:

8. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

It does make you doubt the product somewhat, when there's so many bug fix releases in quick succession. As has been stated numerous times, perhaps they should stay in beta that bit longer and iron out the creases before official release. Thankfully, i've found my holy grail of FW/HIPS now, so this constant updating will never affect me.

9. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I agree. The last update to Comodo no one could import there settings so all setting were lost and everyone had to relearn all there apps. There were alot of other bugs if you see the forums. I think they rushed the last release hence why another release came out so quick.

10. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

So how good a firewall is Comodo 2.4?
    The biggest complaint I see about 2.4 is that you have to run script to import/export your 'net control rules, and sometimes part of your 'net rules will just disappear. I noticed day before yesterday that someone had posted a link to a utility to BU 2.4 settings. I figured Comodo would be all over this to test it and make it an official download until they get all the 3.0 problems ironed out, but my impression is that any updates to 2.4 are done since the release of 3.0. ​
    One of the features I liked about 2.4 is, in it's GUI it was easy to navigate among "active connections", "activity logs" and "network rules", if you needed to quickly modify a 'net rule for some of these tracking-intense websites/forums, and those websites that won't open w/o a tracking/advertising connection that constantly jumps among a bunch of servers as well as internal server IP addresses. (it sure makes me appreciate forums that don't try to connect out all over the net, and I notice that if an alternative quiet-forum is available, I quickly lose interest in the previous one.)​
    It would be handy if a FW had a function where you could right click on a blocked entry in the activity log, and then temporarily modify your 'net blocking rule or better add a temporary single ip address "allow network rule" above the IP address range block to temporarily allow a connecton to the IP address in question, for the current session only. I don't know if any other quality FWs are this customizable, if so I would like to know which one.
    I do like the fact in 3.0 that you can group these tracking/advertising/profiling connections and add a customized title to them, but I'm not sure that is an improvement over how easy it was to navigate in the 2.4 GUI.​
    I do agree that 3.0 should be reassigned back to beta until Comodo gets the major problems ironed out.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,my friend:

Your assertion reminds me of this:

Once upon a time, a boy pointed the cloudy sky to his friends and said to this effect; I see serious cracks in the sky, the sky will come loose and falls upon us. His pals do not understand what he is talking about. Numerous requests to him to reveal his predictions result in nothing . However, while they are puzzling, the sky does come loose---pouring rains. :-*

12. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I'm not defending Comodo here, but does everyone remember how much trouble some of the Zone Alarm versions use to cause its "paid" users? I'm using ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware and it works great, but ZAISS still has its share of troubles which can be found posted in the ZA forum.

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have Logitech's Setpoint 440 and Comodo seems to be preventing some of Setpoints images, even through I have the Image Exclusion control Settings set to disabled (I have tryed exiting too). I have uninstalled Setpoint and re installed several times and I tryed installing the images separately the .exe starts(I get the hour glass but then it just stops).
    @duke1959 I also used ZAP along time ago, I left about ZAP 6.05 .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  14. EricEgan

EricEgan Registered Member

So what softward is your "holy Grail of FW/HIPS"o_O

15. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Online Armour Free. For me, together with my other solutions, is exactly what I need. Setting up and tampering with rules is a breeze and logical. It has the right blend of ease of use and features for my tastes. Comodo in my opinion is just one big mess to configure.

16. Dieselman

17. Dieselman

So very true. There are tabs inside of tabs inside of other tabs. You need to keep track of firewall programs and D+ programs. Its like having 2 firewalls to keep track of. I like Comodo and I think its a good firewall but after a month or so of constant pop ups and pending files I had enough. Comodo is overwhelming for most. Just head on over to there forums. 90 % of people have no clue on how to use it and how to handle pending files. Security should not be so hard to use.

18. laylow21

laylow21 Registered Member

nobody has mentioned the uninstaller yet....in a word useless....

i am manxman on this thread.....my contributions start on page 4...

in short comodo corrupted my SAM files and my machines 2 accs {admin and user the other 3 were locked 5 default accs in total } were both passworded ... xp would fully load but nothing happened whilst trying to type in password .. so i tried 3 different software packages burned to disc to boot from so as to edit the registry in dos mode .. however none could locate the sam files to edit away the password...

in the end i bought a new hp pavillion desktop and slaved the passworded hard drive to it changed the drive properties and recovered all my database files that way...

im now using that hard drive to back upto .. leaving me to buy a new hd and a reformat on a machine of equal spec to the pavillion
    which was 18 month old and reformatted after 12 months..

the cost of a hd and format will be at least £100 plus £750 for the pavillion and screen...

comodo firewall freeware ...my arse is it free....

http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v...ving_comodo_firewall_pro_3_info-t17220.0.html

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

For any given application, if it gets into multiple purposes, that is when troubles begin. Comodo firewall is no exception.

I use it as a pure(!) firewall, all Defense+ are off. And have no problems since day one.

I would guess that those folks who have encountered some degree of problems are using its Defense+ features; either by default or their own sets of rules. Manipulation is brilliant in one sense-meaning user is tech savvy, however, he/she is risking an unexpected consequences, just like taking laws into your own hands. User in this stage should excercise extra caution and know when to halt the horse. Just my loonie sense of the day.

Take care.

20. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Working great here. I have the icon hidden and try not to worry about pending files. :D

21. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

pending files? simple.

1) do not enter the "i am the next great Comodo Pending Files Hero" sweepstakes, by allowing the pending files to pile up.

2) Purge (a large percentage will usually disapper).

3) Review those files still standing for relevancy.

4) Remove the rest.

i have been using CFP3 for over a month now, and i am certainly no Comodo fanboy, i think their so-called leader is a certifiable head-case, and the organizational stucture is cult-like...to me. but they have managed to produce...again in my opinion....one excellent piece of software in CFP3, in spite of themselves. i have FW and Defense+ activated. i had some minor connectivety issues, because i had svchost locked down too tightly, and Windows Update for me was kind of a pain. otherwise this is the best HIPS/FW combo i have used to date, of course others have had differing experiences.

uninstall routine-pathetic-no excuse for it, and in typical Comodo arrogance, they seem to not have any plans to correct this travesty.

Mike

22. laylow21

laylow21 Registered Member

correct it mike....they wont even comment on it...never mind an assurance it will be resolved...

no chance is comodo going back in mine until they give an assurance that the uninstaller situation is resolved.....im going to configure the windows fw to 2 way.....
    as it is only one way by default....
    microsoft dont think the average user is competent enough to configure outgoing connections..

23. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Based on everything in this thread and the other firewall threads, Microsoft is probably right, lol.

24. Carver

Carver Registered Member

25. Dieselman

Screen shots are there but only if you logged in. I see them just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.